Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

UT Austin application in Commonapp asks Summer 2023 or Fall 2023, choose Fall, correct? Freshman applicant ,high school senior.

We went to the open house last summer and it was our first time visiting Pittsburgh too. The campus was very unique. I can’t say I know of too many green campuses right in the middle of a city like that!

2 Likes

yep, fall 2023

We are are in the middle of a EA college app palooza this weekend. I’m playing the supporting role and handling questions that pop up:

QUESTION: D23 is applying to a lot of schools. Most are EA. Should she save some Common App slots for later in case she finds a need to apply to a couple more later in RD?

For example, she could apply to a few now through their alternate portals and save some Common App spots for later. It would be much easier to do all Common App for the schools that allow it.

Want to make sure we aren’t missing something.

1 Like

Common App allows for 20 schools. Coalition doesn’t have a limit. You could try to split between them.

20 is a lot of schools. How many is she applying to?

1 Like

Right now she is at 16 schools. She has some unique things about her profile that make it hard to predict how colleges will see her. Plus she is chasing merit somewhat.

I want her to have plenty of good options come spring: near, far, big, small etc. She still isn’t sure what she wants exactly and we have a good number of visits to do still.

Most of the schools she’s applying to do not require additional materials or supplemental essays so it’s not really more work for her. Just more application fees.

3 Likes

@1NJParent Yes. The “hook” in college admissions is something that many don’t want to talk about, think about or believe to be real. It is real and it is huge. Whether it’s fair or unfair, it exists and MANY benefit who, w/o this hook, would probably not receive admission. As I’ve said many times before, college admissions are a business. A big business. And like business, it’s about who you know and how much money one has. Ugly and gross, yes, but all true.

3 Likes

S23 just texted me asking if he could do a semester at sea? Sure buddy. After I win the lottery.
But it did show that he really does value being able to study abroad or travel abroad with music.
I let him know that some of the schools he is looking at do in fact have programs open to him. Some are just 2 week tours but others are month long or even semester long.

So “odd” things can could tip a school up on the list: Good food and/or many dining options. An updated student workout facility. And study abroad options.

3 Likes

lol every time i see that program I want to do it!!

3 Likes

We just submitted S23’s cal state applications. So nice to have something submitted, but why is it so nerve wracking to hit that button??? He had me go over everything again before submitting and I literally abandoned the payment tab 3 times to double check everything again. Cal poly slo is one of his top choices, so I don’t want to foul that up!

7 Likes

I am with you on that
 S23 has had his cal state application ready to submit for weeks, but is not quite ready to hit the button!

1 Like

I feel the same way you do. 23 isn’t exactly sure what school they’d like best, so lots of options would be great.

We’re also applying to Tuition Exchange schools, so one has to cast a wide net for that.

1 Like

My son got into Jacksonville U which is a TE school. The scholarship they gave him brings tuition down to 7k (I am not including R & B right now). So even without TE its a pretty good deal.

16 Likes

Quick question as we are new here. Our son applied to 12 schools and so far his has been accepted to 2 and denied at 1. Coastal Carolina is his top pick but his app has been put into a “hold” status pending Q1 grades. Any thoughts? We are so new to this and not sure if that’s a bad thing or normal. He has a 3.1 and SAT of 1020. Fingers crossed

3 Likes

It sounds like an unofficial deferral. I’ve heard them go either way. Definitely make sure he keeps up his grades and submit them as soon as he can. And it probably wouldn’t hurt to continue to “demonstrate interest” in any way he can
a campus or departmental tour if possible, etc.
Good luck!

3 Likes

Sort of what we are thinking
disappointed but not giving up. He got into Jacksonville and WVU which he is excited about

7 Likes

Absolutely agree with Hlauburn. It just means they do not know where he will fall with applying students and that they think he is on the lower side right now. Many early applications have higher scores.
S23 seems to be in an unofficial hold pattern for his top choices. His scores should get him in but has not been accepted yet. It is very nerve wracking but it will all work out in the end. The great news is your son has 2 acceptances - Yay!
Make sure he keeps his grades up and good luck!

Thank You for re-posting that. The emotional and mental struggles I faced raising kids who were above average were real. They thought they were stupid and that no college would want them, and then you get on here and you see people post how they don’t understand how kids who excel in school don’t on standardized tests. It is about finding the right college for your student. My DD who honestly thought about suicide, thought she was too stupid because everyone around her was getting 1300+ on tests, and I will not even post how bad it got, will be graduating from an Architecture program with a 3.7 in the spring, and already has a job lined up if she decides against grad school.

7 Likes

I have been stewing on this comment all weekend. You are equating the test-taking ability to intelligence, and discrediting GPA. You should understand. Because a student doesn’t do well on a test with an average time of 1.75 seconds to answer a question is in by no means a measure of their intelligence. There is a huge difference between taking a standardized test and a test at school. First it is the amount of time per question, the environment is familiar, and the student has had the time to figure out the nuances of the teacher’s written communication, to understand what is needed (kind of like you always do badly on that first college exam until you know how that teacher tests). Standardized test questions are written by many different people all over the country. I have a friend who does that for a living. The written communication is not standard, and a child who processes things slowly will have a harder time adapting to the changes in voice. So, I have a child who processes quickly and one who doesn’t. One scored a 30 on math on the ACT and the other a 21, both took college calculus 1 in college, and guess what both received As. How can you argue one is more intelligent than another?

9 Likes

Tell me about it, adrenaline rush up and down as the kid clicks the kid submit button. Gosh this is real :slight_smile:

4 Likes