Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Its alright. Take a deep breath. All will be well! Ask your kid to submit his part quickly. Good Luck!!

1 Like

Kid is in at LoyNo with $25k scholarship - I was not expecting a decision before EA deadline, lol.
Cost is now competitive with his top choice so far.

26 Likes

Huge congrats! My daughter had her audition in early November 2018 at Loyola and they notified her before Thanksgiving, I believe. Gotta love those quick decision schools! It really gave her a boost of confidence moving forward with her other auditions. She knew right away there was something special about Loyola. Wish it were closer to home but we love LoyNo!

2 Likes

Is any kid sprinting to the finish line? :slight_smile: Mine just submited her last.

6 Likes

Submitted about an hour ago. He was busy polishing the supplements and got it just right. Of course, just this morning he had another idea for one of the supplements but wasnā€™t able to flesh it out fully by submission. Will likely use the idea for other applications.

Same thing happened to s21ā€¦the essays he wrote late in the process were better than what was in his ED application; guess writing nearly 20 essays sharpens the pen.

7 Likes

23 is getting faster at the essays here, too. In September, one essay took two weeks due to procrastination.

Last night, they did three applications in five hours.

I hope 23 learns a lesson from this!

5 Likes

Did you daughter go to an accepted students event for LoyNo or just a regular tour? I know we want him to visit New Orleans for the first time before decision day - just donā€™t know if itā€™s worth going for that specific thingā€¦actually, Iā€™m not even sure there is one, but Iā€™m guessing there is.

1 Like

My daughter told me that she had made an error in her common App entry. She had checked that her school calculates GPA out of 5 . She found out they actually calculate out of 4 scale.
She has apply to several school as an early action applicant. What is she supposed to do now?
Since the school has already sent official transcripts to all these schools wonā€™t AOā€™s figuit out?
Not sure what to do. Any suggestions/experience from the group here is very much appreciated!

Well, there are two choices - write to the schoolsā€™ regional admission reps for your area and ask them, or let it ride. Iā€™d do the former.

Re: SAT reporting.

DS has self reported (and sent) his 10/1 SAT score. That test did not include an essay. Once he began reporting, Common app has a field to enter essay score. He entered his essay score from a different test date (3/23). We did not send that dayā€™s scores. Must we? Iā€™m inclined to leave it as is because many schools are not looking at the essay portion, but maybe if it is self-reported, it must be sent?

I will ask my daughter to do so. But schools such as UMD are so backed up in responding to emails. I hope it does not compromise her admission chances.
Thanks!

1 Like

It shouldnā€™t. As long as you have your app in by the deadline youā€™re fine. You have time to communicate with the AO and make corrections.

Thanks for your reassurance. Since I misguided her I feel bad.

My d23 is applying to 4 schools; all focused on merit really. Bama, UNL, KU and FSU.

she has basically 5 classes this year, isnā€™t heavily involved with activities - and randomly told me she wants to take the ACT again as she was disappointed in her score (32) and thinks she can do more; and beat her brotherā€™s score. im just shaking my head; i think if she wants to sign up this week for the december test she can pay for it! iā€™d rather she got a job over the holiday season.

2 Likes

We had 2 visits to Loyola. We planned the audition around a 1/2 day open house event which would have been a perfect overview of the school with a tour followed by her audition. Had a flight set for Friday night so we could be up early for the Saturday open house. But our flight was delayed and our connecting flight was cancelled, so we had to stay over in Charlotte and the fastest they could get us to New Orleans was 11:30am Saturday (her audition was scheduled for 12:30!) So we barely made it to campus for the audition but they were SO understanding and welcoming, gave her some time to catch her breath. We only had a few hours on campus and knew a friend whose daughter attended and was kind enough to show us around before we had to head back to the airport. So it was a short ā€œsneak peekā€ but a positive first impression and I told my daughter if it ended up in her Top 3, we would arrange for her to come back for another visit. They offered a few ā€œaccepted student overnight visitsā€ in 2019 (pre-Covid) so we ended up sending her solo and she fell in love. That sealed the deal. I donā€™t know if they will bring back the overnight events (they did not do a family weekend this Fall so not sure) but Iā€™m sure they will offer some accepted student events and I highly encourage him to attend one of those. Good luck!

2 Likes

If you are looking for more data, like ChanceMe stuff,
this link has real data of what type of students got accepted to what colleges.

Iā€™m a 2022 mom.
Good luck seniors!

1 Like

Anyone else irritated by the emails our kids are receiving right now begging them to apply ED even though the deadline has passed?

ā€œDear (kid), I was eager to see you apply to (school) in time to meet the Early Decision deadline, but I know itā€™s a busy time. Iā€™m excited to give you another (24 hours / 6 days / as long as you want) to apply ED!ā€

Edited to add: Now that I wrote the above, Iā€™m tempted to construct some college application season mad libs to amuse my kidā€¦

3 Likes

Wow! Havenā€™t seen that, but nothing surprises me in the race to rise in the USNWR rankings.

1 Like

Thing 2 got his last application in Halloween night before Iā€™d let him go trick or treating with his friends lol. UT Austin. Itā€™s not really EA, but I they have a ā€œPriorityā€ deadline of Nov 1. His transcripts/test scores etc were all submitted weeks ago, he was just stumped/dragging his feet on the one of their supplemental essays ā€œHow will you change the worldā€ā€¦he got it done though.

Now we sit back and wait for 3 remaining decisions (Austin College, Trinity Univ & UT Austin) and merit aid.

Both of the twins have a couple of Honors College apps to submit for schools theyā€™re already accepted to, those will hopefully get done by next week now that Marching Band season is over!

8 Likes

I canā€™t really comment as Iā€™m not familiar with any other CA schools and the culture at those schools. I also agree that the change in the universityā€™s alcohol policy as mentioned above has been met with lots of student resistance. As I mentioned, my daughter is not a big partier so has not mentioned this as an issue for her personally. I do think the key to ā€œfunā€ is finding your people, whether through a club, sport or other common interest, so that large frat parties arenā€™t relied on for ā€œfun.ā€ To her, a drunken frat party is pretty much the opposite of fun!