Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Just saw the grade distribution for AP History. Only a shade under 11% received 5s. Its one of the APs with the lowest amount of 5s given.

Theres an account on Twitter ( @AP_Trevor) that has the grade distributions.

S23 did very well on his APs. 5s on Calculus BC, Physics, Spanish and Macro. 4 on US History and Micro. He was surprised about the 4 for US History, but said he struggled with one of the DBQ sections.

I’m just glad that I can still cling to one piece of my high school transcript. I got a 5 on the AP US History (back in the days where we all had to walk in the snow uphill to school and back). So he will definitely be hearing about for the rest of the summer. :grinning:

4 Likes

You’re welcome! Any insight you can provide about Lehigh would be appreciated. I recently added it to S23’s list for its strong engineering and beautiful campus (a verdant campus is highly desired by S). However, I am concerned about Lehigh’s Greek life/party school reputation. Is it overblown or well-earned? S is social, but not interested in Greek life.

What is her area of interest?

Second the recommendation to get that Pitt app in early and we heard about merit at the beginning of November. I don’t know how Pitt merit has been trending lately but if she is instate her stats would be inline for good merit.

3 Likes

Same. He will look at NAU and Rollins

Questions about the Pitt application process - does it matter if you use common ap or Pitt’s ap? Also, they don’t require recs but I know my son’s recs are going to be very strong is it worth waiting until those are done or just apply in August. I guess the real question is do they wait for recs before determining merit? And am I correct in thinking merit is less likely for a high stats CS major?

1 Like

And that sort of thing is really, really good for enrollment management for the college—with that sort of full-court press, they’ll probably net at least a couple students who applied more or less on a whim but then had the idea of going to NAU seem more and more like a good idea.

1 Like

IMO the 3.0–3.5 threads are more of an “approach” than a strict demarcation where the moment your kid has a 3.50001 you’re out.

At some level, it’s a haven from the high-stats drumbeat that pervades many corners of the CC fora.

14 Likes

My D used the Pitt app and I don’t know if the Common App was an option back then. I can’t imagine in any way it would make a difference.

As far as waiting even after you apply you can continue to send material that will be used for merit consideration. My D applied early and had sent her March 2016 SAT (the last one with 3 parts - 2250) to Pitt as a one of her free ones so they used that for admission but she took the ACT in Sept and got a 36 and sent that and it showed up on her app before the merit consideration. Back then the only thing they highly recommended for merit was to answer the 3 optional short answer questions.

This was 6 years ago so I would recommend asking on the Pitt forum for more up-to-date info.

1 Like

Georgetown EA is restrictive- even though it’s not binding, you aren’t allowed to apply ED anywhere with it. I don’t know if people cheat this system or not but certainly you shouldn’t.

2 Likes

Ah yes, apologies I forgot. My d didn’t cheat on it - she applied EA to Georgetown and to BC (which is now ED but was EA when she was applying).

@billythegoldfish @relaxmon - On top of the Restricted Early Action Georgetown also has Single Choice Early Action the prohibits you from other EA and ED applications. Not sure of the purpose outside of signaling a slightly bigger preference???

My S23 is only applying to 4 or 5 schools all local and will likely get into his 2 favorites so he’s been simple compared to my D17…

…which leads me to my advice (which maybe I’ve posted before on this forum but forgot) for those students applying to many schools with lots of supplements and also supplements for their big scholarships. The one thing that I found that really helped my D focus and tailor her applications is that I had her come up with 1 word(or concept) that described her academically, 1 word that described her extra-curricularly , and 1 word that described her personally. Then with these 3 words tailor all her essays and short answers to highlight one or more. She said it really helped her focus and made her apps more cohesive.

13 Likes

I haunted (along with @dfbdfb) the 2019 3.0-3.4 thread for Thing 1. My kid was not superstar stats material and we were looking for merit aid, and so I got very little useful info out of the main thread, because it seemed to be solely applicants to the top schools, who either were gonna get the handful of well-known full-ride scholarships out there, or who were comfortably top stats and whose families were full pay.

If you are looking for merit aid – so you want your kid to be above the middle 50 range, and you think the stats are “borderline” between the two threads – then the 3.0-3.4 thread might have more useful info for you. Schools generally targeted there might be locks for your kid, and merit aid could be forthcoming.

But if merit isn’t a #1 priority, you’re fine with full pay or whatever, and admission to higher ranked schools is the crux, then maybe the main thread is best, as you’ll get more insights into those schools.

At least, that’s the way I eventually sorted it all out!

5 Likes

S23 got his SAT score this morning. Pleased to have matched his older siblings. Even more pleased to be one and done, especially after all the trouble with testing: we had to drive 80 miles from the SF Bay Area to find a test center, then they canceled it (when we lined up at 7am!) due to staffing problems, so we had to go back 2 weeks later for the rescheduled test. The backup plan for a retake in August was to fly to Portland, OR as nothing at all was available in CA.

It’s almost like parts of CA want to stop you from taking these tests, because CA public colleges are test blind and they don’t want any evidence to contradict that decision.

7 Likes

This is an excellent strategy that I will will be sharing with S23. Thank you!

3 Likes

That’s pretty incredible.
I wonder why top colleges around the world rely on standardized tests then @dfbdfb ? Here is Oxford:

Also, rigor of curriculum is very different between schools – both at HS and college level.

Merit is an interesting concept. I think it should be substituted by affordability when parents are looking at colleges. A while back @AustenNut posted a list of net price of colleges after merit. I think something like that is a very valuable resource when looking for schools.

1 Like

The EA program that Georgetown offers is restricted, but it isn’t SCEA. Its EA applicants are free to apply to other non-binding programs including other unrestricted or similarly restricted EA programs.

3 Likes

Ahh, reminds me of the good old days back in 2020, when D21 was desperately searching for an open CA or Western US :smile: test center.

This isn’t true. From the website

In keeping with this principle, students applying under the Early Action program may not apply to any binding Early Decision programs since they then would not be free to choose Georgetown if admitted. Students are, however, allowed to apply to other Early Action or other Regular Decision programs while simultaneously applying to Georgetown’s Early Action program.

1 Like