Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

I know of at least one school that has not announced a date, and is apparently now telling people ‘sometime next week’.

If they don’t know at this point when they will be done… yikes.

2 Likes

My niece is still waiting to hear from a few- BU and USC for sure and maybe one other…

My daughter is still waiting on 6 schools. She applied to 8. It’s brutal.

1 Like

Yet, they impose deadlines on 17 year olds. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

My D is still waiting on decisions from 6 schools but we know when 5 of them will be releasing results. The only one that we don’t know is Vassar, but we think it might be on 3/28.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

3 Likes

Interesting. I did not know that.

Ivies don’t announce until next week.

1 Like

Right, but the ivies all announced when decisions would be out, so students know what to expect. I think the uncertainty of when causes some students anxiety for the schools that don’t have a firm date.

5 Likes

My daughter also applied to an ivy which has not technically announced but at least expectations are clear that it’s going to be next Thursday so I don’t have to waste energy thinking about it until then.

Not necessarily. They don’t have to fit any Gen Ed courses in those three years. They start covering the specific major subjects from day one.

Has ASU completely fallen off the radar of OOS students since they cut back on their attractive scholarships last year? S23 enjoyed our visit but there seemed to be very few OOS applicants at the admitted students day, especially compared to the U of AZ and U of Utah. Even the CC threads for ASU seem to have virtually no comments, which is surprising for such a large university.

2 Likes

We took it off the list b/c of the scholarship drop, for sure.

1 Like

Could be many shifted to UofA instead since the merit/discount is much better now. We have a 24 and they will be looking at both. If UofA keeps their current merit structure, it will be a very attractive contender.

Maybe some folks have also been put off by the change/“increase” in COA from a couple years ago even though it is still pretty competitive for OOS tuition with merit. Human nature sometimes to not feel like they are getting as good a deal when you see a ‘price increase.’

1 Like

Unlike U of A, ASU give merit based on SAT not just GPA, so S got more from them (and OOS tuition is lower to start with). Tuition, room and board of $34K isn’t bad, but it’s quite a bit more than Utah’s $29K (with WUE), and off campus costs in Tempe are also higher.

2 Likes

We have all of our answers back but D23 hasn’t committed yet. The last 2 came in 2 weeks ago.l One has been her first choice - she was deferred from EA and then accepted two weeks ago - but now she’s had months to see herself at one of her other EA admits, and I think they bumped this later acceptance from number 1. It’s hard for me, as a mom, to think about switching gears now, even. Heartfelt support to all the kids & parents still waiting for answers…

11 Likes

Just got an acceptance from Hamilton! DD is not home and her text just said “aid is terrible “, so don’t know what that means exactly but probably makes it not an option. Oh well, 4 more.
** cost is a lot more than the NPC indicated.

10 Likes

Great admit nonetheless. Congrats.

3 Likes

Congrats!!! Beautiful campus and super competitive!

2 Likes

S23 got into their aerospace major. It was a serious consideration b/c sister-in-law works in the engineering department and my wife’s family lives in Phoenix… but he got into VT early decision and it’s in-state and cheaper than ASU even with merit aid. Also, a better fit for my son.

But ASU was definitely an option if VT didn’t work out.

6 Likes

S23 was accepted to Denison last week with $25K merit. Denison was an early favorite after we visited last spring, but the balance of $55K/yr. made it his most expensive option by far. We were anticipating less merit there. Fortunately he’s a practical kid and had already moved on well before the acceptance arrived.

10 Likes