Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Still one application to go…he’s been really fussy about the essays for this last one. I can tell my wife is starting to lose patience with how close he’s getting to the deadline (don’t think she noticed how close he was to some of the previous deadlines).

And soon the waiting game begins. Good luck everyone.

6 Likes

This reminds me of a question that I have about calculus. When I was in college, there were two calculus levels: Calc I was single variable calculus, Calc 2 was multivariable calculus, and then Differential Equations.

At the community college where my son is taking dual enrollment classes and at our state universities there is a 3 class calculus sequence, and then differential equations. Is that standard? Has it always been standard and my school was just strange? How do the AP Calc exams map onto those calculus classes?

from my two boys at 2 different state schools - Calc BC was worth Calc 1 & Calc 2 in college. Both started in Calc 3; then went on to diffEq. One didnt need to take it for his major, but did just for fun. ( :woman_shrugging:t3:) My D23 will start in Calc 2

4 Likes

Didn’t say doesn’t matter. I said doesn’t matter as much as before. But my comment wasn’t related to expense. It was related to someone saying UCSC might be better because it has access to more companies relative to other schools. And I was simply noting that in terms of grabbing a summer internship, that matters less than before.

As for expense, many companies offer housing assistance - my son had an allowance that paid for most an airbnb. His friends did as well.

Honestly though and I see this from kids who had vs. didn’t have internships - getting an internship is key to getting a job. Those who get an internship (and they’re not easy to get, especially prior to the end of Junior year) but those who get have an easier time getting another and then a job. So even if someone paid double housing (meaning their campus lease and another short term rental), it’d still be worth it in the long term game.

I was talking about access - not housing, etc.

Thanks

3 Likes

Complete burn out, working on the last few apps, just some scholarship essays left out now for today. Phew! God Bless all the kids working so hard to get in and to save their parents money.

12 Likes

Personally I include every “mandatory” expense when comparing colleges.

Thus schools that will require plane tickets will also include (in my personal COA spreadsheet) the approximate cost to travel to and from school for however many trips would be made.

Remember also, that sometimes it’s not only plane tickets, but it’s the plane ticket, plus cab, plus train, etc. (I was from the PNW and went to college first in upstate NY, and then I transferred to a college in western MA; both colleges required a series of trains and cabs from the airports that were practical/possible for me to fly into.)

6 Likes

+/- grades: As a professor, I liked it when I taught at places that had a +/- system—but I liked the one where a B-/B/B+ all counted as a 3, not the one where it was 2.75/3.00/3.25. It didn’t penalize students for being at the low end of a grade band, but it let me differentiate.

Calculus sequencing: Historically, calculus was taught in four 3-credit courses at colleges that primarily use 3-credit courses, and as three 4-credit courses at colleges that primarily use 4-credit (or the equivalent) courses. The more recent trend, according to math professors I know, is to teach calculus in three 4-credit courses everywhere. Same coverage either way, just different timing. The problem is with transferring—you lose time transferring credits from one system to the other.

7 Likes

my D23 too – just cooked. still 4 more she wants to submit over next few days. Last night as the deadline loomed she wailed – I can’t remember anything I ever did or why I liked it! Been a hard balance between parental support and a bit of schedule forcing/just do it. can’t wait until it’s over. And we have no EA decisions yet! (not that many of her schools had EA options) Ugh

1 Like

NYU says here that half of their applications come in within a day or two of the deadline. Can that really be true? That’s a lot of last minute applications!

I’m anticipating my son will start in calculus 3. He’s in dual enrollment calc 2 with and A+ right now and he’ll take the BC test.

Yes, my understanding in there are generally 4 levels of calculus. My son has college credit for calculus 1 right now and is currently enrolled in calc 2.

1 Like

Back in 1976, when I was a freshman there was Calc 1, 2, 3 and then Diff Eq. Don’t think much has changed. All were semester courses.
In High School AP terms, Calc AB = Calc 1 and BC = 1 & 2

Both my D’s took BC (got 5s). One placed into Calc 3, but started in 2 (which was fine). The other placed into 3 and took that (which also was fine). She also took Calc 3 in HS.

Both of their schools used Placement tests, not AP scores to place their level.

1 Like

I totally believe that. My D (and many of her friends) were all last minute applicants. Not that she wasn’t done ahead of time, but she kept tweaking and revising until the last day.

7 Likes

Anyone else struggling with the itch to send in a few more apps? Keep seeing a few schools pop up with mid January deadlines :crazy_face:

Someone needs to take away my laptop for the next two weeks!!

7 Likes

I find this relatable! I keep asking myself exactly WHY didn’t she apply to this particular school again? But then if I do dive in I remember that I did my research already and there’s a reason it’s not on her list! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I am a person who gets things done early, but why is turning something in on the actual due date considered last minute?

Nope, D is done. Almost have too many? But better than too few. Plus with interview requests coming in, there is a lot left for her to do before she is really “done”!

5 Likes

Yeah, every day a postcard or two comes from a school pushing for an RD app. I put the postcards by where my D sits for dinner and they normally go straight from her hand to the recycling bin (or sometimes sit a few days in a lonely pile first).

7 Likes

same!

2 Likes

Lonely :crazy_face:

1 Like

Here, they travel around the house. I look at them, put in a pile for S, he looks at them (not reads them), tosses them back on my desk, I put them in a pile of paperwork, rediscover them a week later, put them in another pile for son, who studiously ignores them, then we have a sit-down where I say “look.at.these.” and he looks at them and maybe throws them out, but usually hands them back to me and then I throw them out. He likes the St. John’s (SantaFe) ones, usually because they’re book-ish, or thorny philosophical questions.

3 Likes