Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Great news on his acceptances! At the moment, Loyola NOLA is my son’s front runner. You probably know this, but since I’ve been to both, I can tell you Seton Hall and Loyola are very different campuses. Will he be able to tour a couple before choosing?

1 Like

Amusingly, my D23 opted to apply to neither Seton Hall nor Loyno, and said at one point in the process that they felt really similar to her—they both felt small to her and a bit cramped (read: buildings packed close together), plus of course the Catholic imagery.

This is what happens when you’re dealing with a kid who realizes that a campus needs at least 20k students to feel even close to big enough.:sweat_smile:

1 Like

It is definitely small! It’s just about the size of his high school. Tulane and Audubon Park feel like part of the campus to me, making it feel a lot bigger, and of course it’s right in the city, but nothing will make it feel big like UNT. I don’t think my kid cares about the Catholic imagery. He’s just excited about the jazz, and he’d probably overlook a number of things that bugged him to study in NOLA. We shall see soon.

3 Likes

I work for a Jesuit. Im not even baptized.

My son wanted a bigger school. He said having Tulane resources helped it feel bigger. We shall see when he compares it with a big public state school back to back.

2 Likes

D23 is leaving now for a school Spring Break trip. It’s “unplugged” and they take their phones, also to a place they required a typhoid shot. I am a tad nervous! She’s at BS so haven’t seen her since January. She’ll be home the 12th for a week though, and hopefully will hear from 3 schools that week.

6 Likes

We are also waiting on 13, all RD so no decisions yet!

I can’t stand the waiting. Especially since a number of the schools don’t have a published decision date.

I hope these next 3-4 weeks fly by quickly…or we at least get a few positive decisions soon, so I can relax.

7 Likes

Still waiting on 5 here, 3 of which were EA deferrals so slim to no chance there. Applied to 15 total - 6 in-state safeties, 4 select/target and 5 reach. Most of his friends already know where they are going and roommates and such… he’s got one he’s fairly excited about and he’s trying not to dwell on waiting for the others - which won’t come until after the 18th with the last not until April 1st. We are chasing merit/aid so we’ll need all offers on the table to assess ROI.

2 Likes

I’m definitely with you on the Socio Economics of that! It changes everything no matter where your child goes! My own anecdotal experience.
My husband and I both graduated from UT- Knoxville.

• I was first EVER (even big extended family) to go. My dads advice was - you need to forget that & get a job.
  • We were low income so NOW I know I would have been eligible for lots of aid. My dad didn’t give me his tax statements (no one’s business but his) so no FAFSA.
  • I started at a 2 year. One class a semester or 2 if I could afford it. I lived on my own & worked full time.
  • moved to UT when I was 22. Didn’t know about orientation. Didn’t know where the caf was. Rarely bought books. I had two jobs and came to class and left. My grades were decent but not stellar.
    My husband was always expected to go to college. * His mom did. His Dad did & (was a chief of staff to a politician). All his relatives did.
  • husband went to expensive DC area prep school.
  • His job in college was being a student. No distractions & he had awesome grades. Got to know his profs. Found mentors, Etc
    We both graduated from the SAME school with the SAME degree. Today, he’s the Executive Director of a national organization. I…am not. Haha. wasn’t a slacker at all. He used to say- How do you even make decent grades at all?!?! College for me was like being in a foreign country and not speaking the language. I’m not blaming anyone. I just wasn’t even aware of what I could get out of it or what may have been available. I didn’t even know the questions to ask. It is absolutely not just about the classes. It’s connections, opportunity, the ability to actually take time to BE a student and be mentored along the way. Without that, classes are just a tiny part of the whole process. Students that are legacies of Iveys are already so very ahead of the pack. Good for them for sure but it’s hard to hear when people leave out the enormous elephant in the room- socioeconomics/class.
18 Likes

Our DC has 4 decisions and we’re waiting for 8. They had a scholarship interview which was an all day event. My biggest issue with the late decisions is how to fit in the ASD visits. The HS only allows for 5 days of absences and the scholarship day took 1 of those. Ideally we’d use spring break for visits but it’s the week right after last decisions. If DC gets in, there are 4 colleges that we’ve not toured yet at all. March is the longest month, I swear! Anyone speculate why ASDs are not published? Can’t find them on websites for most schools; only in the kids’ portals after acceptances. Well, we’ll try to make it work when we hear back. I’ll try reaching out to admissions so I can at least make tentative plans.

Good luck to all those still waiting. This is our youngest so empty nest here we come :smiling_face_with_tear:

7 Likes

Admitted student days are “marketing” - they’re great - but in the end, if you want to see a school, plan to go see a school outside of these…because seeing the school is far more important than going to the admitted day…you have to use the time you have most efficiently and for many that will be spring break. You won’t be the only admittee on school tours, etc.

good luck.

9 Likes

D is only waiting to hear from one more school, but its the one she cares about the most. So far she has 7 EA acceptances, 2 deferrals and 1 waitlist. She’s moved on from the schools where she was deferred or waitlisted and we have visits set up at two of her accepted schools in April. We’ve seen both before but she’s pretty undecided between the two, if her #1 school doesn’t come through. April seems so far away and kind of late to make a decision, especially at one of these schools where housing is first come, first served based on when you enroll. I know she is feeling done with this whole process and just really wants to know where she’ll be five months from now. Me too!

3 Likes

Having the same dilemma here… His top two schools will not release until 3/18 and 3/24… our Spring Break is 3/25-4/2 and we were hoping to work in visits that week. One school we could drive to (6 hours away) but the other would require a flight. We do have two visits set up for that week with safety schools offering good merit (one definitely in budget the other a small stretch). I think it should be required that all schools release by March 1st. It’s very difficult to make a decision in 30 days especially if you have to figure out how financial aid will rest with all the extra fees (health insurance) and costs (travel) which will need to be weighed in to the decision. You think you’ve done your research until you get the acceptance and realize there is so much more to consider.

6 Likes

I have a S24 and we are already thinking (and worrying) about this. These schools seem to expect you to enroll and pay housing deposits the minute you are accepted or make you feel like you are SOL in terms of any decent housing. At least the schools he is looking at (mostly SEC schools). It is frustrating.

1 Like

The flip side is the comfort for kids that comes with having things settled. My kids are super high stats but only applied to 3 rolling admission non-reach schools where they were pretty much guaranteed great merit and Honors. Accepted last fall. Visits and open houses done before senior year. Registered for housing last fall as well, and orientation registration is this week. It has made it a very relaxing senior year for them which was important to them. They didn’t want the stress and scramble that comes with applying to schools that don’t let you know until March or April. So just different choices. One of dd’s friends hasn’t heard from any schools yet.

5 Likes

Several of his schools open applications on August 1 and he is planning on doing all of those. I told him he could potentially decide very early (Step/Oct) of senior year if he has a few acceptances under his belt that he is excited about. We are visiting three of them next Month, visited a couple others last year. I definitely think what you described makes for a much more relaxing senior year and he would benefit from not having that stress.

5 Likes

If they’re southern schools, higher test scores often mean faster acceptances and higher merit. Just an fyi. :slight_smile:
I’ve asked my kids if they regret not reaching higher or feeling left out as friends are still anticipating decisions. It’s a hard no. Lol. They were just so glad to be done.

1 Like

s23 just got a decision for his last school a few days ago and we’ve scheduled an ASD on March 25. ASD events for two more schools on his list are in early April during spring break and then decision time. It can’t come soon enough!!

4 Likes

Waiting and waiting and waiting over here. D23 has been accepted to 2, but decided to withdraw from one of them (just decided she was never going to attend, so might as well withdraw). She’s in at Penn State UP and we visited and she loved it, so she is very relieved to have that. But she’s still waiting on 6, two of which are Ivies. She absolutely LOVED BC a year ago, wanted to go ED, decided not to, and now is saying she doesn’t want to go to BC at all based on different factors (disparity of wealth at BC, lack of diversity, etc). (She’s still waiting to hear on BC as well) So we shall see how it all plays out!

7 Likes

S23 is waiting to hear from one reach, but more importantly, the next two weeks will give results of four major scholarships and specialty program acceptances that will influence his final choice. So even though he is accepted with some merit at four of his six (with 1 Ivy EA rejection and the outstanding reach) until these decisions come out, he has no final decision. Very long wait considering he has known about the acceptances since last fall!

12 Likes

completely agree, all these late march releases seem antiquated, it isn’t enough time to fairly evaluate a school and its offer

9 Likes