Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

S23 got an acceptance from Richmond (was deferred EA) and Rochester today. out of the two I think Richmond likely stays on the list and we’ll make a trip back down for another visit.

11 Likes

He did not. We’re making him visit other contenders. But we realize it’s probably a waste of time.

3 Likes

That’s wild! Congrats!

Did your student do anything between EA and now with regards to demonstrated interest, winning new awards, etc?

1 Like

lol, after being deferred from CWRU and subsequently expressing ZERO interest, no LOCI, no opening emails, no updating the portal, kid was waitlisted today.
I’m so glad he didn’t exert himself (he was happy with being deferred, all things considered, because no way could we have afforded it).

5 Likes

My D had a similar experience with Santa Clara.

Sounds like Pitt is calling his name! So my son will eventually commit to Pitt for computer science - it’s the best fit for him all around. Just trying to wrap my head around the OOS tuition. For someone like me who’s not used to paying full price for most things, it’s hard lol.

9 Likes

I just paid the deposit for Loyola Maryland and I’m feeling so relieved. It’s my alma mater and they gave us the most amazing FA package. Go Greyhounds!

23 Likes

This was exactly my D’s situation last year - 5 waitlists when all was said & done ! She had to chose between SLO & Davis - she chose Davis and loves it!

7 Likes

@Kombucha22 - He just provided an updated transcript `No LOCI or awards update

1 Like

Tell me about it - I am a hardcore couponer and paying full price for anything is my idea of being a complete failure. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Tops off the weekend with another acceptance from Holy Cross! He left the house in his Richmond sweatshirt and said “I’m happy I can finally wear this again!” :smile:

I have noticed that for the schools that provided a total number of applicants received this year that they were all about 20% higher than last year.

9 Likes

We are heading to Bama to tour on April 18- I am excited to S24 to see it!

6 Likes

Haha, they’ll be there on the 17th -let’s compare notes, OK? I’m not going so I need some outside-the-family perspective!!

1 Like

Yes absolutely. We will be at Auburn on the 17th, Bama the 18th and then Clemson on the 20th. Hoping he likes all three. So far he also loves UofSC, NC State and U Miami. Likely won’t look at any others on his list and only visit if he gets accepted and it is a top contender.

1 Like

My S23 also has Loyola Nola at the top of his list. He’s gotten the Presidents Scholarship, Honors Scholarship and Crescent City Scholarship also equaling $32K total. He didn’t know about ESports there; wish he had looked into that. He’s CompSci/Game Development major with a side interest in music. I’m trying to convince him to reach out to the swim coach as he has good fit times there, but he thinks it might be too late.

6 Likes

Maybe we’ll see each other there! Loyola NOLA is a highly likely choice for my son. He’s been offered similar scholarships, President and Crescent, totalling $25.5. No honors application.

3 Likes

It likely wouldnt result in more money but they are still taking esports players! Lumen Vera is the coach.

3 Likes

We are visiting Loyno again on March 31st … hoping to get a better feel of the CompSci dept. and maybe a peak at dorms. Our visit last year was good but no dorms and not specific to his major.

LoyNo dorms were small but basic. Communal bathrooms that get cleaned daily.

1 Like

Do you think schools that will announce next week have made all the decisions? Are the last few weeks for checking that the portal and tech is all set up correctly?

1 Like