Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

If you can afford $15K-$36K per year while making $100K, then that is astounding. Congrats!

3 Likes

I think you and D really need to deep dive the catalog at both schools. My cursory look through both would make me very concerned about the numbers and depth of offering at SLC for Physics. Plus what are the opportunities for research? For Physics grad school you need the base Physics and Math is just as important (so look at those offerings also) and then research with a Senior Thesis or whatever.

7 Likes

thx, that’s a great data point.

thx for this. I truly believe she would excel at SLC, and she is VERY resistant to Iowa.

But the curriculum at Grinnell, and all the resources for physics is SO much more extensive.

The other consideration, and partly how both got on her list to begin with, is that both have a 3/2 program - Grinnell with CalTech, SLC with Columbia. That would “solve” a part of the issue with less physics curriculum at SLC, and also “solve” the remoteness of Grinnell by having it only be for 3 years.

Though it should be recognized that it is ultimately an empirical question, and thus answerable.

Unfortunately, however, nobody is likely to ever be given the data that will allow us the answer.

2 Likes

How competitive is the 3/2 program into Columbia? Regardless I’m not sure this solves the issue, as going into a very rigorous school like SEAS without strong preparation might not end well.

Happiness is very important, and I think we all understand that. I just want to make sure that your D understands the reality of being a Physics major and the outcomes for her are likely to be significantly different between these two schools.

2 Likes

They’re hard to find.

There have been some efforts to pull such information together for some disciplines, but they’re sporadic and generally nonsystematic—so you’re left having to rely on asking individual departments ad hope they respond.:disappointed:

1 Like

For physics, there’s no question she’d be much better off academically picking Grinnell over SLC.

4 Likes

In the absence of data, one is forced to go with anecdata. And the anecdata we have seen so far is supportive enough of my hypothesis to encourage me to make spending choices based on that hypothesis. That is good enough for me. I don’t have a need to convince other people.

The 5 year is an engineering degree - correct.

Does she want to be an engineer? And if so, why not apply to a four year engineering program?

Engineering: BA & BS with Columbia University
This combined plan program allows students to earn two bachelor degrees in five years: a Bachelor of Arts in the liberal arts from Sarah Lawrence and a Bachelor of Science from Columbia University’s Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science.

• Both degrees are awarded after completion of the full five-year program: three years at Sarah Lawrence, two at Columbia.
  • Upon successfully fulfilling prerequisite and graduation requirements at Sarah Lawrence, maintaining the necessary overall and prerequisite GPA, and receiving favorable recommendations from College faculty, students are prepared to apply for admission to one of the nation’s top engineering programs in one of the world’s top universities.
  • Graduates gain a competitive advantage from the rare combination of problem-solving and technical skills gained through the study of engineering, joined with the creative thinking and communications skills developed through liberal arts study.
1 Like

I would suspect (don’t really know) that kids from this program would have a challenging time finding employment in traditional engineering fields (non CS) where pre-req chains are long, and breadth requirements are large. I am curious if people have data on employment prospects for kids graduating from the 3+2 programs in traditional engg majors.

2 Likes

It’d be interesting and I imagine the sample size is small - but don’t know.

Having to leave friends, having to integrate where others are established would be difficult.

And more importantly, why would one go to school for five years to do something they can do in four.

Sorry OP - I know you’ve thought of all this - just thinking out loud - not trying to dissuade you - but that said, there’s still time to get into strong engineering programs if that’s the goal - although not necessarily at LACs although possibly

Also thinking out loud, do these students get financial aid at Columbia? Or do they fall into the students who don’t have full need met? That’s potentially a $150K difference in cost.

2 Likes

Answering part of my own questions: " * Candidates are not guaranteed the same financial aid package they received at their affiliate schools."

And they do not guarantee housing past the first year in the program. Rents there are extremely expensive.

I’m not sure I consider this a plan.

8 Likes

OP will write back but I think he realizes the student won’t end up in a 3/2 but the thought of going to Cal Tech might push them to Iowa
and then it’d fall apart but she’d be there.

I think that’s much of the allure.

But if she followed through, to your point, then how do you pay - either in NYC or Pasadena?

And we have our final decision. A waitlist from Vassar. That one hurts. One of the few we were able to visit and we could both totally see her there. She’s artsy and really was excited about the dance opportunities for non-majors. But moving on.
Here is how it ended:

Bama- full tuition +
Pitt- full tuition
Syracuse- waitlist
St. Lawrence- 50k merit, 35k COA
Vassar- waitlist
Amherst- waitlist
Williams- rejected
Princeton- rejected
Wesleyan- rejected
Hamilton- accepted COA 41k
Colgate- accepted COA 28k

19 Likes

Have you talked to her CC at school? I am curious on their take about her results.

Also, if her top choice is a WL they will probably pick up her phone on her behalf. I know ours will go to bat for a student on the WL as long as that student will commit on the spot.

5 Likes

Understood. It’d be great if D could somehow ‘discover’ their Grinnell in London program, or something like this:

4 Likes

Caltech is need blind and meet full need for all domestic students, including transfer students (3/2 program students are considered transfer students). Financial aid from Caltech is likely to be more generous than Grinnell’s. The problem is to be admitted.

Columbia, on the other hand, isn’t committed to meet full need of its transfer students.

7 Likes

Ooooo that’s a nice price for Colgate. Not free though like others but it sure is a lovely school.

4 Likes