Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

I have just discovered that I have received the “aficionado” badge from CC.
This is awarded after you visit for 100 consecutive days.
What am I gonna do with myself after next May. Aiyee!!

17 Likes

I got a few merch from friends whose kids didn’t get into DS2022 college for a discount.

There should be a side business for college hopefuls but chose to go elsewhere (or didn’t get in) who bought all the sweatshirts/tshirts, etc.

Who wants a free Michigan Tech wool hat?
They sent it to son.

good luck

2 Likes

Thank you!

A note on COA listings: You do need to be a bit careful, because some colleges play games with them—for example, showing the cost for 12 credits/semester, even though a student needs to take 15 credits/semester to graduate in four years.

9 Likes

Fantastic news!

1 Like

My Daughter and I still wear our Manhattan College shirts nearly 4 years later :).

2 Likes

Great point!!

2 Likes

Same; I don’t want to jinx it by buying a sweatshirt for S23, who will find out “mid December.”

I know that’s irrational :grimacing:

(Because he plays Magic though, last year I found a card called “Acceptance” - that I’m going to give to him as a little memento if/when he gets in here…or elsewhere!)

7 Likes

23 bought merch at every school we visited. They said they’ll keep wearing it even after acceptance to other schools. Time will tell.

College merch seems trendy at the moment in their high school.

3 Likes

In our area, when child gets in ED -all their good friends come over that night and celebrate. Need to have some school color party items and clothes so we went on Amazon and bought everything needed (returnable)… when she was accepted, she texted her friends to cover over 9:30pm and she ran to the supermarket to get food items in her school colors while we parents set up the party decorations. It was a bit hectic but it was a fun night!! No returns needed lol.

7 Likes

I love the MTG card idea…might be stealing it for my twins!

2 Likes

So, is it weird that we haven’t been celebrating much with the acceptances coming in? I mean, everyone is happy about them, but it’s tough to get too excited when even the dream school comes in, since when it comes down to it we don’t 100% know yet if we will be able to afford it! Okay, so we did get some good takeout when one of my twins got word on a full ride. :rofl:

6 Likes

Yes - I believe THAT is a thing in senior year (at least at schools in our area) - EVERYONE is running around in college sweatshirts, it’s a fashion moment that had been anticipated over 3 years - and for some, it’s a very “in the face” way to let everyone know what acceptances have already come it.

And - if that is one way to make up for all the application/essay-writing/SAT/ACT stresses… let them have a little fun with it.

3 Likes

Sounds rough on kids who get bad ED news? Around here everyone is strongly encouraged by the school not to overdo the celebrations, wear merch to school, etc, when so many of their friends are getting rejected or deferred ED. Though kids do still celebrate with family etc.

4 Likes

Ack, haven’t been here in an age! My D23 has 5 of her 8 planned apps in, I’m letting her take a break and do her final 3 regular decision applications over winter holiday.

In terms of merch, all D23 has is the Pitt t-shirt she got when we toured. She says people keep asking her if she’s going to Pitt when she wears it and she just shrugs and says “I don’t know but it was a free shirt.” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

@relaxmon my DD23 already got into her ED school and her friend group was happy to celebrate with her. No one felt bad that night, only joy for their close friend. However, She has 3 good friends applying to the same ED school and realistically they all won’t get in… she will celebrate with her good-friend that got in if they ask and comfort the one who didn’t. I think it’s more important that we as parents stress that they are all deserving and that this decision does not define their future and will eventually get into a great school for them.

3 Likes

Same situation for us. I wish we were in a position to celebrate these acceptances but I think it might be a few months before we get the FA decisions and can really decide. For now, it’s a high five.

3 Likes

OK, so my kid did not even apply to this one school and they sent him a handwritten birthday card and there was obvious thought taken in writing it.

He was so stunned and grateful - he said, “They spent more time on this than grandma did …”

He’s writing them a thank-you card in return.

12 Likes

Where is your area out of curiosity? There’s zero celebration around here.

@citivas we in an upper middle class suburb in the north east where it’s common to have a “commitment party” when you commit to a school. There is also a “bed decorating party”. This is where your friends surprise you with your bed completely covered in clothes, food and party supplies all in your school colors/logo. I understand that some here will find it all a bit excessive, I don’t disagree but once some kids do it ( and the Instagram pictures that follows) it becomes a trend. I personally think it’s all unnecessary but we moved to this area and it’s what people do when they have money to spare.

4 Likes