Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

FAFSA Question/rookie question- Do we remove the colleges that are already done to add new?

I havenā€™t done it yet but the drill is supposedly that once youā€™re sure they have downloaded the info, youā€™d free to remove them.

1 Like

S23 was accepted to University of Arizona with merit. It was a safety, but itā€™s nice to have one in the bag. His response was, ā€œwell, Iā€™m going to college!ā€

18 Likes

Have you seen this list? Best Colleges for Neuroscience

Thank you @AustenNut

1 Like

Yes. Do not keep any of the original group when you submit your next batch.

I am forcing a drop from my sonā€™s list and itā€™s one of his acceptances (NAU). Both U of A and ASU have put a sudden hold on their music theater programs. While my son is not applying for that major, it does make me uneasy about the arts programs in general. And my son would like a place where he may be able to potentially dabble a bit in theater. It was likely going to be a more expensive option and was not at the top of his list.

Point of privilege: Depends on where they work, unless you mean the final check by the journal publisher to make sure all the style options (e.g., using the Oxford comma or not, British or US spelling conventions) match the publisherā€™s style.

My entire career Iā€™ve gotten peer reviewer comments and revised accordingly, but all the editing except for style-level stuff (and nearly all of that, really) has been entirely my own.

That said, I never begrudge my students copyediting assistance, and explicitly list it as allowed in my syllabi. (If I was teaching a class where the point was acquiring those sorts of writing skills, of course, I might notā€”but Iā€™m not really familiar with pedagogical best practices in those sorts of courses.)

3 Likes

Kid had an interview and it certainly sounds as though it went very well! Fingers crossed hereā€¦

11 Likes

What does a sudden hold mean in this case ā€“ like they are defunding them? Budget reasons or why else?

1 Like
1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s brutal. Arizona was tossed around our house over the years, and both kids are theater kids. I canā€™t imagine being accepted, having planned that degree, and finding this out. ā€œPausingā€ recruiting for 23-24 - good grief, many kids are beyond that point by now, especially in theater.

Still better than just getting the sign-up information for the Bursar account :wink:

2 Likes

Swag is fun! When my DD got accepted to boarding school it was so fun to get a few packages in the mail.

2 Likes

My D has her first college interview next week, but she hasnā€™t yet applied to the college. Is that weird? She is still trying to determine if sheā€™ll apply RD or ED2 to this school which is why she hasnā€™t submitted the app yet.

1 Like

My D had two interviews before submissions as well. I donā€™t think itā€™s that unusual.

3 Likes

Yes, same with my son. He ended up deciding not to apply to one of the schools he interviewed for.

Some colleges offer students opportunities to interview with an admission officer when they visit (generally before they submit their applications). Donā€™t miss the chance to make an impression.

2 Likes

Really? Thatā€™s so odd. I had no idea any college did that. Evaluative interviews, or just informational?

1 Like

It depends on the college. But even if itā€™s supposed to be informative, itā€™s still a good opportunity to make an impression (if itā€™s with an AO).