Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

True. Also, I wonder if many schools are extending deadlines until other similar schools that have EA release decisions.

Maybe trying to give the opportunity to apply for kids that are:

1. getting shut out
  2. want more options
  3. just want to be done with the process & EDII might be a good option
1 Like

These are S23s proposed majors! Itā€™s such a weird combo- good to see someone else doing it.

2 Likes

Then they would have just set their own deadlines later in the year from the outset - instead of extending it only in that December of that one year where some people were struck by bad circumstances in the last week or two. Besides, if they were hoping for more fresh applicants, they would have made a huge announcement to ā€œrope inā€ as many as possible.

Besides, EA doesnā€™t prevent anyone from also applying RD at other schools (which they would have already done), thus not need extensions.

2 Likes

I agree. Schools should set deadlines from the outset. That would be VERY frustrating to have submitted an app by the deadline only to find out the deadline has been extended.

I was just guessing why schools might have done so.

1 Like

I SO love her journey! And that she blossomed where she was planted and LOVES her job and has a CAT!! :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

My C25 is considering double majoring in econ and philosophy.

Econ, particularly the arts & sciences type rather than the finance type, allows for some astonishingly flexible approaches.

3 Likes

They had explained the reasons, why some lenience was warranted this time around at year-end. Thatā€™s why all this guessing/insinuating is puzzling.

Rather than being happy for other people who were affected by extraordinary circumstances and otherwise absolutely would have missed the deadline, people decry the fact that they themselves did not miss it.

1 Like

Yes, All my kids will definitely need graduate school and wish not to have debt. My 21 gave up her dream school for no debt. She is aiming high for Grad school, because, in the end, no one will care what school her UG degree says.

3 Likes

William and Mary has automatic ā€œfeesā€ of $6500/yr to make you think their tuition is reasonable. We are instate and cannot afford either UVA or W&M.

1 Like

Depends on the school, read the small print. The University of Arizona will only allow you to apply the UG merit scholarship to 1 semester of graduate school.

1 Like

didnā€™t realize thatā€¦ my son didnā€™t apply there (he was considering it) so I didnā€™t look beyond the basic tuition. I did see that UVA was pretty pricey, but Tech, Mason, JMU and VCU all seemed ā€œreasonableā€ (it is really weird to me that I now think COA at $30K/year seems reasonable).

2 Likes

I have numerous friends whose children were able to get school loans in excess of 100K with their parents co-signing. So that is not true based on your familyā€™s financial situation

Yes, kids can get more loans with the parents co-signing - which puts parents on the hook in case of default. I would not head toward retirement with that kind of anvil swinging overhead, no matter how perfect I think my snowflakes are.

3 Likes

My 21 got a $6000 at VCU, making it competitive, but it was still cheaper to go elsewhere. They kept emailing us a year later asking why we didnā€™t choose them. My 23 received nothing from Mason and $5000 from ODU, making ODU financially competitive. But there are 3 schools in Ohio that freeze tuition/room/board for 4 years that are currently at the same price and less expensive than ODU. Virginia is unbelievable. Out of 4 kids, they are not retaining any (and I am hoping to move out of state soon, myself). All those taxes for nothing.

1 Like

Me either, college debt is their debt. I saved up my whole life for them to have modest 529s.

3 Likes

Yes, but that is the parents debt, not the childā€™s. The parent can hope the child will pay it back, and they certainly should!, but the parent is ultimately responsible. Kids can only take out around $27,000 in loans in their own name.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, which universities in Ohio have out of state tuition cheaper than ODU with a $5000 scholarship? ODU tuition I think is about $11K per year, so with a $5K scholarship that would be about $6K a year. Are there Ohio colleges with an out of state tuition rate less than $6K? That would be pretty great info for people to have.

In general I think Virginiaā€™s public universities are very high quality, but I havenā€™t done a cost comparison. Also, the community college system in Virginia is also very good. Iā€™ve taken classes at NVCC and was really impressed by the quality of the classes.

In general the cost of education has gotten crazy though.

Thatā€™s because you took them in Nova. :wink: You might have a different view if you took them elsewhere. I took an Econ class a few years ago at our southern VA cc. I enjoyed the class. I liked the instructor (though my kids were 10 years older than his, lol). But difficult, it was not. I donā€™t think I missed a question all year with no studying or homework required. I had over a 100 average at the end.

I think Virginia colleges are very high quality. We are lucky to have them to be in-state. W&M and UVA are really high, but the others are reasonable for the quality. But! VA is VERY stingy with scholarships. None of this auto merit stuff - at least at W&M, UVA, VT, JMU. We didnā€™t apply to the others.

2 Likes

UVA tuition OOS is on par to private school tuition. UVA barely has any merit scholarship. The Jefferson scholarship is not associated with UVA - separate entity gives the award and itā€™s only to specific regions and first gen I believe.

2 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s about $18K/year for in-state and $50K for out of state. itā€™s definitely pricey, which I noted.

Note thatā€™s just for the College of Arts and Sciences. UVAā€™s College of Engineeringā€™s tuition for in state students is a whopping $28k/year (and $64K for out of state). Thatā€™s just tuition.