Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

I guess Northwestern and Northeastern are directionals.

Just kidding! :rofl::joy:

4 Likes

Same. We have grade deflation, and that causes an issue when looking at schools that award scholarships based on GPA.

In fact, the grade deflation can result in extra college tuition costs of $20,000-$40,000 over four years. So, attending the private school is even MORE expensive.

After my 23 graduates, I will bring this up with the high school.

1 Like

Schools that are state unis/colleges but not flagships. Many kids choose these based on their career interests. So, someone that does not get into NCSU might choose to attend UNCC or someone interested in premed might go to ECU, which has a med school.

1 Like

Where I live - we have a private school - and I was looking at their placements. Yes, they have the Harvard, Princeton, Gtown - but they also have the Auburn, UTK, MS State, etc.

I’d assume - when parents initially send their kids to these high fallutin schools they are banking on a similarly prestigious college. At least initially - although I suppose there may be other reasons for choosing the school (perhaps learning disabilities).

Makes you think though - that parents should, after learning what we have on this board, have a thought toward college costs before choosing a private school for the reason you just mentioned.

1 Like

Ok
 would it be accurate to say that a “directional” school is

• A state school (not private)
  • Considered to be a lower tier than a state flagship
  • Primarily serves students in its region (part of a state)
  • May have primarily commuter students
  • But also not a community college

In CA, CSUs are designed to serve a local region and most do have a large commuter population, but they may also be considered to be pretty strong schools (at least in some area). For example SJSU is a major feeder for the tech industry but is also a regional commuter-type school. Would it be considered a directional school?

4 Likes

Same with UMD. An AO there was reported to have said the school is the University of Maryland and not the University of Montgomery County.

1 Like

The GPA definitely hurt my son in auto merit at Arizona, but not at Alabama. The UCs are evaluating recalculated weighted gpa and unweighted. One thing they’ve done to help level the playing field is they designate students as ELC- eligible in a local context. My son is UC-ELC, top 9%, even though his 3.75 unweighted GPA sounds low by some metrics. It hopefully gives the context that his school doesn’t have kids graduating with 4.0s.

1 Like

When people say directional, they’re talking about schools with direction - so you’re W Michigan, E Kentucky, etc.

But it’s just a term people use - but it means your non-flagship/main schools.

Is a Truman State directional especially when there’s SE Missouri or Southern Missouri State?

Is UC Merced a directional? Or Cal State East Bay?

You can make your own distinction. I’d personally say that Cal Poly SLO and SDSU are not directional. But a Cal State Fullerton - while not directional (it’s not Cal State Inland South) - but it’s the same feel. Same with a San Marcos or Bakersfield.

It’s like the what’s anLAC forum - it is what you want it to be.

The schools with directions on them are gimmes. How you define UVA Wise or Florida Gulf Coast - it’s up to you. To me, they’ve got the same purpose as a directional, etc.

What’s in a name?? There’s no formal definition of any of these things - it’s all in how a person defines it.

But Southern Illinios and Western Michigan are nationally respected names for what it’s worth
but yep, still directional :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bama just has a 3.5 for the highest level but requires a test score that Arizona won’t even acknowledge.

Miami of Ohio uses weighted.

Others - Ms State, Murray State, Truman State, Mizzou and many more seek your GPA - so that’s without regard to rigor.

It really depends on the type of school - and of course those with rigor, even at schools that don’t check that box, but with rigor, you often come in with credits whereas if you take a regular schedule, you won’t.

3 Likes

The UCs will primarily consider kids academic performance in context of their HS. And since you are in-state, they likely have a VERY good understanding of the local context.

1 Like

Once again, this only matters for colleges that practice holistic admissions. Auto merit schools do not care about which classes you take – AP Env Sc is the same as AP Calc BC to get that GPA.

2 Likes

Not in Virginia. UVA Wise is a Satellite campus, often used as a pathway to UVA for Arts and Science majors. Few schools are named after their location, Radford, and Norfolk maybe.

1 Like

There are other reason people send students to private schools, not just as a means to get into certain elite colleges. I teach at a private classical Christian school and I would say the quality of the public schools, teaching methods, and cultural values are more often driving our families to enroll in private school, as opposed to college outcomes.

2 Likes

I was specifically reassuring @socalmom007 about the UCs.

1 Like

This is, naturally, part of what’s going on with this.

But people tend to remember the past very, very badly—of course grades were less inflated back then, right? Well, no.

(Which is a large part of the reason that anecdote is most definitely not the singular of data.)

1 Like

Cool was that last year and is he at Northwestern now? My son just got into Northwestern ED and is thrilled.

1 Like

Yes, that was last year.
He’s a freshman at MIT.

Good luck to your son at Northwestern!

3 Likes

Many colleges (selective colleges too, i.e. University of Michigan), recalculate the applicants gpa’s and do not take +'s and -"s. An A- is the same as an A and A+. So your kid has a high probability having a 4.0 to many of the colleges he applied to without you even knowing. And these same colleges don’t even look at weighted gpa (again University of Michigan) and only look at courses taken for rigor and types of courses taken based on applied major.

This is why “the kids with A minus averages do just fine in admissions”. They are recalculated to be 4.0’s

4 Likes

Some families choose private or independent schools because they think (ETA) the education is significantly better than the public option, and they are willing to pay for that. Small classes, no behavior problems or threats of violence, engaged, motivated and smart student body with supportive families, close relationships with teachers, robust college counseling, etc. I’ve taught in both public and independent schools and my children have attended both, and in our experience, there is a world of difference between an independent school and even a “good” public school district.

7 Likes

My daughter was accepted into the D’Amore-McKim School of Business and we were curious about the General Education requirements. Are students required to take language and science courses or is the program 100% business classes? Thank you.

Blockquote