Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Northeastern is a top choice for my son. He really loved the vibe. Not feeling too optimistic on acceptance and merit based on what we saw last year but he did an info session and tour, sent an email to his admissions counselor, and plans to do some virtual sessions.

He received this email inviting him to NU Preview Day. It says “exclusive invitation” for “select students” but do most students on their mailing list get this? Not sure we can make this work, but guessing it would be a plus to attend as far as demonstrated interest. Any insight into what this is? Seems strange to be invited to something like this when he hasn’t even submitted his application yet* or been accepted. Or maybe it’s just another name for an open house?

*His common app & essay is about 90% complete so he’s close!

The email says:

“I am pleased to invite you to join us for NU Preview Day! Taking place on Saturday, October 8, this event is an exclusive opportunity for select students to experience Northeastern University.

NU Preview Day is an excellent way to gain a firsthand perspective on life at Northeastern, and see if it is the right fit for you.
Learn more about our rigorous academics through interactive sessions hosted by our eight academic colleges and programs.

Gain insight into how Northeastern’s global network of campuses and partnerships creates endless opportunities for experiential learning

Hear an authentic perspective on life at Northeastern from current students who share your interests

Meet faculty who are eager to support your unique academic path—and may one day become your research partner

Have your questions answered about the admissions process and anything else that interests you about Northeastern

Space is limited. If you are interested in attending NU Preview Day, we recommend registering soon and beginning to make your travel arrangements. If you have any questions about NU Preview Day, please contact us at admissionsevents@northeastern.edu or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Tim Kelly

My son didn’t receive that particular invitation. He hasn’t demonstrated as much interest yet as your son has, though. (We’re in CA and decided not to visit unless he is admitted.) It sounds like an open house, but with limited invitations. If he goes, I hope to hear more about how it went!

1 Like

I looked at visit options on the NU admissions calendar and there is no option for October 8th so it appears to be “exclusive” as they say and not open for registration unless you get the email invitation. I will definitely let you know if we learn more about it and he decides to go. Good idea to wait until acceptance to visit-that’s no easy or cheap trip from CA to MA! My daughter applied to CalArts for music but she auditioned in Chicago. She did get in with a “top” scholarship but it was still more than most schools on her list and we had to factor in travel costs. So we never did visit.

1 Like

That’s so exciting! Congratulations!!!:balloon:

How long did it take to receive the news?

Interesting. I saw something on that page that said an event of theirs is supported by the Charles Koch Foundation, which has a political flavor to it. Made me wonder. :thinking:

Indeed.

1 Like

So weird it’s only tour visitors, like only unrelated outsiders carry covid :joy:

1 Like

thanks! He applied 8/1 so it was about a month.

1 Like

My daughter attended two schools, one for 9th grade and another for the rest of the years. The most recent school from which she is graduating did not transfer some of her classes that she took in 9th grade since they are only giving credits for 6 classes and not 8 like the previous school. We want to submit transcripts from both schools. Please can someone guide us as to how to go about it. The current school is refusing to add her courses from the prev school in the 9th grade section of their transcript.

Can’t you just request an official transcript from the first school for the 9th grade year?
That way you can show all the classes taken.
On schools using the SRAR, you’ll definitely come out ahead.

1 Like

There’s not a universal way as every college has their systems and rules. Perhaps you should go to the threads for the colleges your student is applying to and ask specifically there to make sure you get the best information. Also consider emailing the AOs for assistance. We’ve had to do it for several colleges already and they are surprisingly easy to get answers from!

3 Likes

What is SRAR? is there a section in Commonapp through which to request to previous school?

Our State Flagship asks the applicants to list all of the core classes taken over the first 3 years of H.S., no teacher rec. (unless applying to honors college) and the school is test blind, so they will not even look at your SAT/ACT. After admitted and if you enroll, they will confirm your grades with the official transcript when it arrives.

Self-Reported Academic Record. It’s used by these colleges:

I don’t know the answer to the last question, but in your situation I would ask the Common App how to go about this (they do answer questions). Worst-case scenario, you request the current school transcript thru Common App, then contact the previous school and request an official transcript be emailed to the schools you’re applying to. And contact the schools’ admission offices directly to ensure it gets there and is linked to your application.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. The previous school emailed asking us to send the list of colleges and the address for them to send over transcript for 9th grade. Does it mean they are asking for email id of the college? Sorry, I am a little overwhelmed so unable to understand.

i have no idea whether they want snail mail or email address; you will need to ask them.

I have the same question as to whether the NU 10-8 Fall Preview Day is truly exclusive or just marketing. My S23 received the same email. I’ve done some searches inside and outside of CC and have not found much.

I haven’t found much either. They probably didn’t do them the past few years (unless they were virtual) due to Covid but I saw some posts about the program in 2016 and 2018. One mentioned them giving a $150 travel voucher and the other $200 but his invite doesn’t mention this and, frankly, if it really is an exclusive invite to one of my son’s top schools we don’t mind spending on a weekend visit (we live in Buffalo so we can drive and save $ on airfare.) He did sign up as it covers all the sessions he would find helpful with the idea he could always cancel. I noticed the visit calendar does not offer events (tours, info sessions) on 10/8 so I think it really is invitation only. What is your child’s major? Did they receive any recognition like NMSF or National Hispanic Scholar (my son received this)? Just wondering if there is a pattern to who is invited. Let me know if you learn anything new or if your child decides to sign up.

It may be new this year. You could try asking on the Northeastern admissions thread.
But NEU is known for marketing gimmicks, so I wouldn’t read too much into it but attending will definitely give you a DI boost.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. We also signed up since it is drivable and he has a strong interest in the school. He doesn’t have any designation like you mention but has high stats overall and had an official tour/visit at NU already. I’ll add anything else I find on the NU admission thread. Good luck.

1 Like