Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Our private school is sending 3 to Harvard, 3 to Stanford, 2 to Yale out of a class of 62. Crazy impressive admissions.

3 Likes

So I sat the boy down last night to go over some college-related stuff - getting time with him is always difficult because of work and friends - and it was about 9 pm and I clicked on the Common App tab and lo and behold, it was live.

So we sat up until 1 am submitting the easy ones. Eight down and no extra anything!

14 Likes

My kid logged into Common App last night and started getting organized but (unless I’m mistaken) he can’t submit any applications yet because he doesn’t have his class schedule for senior year (will get it in another week or so.)

1 Like

That courses section - we left it with junior year classes.
I mean, it’s not crystal clear. It says if you’re “not currently enrolled” use last year.

I figure if they want the senior year schedule (we don’t have it either), they will ask.

Yes. Eastern boarding school. My kiddo applied for Junior year, and is on huge financial aid, most of the families there are not in our league, so, we know she is extremely fortunate but this is all new to us!

Also- most are like super-competitive scholarships, where you have maybe a 10% chance of getting it.

It’s Tuition Exchange, which is a program for college employees to use to get tuition discounts or free tuition (depends upon each school as to what is offered).

TE is frequently hard to get, especially if the school is in a desired location.

If your school takes in zero “imports” / students, then it means it’s hard or impossible to be an export student and be accepted elsewhere.

It’s nice idea and far from a given.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that. But when we talked to our administrator, he indicated that our school takes in a lot so we should be good as far as being an export.

At my public, we had 1 in my class go to Harvard. She was a legacy and didn’t have the highest grades. That’s when I learned what legacy was.

3 Likes

That’s great news!

Your post made me remember
We are at a small school and it may balance out, because there are not as many exports either.

Did you see the TE thread I started? If you search TE and class of 2027, it should come up.

1 Like

Ah, I figured. It sounded very east coast!

Don’t be shocked

https://www.hw.com/about/HW-at-a-Glance/Matriculation

https://www.thacher.org/academics/college-counseling/where-thacher-students-go-to-college

There are numerous west coast schools with matriculation profiles similar to top east coast boarding and day schools.

4 Likes

@AnonMomof2 is your child applying to USC (the real one in LA)? TE is basically guaranteed if she gets in and it stacks with their merit scholarships. If she is NMF then she would get the Presidential which is 1/2 tuition and then TE would stack to a certain point. My D17 got both and with small departmental scholarships it was close to a full ride.

TE is basically guaranteed there because they have a lot more going out than coming in whereas a school like Pitt they have 25-30 available but they get 10x the number of requests.

3 Likes

Do you have the direct link for this virtual workshop? The link only takes me to a Zoom background.

My daughter hasn’t started any essays either. NO worries!!!

1 Like

It was close to a full ride or close to full tuition?

1 Like

This should take you there:

https://admissions.pitt.edu/visit/schedule/?utm_source=app&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2289

If not, scroll down to this option on the visit page and click the sign up button:

Virtual Application Workshop

Join us on August 3rd at 6:00 PM ET for an Application Workshop where our admissions counselors will be live to help you with the application process and answer any questions you have.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

As I recall, Common App asked for “current or most recent year classes.” We interpreted that to mean senior year classes since junior year classes would already be on the transcript sent to any EA/ED colleges.

We were all feeling pretty good over here until Common App opened today. Some prompts changed and one of his top choices now requires eight essays. Oy! It’s going to be a busy fall with everything else on his plate. Fingers crossed for an early acceptance!

2 Likes

Fly-in program application deadlines are coming up. No harm in applying and they often provide application fee waivers to all fly in program applicants and let you re-use fly-in program essays when you apply later.

Pomona’s fly in program application deadline is August 15, for example. (We are HUGE fans of the Claremont Colleges around here.)

2 Likes