Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Yes, that’s why I said each family needs to research. Sadly, it was my child’s experience.

If in person events are important to your child then you need to speak to students on campus. The college may allow some events and not others.

Everyone needs to send their child where they feel most comfortable with the policies.

3 Likes

And I’ll just add that it’s very tough for colleges to do this when funding or jobs are on the line. I agree we should expect a fight from businesses and colleges in these oppressive states, but I have empathy that their hands are tied in many ways. I feel many are doing the best they can in a very tough situation and I do appreciate what they can do from a leadership position on campus, since that is in their control. I think maybe if applications or enrollment decreases at certain state colleges, politicians might start to listen since money talks. Or if women, minorities and those who identify as LGBTQ (and their families) move to states which value diversity and freedom for all, that could go a long way too. Or better yet, voters can send the strongest message ever! I agree-we don’t want to get sidetracked from our main discussions but national and state laws and implications for the safety and freedom of our kids are definitely a big part of the decision process now and can’t be ignored.

6 Likes

Orleans Parish (the equivalent of county in Louisiana) covers New Orleans and it had stricter Covid regulations, whether a student attended Loyola, Tulane, Xavier, etc. But (I believe) Orleans Parish was the only one in the state that took substantially more protective measures than the state required. So I do not think that LSU or Grambling were under similar Covid restrictions.

2 Likes

Well, it seemed protocols were strict in New Orleans when rates of Covid were high and relaxed when most of the country began to loosen restrictions due to the decrease in cases and vaccine availability. The Spring 2019 & Fall 2020 semesters were tough but once vaccines were available, they returned to in-person learning, with a few exceptions for hybrid classes. I’m sure colleges outside of New Orleans had less restrictions. but they still required vaccines and masks for many activities and classes, from what I understand.

1 Like

True, I forgot about that. The current governor is a Democrat and through the declaration of emergency for health was able to have the powers to issue mask mandates. There was talk in the legislature of trying to override the declaration of emergency to end some of the measures, but when they realized that by doing so they might lose all federal government money being sent because of the pandemic (and become the butt of many late night hosts’ jokes), they didn’t actually end up going through with it.

1 Like

Nearly every single decision related to providing postsecondary education is an inherently political act. I seriously don’t get how you expect otherwise.

In fact, providing the “college experience” you speak of is itself a political decision—we just don’t really see the things that we agree with as “political”, reserving that label for things that we’re uncomfortable with.

10 Likes

@Gatormama
We visited Loyola NO when my older daughter was applying to schools (2019 HS grad). Very small and intimate school with much different feel than next door Tulane. Everything is kind of right there, friendly people. Campus is near a popular neighborhood but need to drive or get streetcar to go DT.
If you are visiting, WW 2 museum is a must see (as impressive as Smithsonian in my opinion).

7 Likes

If literally everything is “politics” the word ceases to have any meaning.

3 Likes

In our currently hyper polarized world, everything isn’t just political. It’s often ideological. Politics is supposed to be the art of compromise. There’s no possibility of compromise between diametrically opposite ideologies. Colleges are, unfortunately, caught up in them.

8 Likes

I actually find this whole argument amusing. RvW protected abortion up to a viable fetus. Roe v. Wade (1973) | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute Many state laws, not all, (in Red States) coming online are in line with RvW. Actually, the original RvW ruling, states have the power to “regulate procedures” after 12 weeks and “restrict” abortion 3rd trimester or a viable fetus. Fetuses viability (23-24 weeks). The original supreme court ruling was never meant to federally protect full-term and after-term abortions. People boycotting red states because of the color are not researching the actual state policies and how they align with RvW. A college education is about researching and becoming open-minded in your thinking, listening, and understanding of other perspectives (despite whether you agree or disagree). We (us parents) are also teaching our kids to not take responsibility for their actions. With planning, abortions can be avoided for most. I am pro-choice, and pro-self-responsibility, but I am anti-government when it comes to health care. This should have never been politicized, it should be a HIPPAA matter between the “pregnant person” and his/her/their doctor.

2 Likes

While I appreciate the conversation in the most recent posts, can we keep this thread on topic and take the Roe v Wade/politics discussion to the other thread that is specifically about that subject WRT making decisions about college?

It’s one thing to mention here things affecting the decision making for our 2023 kids, but the last few posts are wading into OT territory.

(Editing to fix grammar/typo)

10 Likes

Yes, I believe there is a separate thread discussing these topics already. Maybe we could keep this thread more about our individual kids?

9 Likes

I guess I’ll take my own advice :slight_smile:

D23 has finished her Common App essay! Thank goodness. I think it’s pretty good but honestly, I have no idea. She’s taking the next couple weeks to start on her supplemental essays because once Football season starts (she’s Cheer Captain) she will be crazy busy.

She decided yesterday to throw in a couple of schools that don’t generally have supplemental essays, just in case she changes her mind and decides on a bigger school. Miami in Ohio and University of Arkansas, both of which give good scholarships to OOS kids.

Finally, my intense child S25, is already spending time looking at colleges online. It’s funny how you have to drag one kid across the finish line and try to calm the other one down. Very much the case in this house.

13 Likes

That’s great she has done some essays. My kid is in the “I should really start on my essays” stage. Ha.

2 Likes

Threats help. I’m kidding :joy:

Luckily her English teacher had them outline their main essays at the end of last year. I do feel like I’m harassing her a lot though. To be fair, I remember my parents doing the same to me. I just know that once school starts it will be really hard to get her to focus on anything.

2 Likes

Agree. Same - they had an essay class at school so he has a drafted essay he will be polishing and revising for the common app essay. But there are also a million supplemental essays…

1 Like

Son had a physical last week. The ped said my son is busy and deserves this week off of college admissions chat and applications.

Way to screw mom over doc.

Kiddo needs to kick into gear this weekend! Some of his VIP and free app vouchers only last through end of August.

4 Likes

My kid is in the “actively avoid working on the CA essay” phase of the process.:pensive:

11 Likes

LOL. I can relate to that. My son is actively looking for colleges where essays and recommendations are not required/optional.

5 Likes

Can you pl. tell me where to get Free app vouchers and what colleges?

3 Likes