Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

And we keep getting these even though my kid is a jazz major. :joy:

1 Like

That must be it. But I’m glad for those kids who need an option right now or more time to pull things together. We had a hard time getting everything done with a very sick family member in November and December, and I can imagine this could make a difference for some kids. I know it doesn’t seem fair to those of our kids who struggled to do everything on time. I’m just looking on the bright side of this crazy extension phase.

4 Likes

Well - at OUR school that information was gathered FROM the students/parents, by sending out a questionnaire. The hook was, that it would appear in the graduation booklet - but the motivation for the school is, of course, to be able to tout the grand total in their annual press release to justify annual school tax increases to the general population.

Point is: it was self-reported (although “verified” by counselors). Many kids/parents couldn’t be bothered to do any more paperwork after all these applications, FAFSA/CSS, enrollment forms
 - which might explain your experience.

1 Like

Noticed the same thing about Naviance at our school. The amount of decisions compared to applications is ridiculous. I made sure to remind my boys to update it so can help others. Communication was so terrible with D18’s school that I have no idea if they even used Naviance. I will have to ask her.

Average High School GPA increased from 2.68 in 1990 to 3.11 in 2019, that seems like a pretty big increase. I believe it has increased at an even greater rate since covid, over the last 3 years. But interestingly 12 grade math scores have decreased. Suggests they aren’t learning more, just getting awarded higher grades.

According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress released in March, high school graduates earned an average 3.11 GPA in 2019, up from 3.00 in 2009 and 2.68 in 1990. While average GPAs, credits attained and the number of completed STEM courses have risen within a decade, the national average score on the 12th-grade math portion of NAEP has declined.

5 Likes

This must be true. And it makes it so awkward for a kid who got a 3K scholarship at a state school that costs relatively little, while their friend got 40K at a private that still costs more.

As for whether kids talk about finances, I can add that my kid talked the other night about a friend’s family’s finances. He and his friends are very close and they talk about everything. They’re also a support group for college disappointments, like his friend who ED’d and got rejected to a dream school, and for celebrations. So yes, anecdotally this group does discuss money.

3 Likes

In terms of finances, DH and I used to have conversations occasionally where we would say, “We know how much money we make and what our lifestyle is
everyone else we know must just make so much more money than we do.” Being pretty satisfied with what we had, for the most part we’d just raised a glass in the general direction of the house of the family we’d been discussing and move on.

That was all well and good before one of our neighbors was arrested, charged, convicted, and sent to prison for embezzlement. Turns out
that incredible lifestyle they were living wasn’t them making more money than us.

So, at this point - we don’t assume anything about anyone else’s finances. I am more than sure plenty of people are making more than we do, plenty are getting support from extended family, and plenty are putting purchases on credit. But unless you are in the weeds of someone else’s finances - you just don’t know.

I also know that neither our neighbor’s spouse nor his children had any idea of what he was up to until the arrest happened. So, any conversation that children are having about their family’s finances I take with a large grain of salt. From my own children, I know they half understand certain conversations and often erroneously fill in what they missed
so any kind of “this is how so and so is paying for college” I just smile and nod.

7 Likes

Well, they were bringing home that much money. Just not legally. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

This is what I’ve always said. We have a small house compared to some of my kid’s friends, and we know that some of them make huge purchases, but things can be deceiving. My kid has some college money that his grandparents saved to hand down for education. We used some of it for him to go on a two-week study abroad trip. One of his classmates’ moms said they could not send their kid, and it occurred to me how posh we seemed. I told her, his grandmother died. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I probably should remind my senior of this. Some have a big hat and no cattle. Others have a small hat and lots of cattle. You never know.

9 Likes

AKA all flash and no cash.

5 Likes

we’re waiting on most decisions still, but look – I’ll admit this is a stressor in our family too. There’s knowing the logical thing, and then there’s the feeling, the unknown about “what if”, and I’ve just accepted it’s real. Whether we pay for that “what if”
 well, we’ll see if we have to cross that bridge. We won’t kill ourselves with loans, but it’s more a question of using up what we’ve saved – or having $ leftover if D23 wants to go go to grad school (or I want to buy a camper van!)

3 Likes

Don’t underestimate the expense. I had a frank talk with my daughter tonight who has started Hello Fresh and spends money like it’s going out of style because she says she saves me a boatload on tuition. When I point out her rent is $1350 or so a month, we paid $1K to get her out of a bad roommate situation, and she had $8K in medical bills last year plus we pay for the sorority and it’s endless.

This came up because she’s going abroad and I told her she needs to choose from an exchange program (same cost) vs. an affiliate - like paying for a semester at another school.

The financial stress of writing checks is huge; it’s bigger than just hearing the #. I have way more saved than I need but it doesn’t mean I should spend it unnecessarily.

Take care of your financial health first and foremost - would be how I’d play it. You’ll never regret not spending more. YOu may regret spending more.

And inevitably, college will cost more than you think.

Good luck.

13 Likes

Ain’t that the truth?

5 Likes

My daughter’s school does this, it’s one account handled by the student council, there is a “divider” pic where one year ends and the next year begins. I love that it’s the same account, so you can scroll back through the years and see where all the kids went. The design of the announcement pics is unique so each class makes it their own when it’s their turn.

2 Likes

I would appreciate your assistance. A tough decision to make.
Business schools: which one is best?
Mays Honors (Texas A&M), McCombs Regular (UT Austin), or Bauers Honors (UH)?

In terms of job placement, which is better?

If the goal is job placement then go to https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/ and find out what beginning salaries are for each university for the major of interest. Also, ask to see the first destinations reports for each school from career office.

Without any other qualifying factors, location preference, big budget difference, direct admit, or not, etc
 I would go with UT Austin 100%.

3 Likes

I cannot comment on UH but the other 2 are both great options! Not sure how different costs would be for the 3 in your case. They would all be bargains if you are in-state but not sure if scholarships factor in in terms of total costs.

For A&M/UT, do you have a preference on location? We live in Austin but I also understand not everyone would prefer Austin over College Station (don’t mention to other Austinites!). Cost of living is likely a lot lower in College Station as well.

If you are looking for a ‘regular’ business job in Texas, you won’t go wrong with either. From a recruiting standpoint, our company hires from both quite a bit and I have been very impressed with the talent coming out of both schools. I would personally say UT with slight edge for purely placement but they are both outstanding. I would pick based on campus vibe and personal preference on location. Both have some advantages.

We are getting knee deep into finances in my house the last few days. We have always talked about money with the kids so they would understand things.

D23 like many others on the board has a decision to make. The two schools are similarly ranked. #1 will cost $70K more than #2 over the course of 4 years. She likes #1 for the school itself a bit more than #2. She has thrown in a bit of a monkey wrench. She has always wanted to be a HS teacher and possibly a professor. We always thought she would go the route of History/Social Studies, but we know the game and would prefer her to add another certification as well. I was thinking English because she loves to read. She probably would be able to do it because of her APs. Recently she has brought up Spec Ed with like a concentration in Deaf studies. I am not sure what they even call it. #1 has a program for that but it would be hard to add the History/SS cert. #2 she could get the History/SS and have time for a ASL minor. If she were a bit crazy she could add some Spec Ed classes.

The swing the money results in her taking out some loans for #1. For #2 she could keep her 529 money and use that later for either getting Spec Ed certified or a Masters. And with the new rules she could roll any unused 529 into a Roth IRA.

We put all the money on paper for her to see. Tonight we will show her the tracks she could go for different degrees/minors at #2. She was worried that #2 wouldn’t accept her APs. She is sending an email to two of her teachers and the asst. superintendent(personnel) to get their thoughts and opinions. We did require on the email to them that she state the cost differences.

This in not an Alabama vs Yale decision. These schools are similar.

3 Likes