Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Is anyone seeing letter of recommendation bring “in progress” in Naviance. The teacher has submitted to all schools and most show the status “sent”. A couple of schools show “in progress”

1 Like

I believe the updating on Naviance is managed by the HS. For my S23 they tend to do in batches.

Ours shows 0% complete for all schools, has “Sent” in the status and most say “pending” except UCs which say “Initial materials submitted.”

One of the teachers still hasn’t turned in a LoR. They are only allowed to have 2 teachers at that school, plus the GC, and no optionals, so no real margin of error if the teacher doesn’t come through. Same teacher always entered all the grades for the quarter right before they were due after the quarter ended so not surprising. I suspect this teacher will batch a bunch on exactly 11/1.

S23 has a 3.4 gpa and 35 ACT.

He wants school spirit, updated student fitness center, multiple places to eat with decent food, friendly students, possible club sport opportunities with flag football, rugby, or esports. Hed love to be able to go to football games but I dont think thats a deal breaker. Must have solid music opportunities and an area nearby with shops/restaurants/rec areas.

Thoughts on these schools:
Any chances on TE?

Jacksonville U
Stetson
Loyola New Orleans
Bakdwin Wallace
Gustavus Adolphus
DePaul
Shenandoah
Syracuse
(May add non TE schools Northern Arizona U, Indiana U, and U of Minn TC).

1 Like

I wish Dayton was a TE school for you. Your son sounds almost perfect for it.

The only slightly off factor is football. The Flyers aren’t D1 for football, but they have a team and I’ve heard the games are fun to watch.

DePaul ticks all the boxes.

2 Likes

I mean, when I hear “food” and “music” and “restaurants” it’s hard to say Loyola New Orleans wouldn’t give him an amazing cultural experience. For sports… would going to Tulane games and cheering on the Saints be enough?

Edit: Sorry in football season so that’s all I was thinking about and as soon as I pressed reply I remembered BASKETBALL at Loyola!

5 Likes

Thanks for those folks that responded about the delayed admissions portal after a Friday evening submit.

S23 got the email today that they’ve received it and we’re all set. (Well…all set as long as the school gets the school report, GC letter, and correct transcript uploaded in time! Everything else is in.)

4 Likes

@EconPop

U of Dayton is a TE school. It might go on the list but I heard TE is very limited there.

2 Likes

3 decisions here. Grateful they are starting to come in, applications were complete first week of Sept.
I know they’re not schools mentioned often on here. In fact, most of his list isn’t.
Roanoke
Coastal Carolina
Florida Southern
Anyone have any experiences with these schools?

8 Likes

I echo the vote for Loyola! I am admittedly biased since my daughter is a junior but she has tons of friends at Tulane and many students go to Tulane football games to cheer them on and also enjoy the Loyola basketball and other sports too. My daughter is more of a music/artsy kid but lots of school spirit with sports too. And food? I don’t think I need to even go there! He’d be in heaven. I think the gym at Loyola is decent but students from Loyola might be able to share the athletic facilities (and dining) with Tulane if I recall correctly. I think DePaul would be a great choice too. Good luck!

5 Likes

My son is a sophomore at Roanoke. Happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to PM.

2 Likes

FAFSA & CSS Profile Done!! :dancer:t2::nerd_face:

11 Likes

No recent experience with any of those, but Florida Southern has really amazing architecture (the largest single-site collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings!), if you’re into modernist stuff. They had kind of let it get a bit run down, but when we left Florida they were beginning to rehab it, and had just secured funding to get the campus fountain repaired and working again.

I figure any college that can legitimately give campus tours because of its architecture, not because it’s a college, is extra impressive. (At least Florida Southern doesn’t—or didn’t, don’t know if this has changed—charge for the architecture tour, unlike Flagler.)

1 Like

We visited summer 21 while we were in the area. I can’t say we truly experienced campus though due to Covid. Good news is they did fix the fountain and have built a few new buildings on campus. We didn’t do the Frank Lloyd Wright tour but would love to go back and do it.

1 Like

I have lived in the Roanoke Valley for 30 plus yearand and know many students, professors and coaches at Roanoke College. I would be happy to help with any specific questions.

3 Likes

@1intwo2go my son graduated from Roanoke in 2020. Computer science and business major. Non partier. We live in NJ. He had a very positive experience. Beautiful campus. Please reach out if you’d like more info.

2 Likes

@EconPop Actually Dayton is D1 football, but it’s FCS (formerly known as D1-AA).

2 Likes

@2plustrio I can’t speak much about Stetson, other than its location (Deland, FL). We were just there two weeks ago as my son’s team was playing Stetson (week after the hurricane). It’s about an hour north of Orlando, and less than 30 minutes from Daytona Beach. It was a cute town, with lots of history. We were pleasantly surprised what a nice place it was, close enough to Orlando and the beach, but not in the middle of nowhere either. Stetson is located right along the main thoroughfare. There are a lot of good restaurants, bars, etc walking distance from campus. We had two excellent dinners. Friday night after dinner, we were just walking around and happened upon a Friday night artisans street fair with all kinds of vendors (jewelry, art, food, live music). I don’t have any insight on the school itself, but it seemed like it was a great location for students looking for a mid-size university.

4 Likes

Twin 2 just received his acceptance to Southwestern University :tada:…he applied EA on Oct 11! Portal says he’s been awarded a merit scholarship…the amount will be released soon.

One of the CTCL schools in Georgetown, Tx, about 20 minutes outside of Austin. He applied without visiting, but we’re going to their Pirate Preview Day on Nov 14.

16 Likes