Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Still waiting for a few more decisions, but CS twin is trying to decide between Hamilton and UMD honors. Currently Hamilton would be slightly cheaper due to FA (have to confirm they will continue considering 2 kids in college at same time).

He really likes everything about Hamilton except he is worried about the CS major. He has warmed up a lot to UMD, thinks the major is great and honors housing freshman is very nice but not small classes in beautiful setting. He will do fine at either, just looking for thoughts to help him work through options.

2 Likes

i have heard cs very strong at hamilton but have no personal knowledge. a bunch of current parents on cc you could get more info!

Like most LACs they are more alike than different. But they are different. Colgate is a D1 athletics University, Hamilton is not. While both are tiny by big university standards, Colgate still 75% more students than Hamilton, while the latter is closer to the typical size of many of its LAC peers. While both are rural-ish, Colgate is more rural. Colgate’s campus has a distinct look, with beautiful classic brick buildings, pretty uniformly. And is on a steep hill. Hamilton long ago merged with a nearby women’s college and has a much more varied and eclectic campus. Extending that into the culture, they have a more open curriculum. Both campuses have greek life, but it is a bigger deal at Colgate, with over 1/3 of the stduents participating. Both are excellent academically.

7 Likes

College scorecard (https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/) has median earnings (3 years after graduation) reported by majors.

3 Likes

I didn’t think we were debating and my first post about it was replying to someone else. You chose to interject and I replied.

1 Like

Make sure she knows b4 u visit you are not sending her unless they match.

Otherwise you take a huge risk, by visiting, that she loves it.

And it’s hard to tell the groveling kid no.

If this might happen, you may want to make the match call first even though in theory, in person is better.

Obviously they calculate differently. But nothing would be worse than a kid who falls in love. And can’t get the prize.

1 Like

Hm - when I saw 3+2 I thought Masters.

Does it make sense to plan on spending an extra year in undergraduate school?

1 Like

Economically. I doubt it but that’s up to the kid and typically that 2nd degree is from a higher pedigree school. And I’m sure the mental part seeps in.

In this case OP does have financial constraints but I know he’s thought all this through from earlier comments.

In many ways I think he’s using as a hook to get his daughter to Grinnell. And then we can see about it three years later.

I would definitely get more information about the 3+2 program with Columbia before you commit because of it. I have been researching similar programs for my S24 and several places I have seen the Columbia program described as “competitive entry“ and in one place as “extremely competitive entry.”

5 Likes

Private high school?

2 Likes

Yes - I know that is @AnonMomof2’s case, and a prestigious one with connections.

I am aware that this is not the case for most students.

2 Likes

for sure. She’s adjusting to the reality that Bryn Mawr, Wesleyan, and CWRU aren’t really options; she had kind of assumed after being accepted at Grinnell that at least one of them would come through!

MHC is still in play too, though - they also have the 3/2 with CalTech, AND they are a part of the 5-college consortium; which opens up alot more opportunities. Waiting on final COA from there - the data on the CSS was compromised on their end, so they had to clarify a couple of things.

7 Likes

yeah, for sure. Having to help HER see that!

1 Like

Yeah, the 3/2 programs end up being 5 years, but you get two bachelors.

She applied directly to CalTech - she did a women in stem day there over the summer and loved it. Her thought initially was that it’s a back-door into CalTech or Columbia. She was actually being practical in that she figured IF she wasn’t ready to go straight to grad school, having an engineering degree from a top school (plus access to their network) would be a great asset (she looked at starting salaries for engineers out of CalTech in particular).

It’s 5 years, but she gets the LAC experience, but also the hard-core STEM from a top school. Conceptually I like it, but she’s ended up more focused on the LAC side and being able to also do theater, etc. - even though her end goal is the physics (plus math, engineering, etc.)

Working to help her re-focus on what she WANTS long term, and what is more likely to get her there.

5 Likes

Boston College gives literally like 15 full ride scholarships. That is it for merit. You can either afford to pay or you’re hoping for financial aid. As a middle class household, we would get ZERO financial aid from BC.

1 Like

One issue with 3/2 programs is that a pretty solid number of students enter intending to do them, and vanishingly few actually end up completing the programs (generally just sticking with a single 4-year degree from the first college).

It works out for a few, but for the most part it’s a marketing ploy that the colleges know won’t happen.

6 Likes

as mentioned in another reply, CalTech would actually be better financially than any of the other options. The hard part is getting in - from talking with the people at Grinnell and Wesleyan who coordinate, the sample size is EXTREMELY small; there are years no one applies. There are years 3 apply and no one gets in, and other years 5 or 6 apply and all get in.

But IF she chooses to pursue that route, I have no doubt she would have better odds than most - she is the most driven, determind person I’ve ever met once she decides to do something (sometimes to her own detriment!).

All things being equal, I believe the quality, quantity, and breadth of resources at Grinnell are significantly better. BUT it’s in Iowa :frowning:

Working to convince her we need to do the admitted student days, let them show her some love

4 Likes

Yeah, I am not worried. My kid doesn’t beg, grovel, whine, plead or really even ask for much. She knows she will be happy many places, she went to a boarding school 8 hours away without ever having seen it. (On huge FA). And probably won’t even want to drive by because of the cost. She texted us that she was accepted but the FA was awful.

1 Like

Yes BU gives very few merit scholarships, but if you love the school you may as well apply if you are in the range to get one. It is a lottery, but someone has to win (just like applying to Harvard etc).

I do want to say, though, that BU’s fin aid is better than a lot of school’s. Our FAFSA income was almost 200K for 2021 year (sadly down quite a bit this year!) and my son got 23K in need-based aid. It isn’t enough for us, but it is much better than “nothing.”

ETA: now, I don’t know if I misread it, or if you changed it, but I see you said Boston College not Boston University :crazy_face: Yeah, the NPC said we would get almost nothing from BC

3 Likes

wow. We haven’t got any update - though I am finishing up at the office, haven’t checked the mail at home yet, it might be there. That would put our COA about 29K, ouch.

Did that include the 3K or so for medical insurance? We have a great plan that should cover her anywhere in the US, so we can probably waive that, as long as they wouldn’t reduce the aid if we do so. Have to talk to them.

Then again, having a 6K/year difference in COA between SLC and Grinnell might help nudge D to Grinnell (we have a deal that anything over a certain baseline we’ll be splitting (her share would be ending up with loans), anything UNDER a much lower baseline she’ll get back at the end of college for graduation - so she’s incentivized to make $$ a part of the decision)

3 Likes