Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

My thoughts exactly.

Didn’t she also figure out how to triple the world’s potable water supply, come up with a cure for Covid, strike out Aaron Judge, bowl a 300 and have her art featured in the Louvre?
You really are modest :rofl:.

3 Likes

I’m not a poster of acceptances but have no problem with people bragging about their kids. So many years of hard work and to get a great result is awesome. Rejection is part of life and shouldn’t hinder opportunities of other parents to have their day in the limelight. For many it’s a total family accomplishment so I say brag away.

1 Like

“Time and place”

4 Likes

“Nice about the world hunger, but would’ve expected a little more effort re: cancer cure. Waitlist.”

4 Likes

Agree. I think an internet site about college admissions is the place. I really enjoy reading all the great opportunities our children have. I’m inspired that the next generation is striving for greatness in whatever field of education or work they choose. My child’s accomplishments aren’t diminished because someone else had a higher SAT or received admission to their dream school.

9 Likes

Honestly I wish more people would post on social media - I absolutely love seeing where all these kids who grew up with mine are going or what they will be doing.

I do see some value however in waiting until March. My son got in to his ED school pretty early and is one of the first at his school to find out, and it honestly just doesn’t seem to be the right time. In fact when people ask him he generally will say he hasn’t heard yet - there is just so much stress right now.

8 Likes

My D22 went thru the most difficult times of her life from 12/15, when she was deferred from her ED school, to around 3/15 when she received her first acceptance.
She had no EA application, and that was the only thing that I regretted from her admission experience.
In the end, it all woked out and she’s really enjoying her first semester of college, but it was really hard 3 months that she had to wait when many of her friends were getting acceptance every week.

7 Likes

My kid’s school has them wear a shirt from the college they are going to at their last band, choir or orchestra concert. If there are not going to college they just wear a regular shirt. I always feel a little sad for those that don’t have a college shirt (I don’t know if it bothers them or not and there are usually a handful of kids who don’t have a college shirt) I have thought to myself maybe they shouldn’t do that so no one feels bad but then it keeps those who are excited to wear their shirts from that excitement. It is a part of life as you say

6 Likes

Our school has kids wear their college shirts on commitment day. I’ve seen kids in army and marines shirts too.

4 Likes

I know most kids dont care but do any other parents secretly root for the schools where their kids get personal emails?

2 Likes

My kid totally cares!
He does not open any email that isn’t personally to him. And he’s figured out that having his name in the title doesn’t make it personal.
#educatedconsumer

3 Likes

My daughter’s Pitt acceptance was followed by a “personalized” video. Being authomatically generated to include her name at various points, it wasn’t truly an individual response. But it was so goofy and charming that I’m now irrationally delighted by the idea of her attending.

9 Likes

Beloit’s communications with my D23 have been all around terrific, the highlight (to me) was referencing her essay in her acceptance letter and quoting back a key turn of phrase within it to demonstrate why she would fit in there. sigh I’m in love.

My D23 thinks it’s way too small. It is quite small. I still wish she would go there.

11 Likes

If you are irraritionally delighted, their marketing is doing a good job :slight_smile:

8 Likes

wow :slight_smile:

It is sad.

Agree. :slight_smile:

As far as posting on social media, the May 1st college decision time is one of my favorite times of year, seeing the pride of friends and family as their children move to the next chapter. I’ve personally never seen them as “braggy” or rude but I do think we have to be sensitive to students who did not get their dream pick college or had to deal with rejection along the college application path. The truth is that Facebook is more for parents. Our students are too busy on Instagram and TikTok to even look at these posts so, unless parents are pointing out every one of these posts, my guess is that they aren’t even seen by students.

My daughter had a unique experience when she applied to colleges in 2018/2019. She was originally going to study musical theater, as most of her friends did, but ended up shifting to a major called “popular and commercial music” since she was more passionate about a singer/songwriter path and recording/performing her own music as well as the business/law side of the music industry. There weren’t too many colleges that offered what she wanted, so that helped us focus the search and she applied to 9 schools. She knew musical theatre was extremely competitive, but had no idea how many rejections her super talented friends would get. They were very discouraged along the way and she avoided talking too much about her acceptances and positive audition experiences. One of her final decisions to come in was University of Miami (Frost) applying to the MADE program. Her audition was great but she knew her ACT score was below their standards so it wasn’t a complete shock when the rejection came. I was expecting tears and her being crushed, but her first reaction was: “I’m so glad that I can use this to talk to my friends who are dealing with college rejections and they’ll know I can relate and understand.” And “Miami made a big deal about SAT & ACT scores during the tour and if they want to reject me based on one score, it’s not the school for me.” I was so proud of her empathy and positive attitude about this and actually felt it was a good thing she had that one rejection as it opened up the conversation to the value of attending “the school that loves you back” which ended up being Loyola New Orleans who showed her ALOT of love in terms of praise, communication and money! I always told my kids that character is #1. If I get notes from teachers about grades or academic concerns, I am ok with that. But if I hear from teachers about bullying, excluding students, lack of respect, cheating, etc.-that’s a different story and I have a zero-tolerance policy for that! So I would maybe even say this moment-which I was expecting to be negative-was the highlight of her college search journey in my eyes because it shined a light on her character and made me so proud. We need to teach our kids compassion, empathy and that there are ways to pass along personal good news without making others feel bad.

I do question the May 1st college swag day at schools a bit because not everyone fits in. There are kids who choose a non-college path and there are kids who are still on waitlists at that point and not sure where they will commit to (my daughter’s BFF had a perfect SAT score, perfect grades, local and national theatre experience-applied to only top theatre schools- and was rejected from 4 colleges and waitlisted to 3 for musical theatre, finally getting off the waitlist for Ithaca in June 2019-so that was a tough day for him* and she gave him extra hugs and encouragement.)

*Note: he ended up deciding musical theatre wasn’t for him, transferred to Columbia with a nice merit award and is now studying law in London as a Fulbright scholar-so things do work out and kids learn from these challenging moments!

I’m just saying all of this to make the points that:
-we and our kids should be sensitive about what and how we post on social media
-rejections can be teachable moments and nothing to be ashamed of
-mental health issues are real so friends and families need to direct students for professional help if needed which focuses on learning coping skills and being able to deal with rejection while also seeing the light at the end of the tunnel when things seem tough (we can’t live in a world where nobody shares good news for fear of someone out there feeling bad or where we get overly upset when others share good news-there are skills that can be taught and practiced on both sides of that.)

16 Likes

I mentioned a while back that I was closely assisting my nephew with his college application process. Sweet kid, pretty decent SATs (1260), total slacker with underwhelming grades to match. Some of you all gave feedback and some recommendations a while back. He ended up applying to about 12 schools
a mix of likelier, realistic targets and only one reach (included schools like St. Edwards, LoyolaNO, Duquesne, Nova, LoyolaChi, etc). Even though it has its faults, we used the collgevine simulator to have a point of reference for propabilities given his profile and manage expectations.

So yesterday he got into his second school (Seton Hall) which was one of the schools with a high % of acceptance. Heck, the fact that he has choices just makes me happy at this point.

36 Likes