Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

I’ve got to imagine there is at least one CA public that would be a safety, but more than likely it’s one your son wouldn’t want to go to? I do understand, if that is the case.

We had our older three apply to at least one in-state (we live in MD) safety just for financial reasons in case merit didn’t work out, but they were not schools our kids would have chosen to go to otherwise. Unfortunately in MD, the small/medium size publics are pretty far from everything. The publics that are more accessible/in metro and suburban areas are pretty large (UMD, Towson and UMBC). So for my kids, neither option was attractive since they did/do not want large schools nor did they want to be “in the middle of nowhere” but they each picked at least one and just hoped their other options came thru with merit. Fortunately for them, it did. Hopefully, D23 will have the same options (we are still culling her list).

2 Likes

There are several non-impacted Cal states that can be considered safeties along with UC Merced if your student is ELC eligible. But I agree that your student has to be willing to attend these schools. What is your local in-service area Cal State? https://www.calstate.edu/apply/freshman/documents/csulocaladmission-serviceareas.pdf

A local student is given priority to their local CSU as long as the major is not impacted.

Both my son’s local CSU was Cal Poly Pomona, both applied to impacted majors and both were admitted so it will depend upon your student’s academic credentials, although this 7/8 years ago.

My nephew got into CPP with a 3.0 CSU weighted GPA for the impacted major Physics 2 years ago so another data point. He was local.

At least for CA students, Community college can be considered a safety especially with the TAG/ADT programs available for CC to UC/CSU transfers.

2 Likes

Our local Cal State is Northridge. My husband and I both went there for grad school because it was drivable, which a lot of people do, but would I send my high achieving kid there for undergrad? No, I wouldn’t. At this point, the California public list is 7 UCs, Cal Poly slo, San Diego State, and Cal Poly Pomona, with UC Merced as a safety with UC ELC. If my son doesn’t get into a school in California we’d be willing to spend 120-160k for, that’s what PUBLIC schools will cost with room and board, then I’d send him out of state. There are certainly schools in California that a kid at the top of his class with a 4.6 gpa can get into, but I’m not willing to spend that kind of money on a subpar commuter school if he has better out of state or private options. Cal State Northridge is great for grad school or for kids who live local and need to commute from home, but the quality of the undergrad education and student life are not what I’d want for my son. I did a masters and a teaching credential there, I TA’d there, so I know of what I speak.

3 Likes

We are also in CA, but I haven’t yet learned much about the Cal State system other than Cal Poly SLO. Do CPP and San Diego State offer a more traditional undergraduate experience (not commuter school), compared to the other Cal States? Is that why you picked them?

1 Like

@socalmom007 that’s what I figured but was just making sure that was the issue, and not that his stats were such that there wasn’t a true safety option (apologies but did not recall what sort of stats he had). While we didn’t have the same problem with our oldest, in the end it was, make D17 attend UMD b/c it was our cheapest option (her financial safety), or fork out extra $$ to allow her to attend a mid-size private OOS. We ended up forking out the extra $ for the private, and while she got decent merit, it was still about $15K more per year. Incidentally, she went to college in CA.

Our sons are both at private mid size OOS schools but with merit and grants, their schools are only a few thousand more per year than our in-state schools.

It remains to be seen where D23 will fall compared to her siblings. Of course, after going the process three times with different scenarios, I figured this time, I’d have a lot of background/experience with the process so D23 would be easier (oldest was mainstream, but my first go round as a parent so big learning curve, then S19 was being recruited for a sport, followed by S21 with learning disabilities so had different needs). Then D23 threw a wrench into what I thought would be an easier application process since I know what I’m doing now. She realllllly wants to go to university in Ireland or the UK which, is a completely different ballgame and going to be crazy stressful.

4 Likes

San Diego State and Cal Poly Pomona both have reputations for rigorous and high quality programs. SDSU has a great campus and student life. I think Cal Poly Pomona is still more of a commuter school. I do think there are other CSUs with good reputations like San Jose State and the tech industry, but I’m not as familiar with their programs as that’s not our son’s interest.

1 Like

And don’t forget, as of 1/26/22, Californians have a new Polytechnic University:

https://www.humboldt.edu/polytechnic

3 Likes

Sexism in major fields: @Gatormama points out an issue with audio recording tech—it’s male-dominated, and intensely. Unfortunately, the program that has taken that on most overtly is at Berklee College of Music, and that’s off my D23’s list because of her severe Seasonal Affective Disorder, and thus her need for a high level of wintertime sunlit hours. I hope there’s a generational shift coming along, though—better than a third of those focusing on recording tech at her summer camp were female or nonbinary. But yeah, for girls going into male-dominated fields (and, though some of the details are different, boys going into female-dominated fields), parents should probably sit down and talk with them about it. (In my kid’s case it helps, I think, that her mother is an engineer, and her older sister is a very successful engineering student, and her aunt is a mathematician, and all of them can speak to the overt and covert sexism they’ve faced and the ways they’ve dealt with it.)

Lengths of lists: I think people stress altogether too much about how long their/their kid’s application shortlists are. I think the crucial thing is whether there is a safety or two (and for the Big Merit Aid™ chasers that’s a financial safety or two, and for everyone that’s an affordable safety or two), and that it’s a real safety with effectively guaranteed admission that the student could be happy going to. If you’ve got that, then everything else is simply a matter of how much time a kid is willing to devote to writing application essays and the like.

Some important related statistics: Everyone should remember that of the college-going segment of the population of high school graduates, the median number of college applications is 2, and the modal number of applications is 1. I am convinced that the whole idea that there is a minimum number of applications greater than X is ultimately the result of an effort to drum up business on the part of college application consultants. (And also, this is a good point to repeat the reminder that participants on CC are not representative of the general population.)

Application difficulty levels: Tied in with all that, and with another nod to @Gatormama for raising this, but there’s a huge difference between applying to, say, most SLACs (though a few, like Kenyon, have very minimal applications) and most state flagships. I have a daughter at Mississippi State, and she jokes, not entirely unseriously, that the application there was so short and easy that she didn’t realize she’d actually applied until it told her it was time to pay the application fee. But she was applying to large public universities (because she wanted engineering), while her older sister applied to a lot of SLACs with multiple essays and such—and it was a much more intense process on a per-application basis for her. This is yet another reason that claims that X applications is the correct number, or that Z applications is too many, are silly at best—even if one student is applying to more colleges than another, the required effort for those applications may be lower, depending on which colleges they’re each applying to.

5 Likes

I agree with @socalmom007 that SDSU although a commuter school has more of a residential feel since most students live within a few miles of campus. SDSU is the 2nd most competitive CSU for student admission with an average CSU of around 4.0.

Cal Poly Pomona is more commuter school than SDSU but has expanded their residential housing to accommodate more students in recent years.

The majority of CSU’s require Freshman to live on campus if they are out of the local service area.

In general, the CSU’s were established to give local in-service area students access to a high quality education. This link might help in regards to residential housing for the Cal states:

4 Likes

Just beginning to think that?

My 3.3 kid doesn’t have his own list yet and it will be mostly safeties or matches.

2 Likes

I hope that y’all stick around, @JaceyK and @2plustrio, as well as anyone else with “low-stats” kids (that is, low-stats for CC—a 3.3 is still markedly higher than the national average). Here on my third go-round (well, fourth, since the Co2025 thread is up and running), I very honestly believe that these “Parents of…” threads are healthiest when we’ve got a wide range of voices and experiences.

And my D23 isn’t low-stats by any definition (though not what I might call “CC-high-stats”), but her final list of colleges to apply to is 100% admissions (though not necessarily financial) safeties, so I’m totally on the train with everyone whose kids end up with such lists!

8 Likes

My oldest S15 was not terribly academic, neither is my S26. My middle kids, D17 and S23 are very competitive. They were/are all four college bound and capable of great things. I think there’s a place here for a full range of students.

8 Likes

I’m a little confused about the housing graphs in the linked article. The discussion seems to be focused on what percentage of student housing was actually in use in January 2021 (due to COVID). Most CSUs were using less than 25% of their available student housing at that time. I’m not seeing information about residential housing capacity at the various CSUs in normal years; am I missing something?

My D is yet to come up with a small list of colleges. She keeps adding new ones to the list ,also doesn’t want to start writing essays.she says she has writers block! Don’t know if such a word exists.She doesn’t know which major to pick in each of the colleges.
I saw a message from her teacher that she has to give the list of colleges and what category (RD/EA/Regular) each belong soon.

Sorry, my mistake in regards to linking this information for Covid housing numbers. The better source may be using the Common Dataset for each campus of interest. Look under section F1 Student Life for housing information. This for SDSU:

Ie. Percent who live in college-owned, -operated, or - affiliated housing
74%- First time Freshman
19%- Undergraduates

Percent whom live off campus or commute:
26% - First time Freshman
81%- Undergraduates

2 Likes

I agree the different perspectives are valuable - in our area I don’t know of anyone without a long list of reach schools. These aren’t all kids with very top stats - reaches for one kid may be targets or near safety for another but the culture is to apply to many schools, many of them at least somewhat selective. We are in a competitive wealthy area and the high school is private well known and highly academic.

3 Likes

Anecdotally, we know of several friends’ kids who applied to Santa Clara this last cycle, all stellar applicants from top local Catholic HS’s and all accepted. None of these families received much aid, and the kids were not offered anything close to generous merit aid, despite being at the top of their classes, excellent EC’s, letters of rec, etc. On appeal, families were offered less than 3k additional aid. In the Bay Area, SCU is not known for generous aid packages, at least in the last few admissions cycles, and their current tuition+r&b rates are running at $70k, fwiw.

2 Likes

I’m not going anywhere. I like being different. I’m very open and honest with our reality here. My D25 is totally average too. I’m quite proud that all my kids are very vocal about finding a true life balance and not being overly concerned about grades.

Some kids can pull perfect grades and do lots of EC’s and not have anxiety or depression. Kudos to them. My kids just aren’t those type of kids.

17 Likes

Our DC has 12 on their list now. I thinks it’s well balanced now. Their planned major (or concentration depending on the uni) changed a couple of times and visits also caused some changes to the list. There’s been little time to work on essays as DC is working full time and taking an online class. Been a busy summer for sure and will only have a one week break before school starts. It’s been hard to fit in visits too, but we managed to get to Hopkins on Saturday. We all enjoyed the presentation and tour. They have major research $$ exceeding the next closest college by $1.5B (Leading R&D investing universities U.S. 2020 | Statista). Seems like there are a lot of opportunities available to undergrads. One disturbing point is I can’t find their common data set; seems they don’t post it.

I scheduled some virtual sessions for the rest that we can’t visit in person (UNC, UVA, NC State, and Pitt). All but 1 school is test optional so we’ve been considering whether to submit or not. ACT is scheduled for this Saturday so we shall see. Still waiting for SAT results too.

DC23 is our youngest so we plan to cherish these last months before college starts and enjoy the journey!

3 Likes

It’s great to see all the schools mentioned; and i can’t wait to hear the process for so many!

we are sticking with auto merit schools. have to; and i am asking her bay-area aunt not to ask this cornfield girl what her dream schools are. Not going to happen!

None of her schools require essays. I hope she’ll have to write some essays for something! maybe special scholarship apps. as much as we want our 4th kid to stay nearby, i think she deserves a chance to check out at least auto-merit schools far away. So we’re not really in the zone with so many of you; but love reading all the talk.

3 Likes