Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

last year 38K applied, 10.6K were admitted and 1553 enrolled.

Yet they have 11,620 offered WL.

Absolutely obscene.

The reality is you’re not getting a spot - so maybe bringing it up is showing interest and moves you up (they have admitted a fair amount).

Or it moves you off - but then who cares because at that price point you’re off anyway.

It can’t hurt - but shame on them for this ridiculous amount of WL.

I’m shocked anyone gets rejected… :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know.

Then again, 436 got off the WL last year. A small percentage, but better than the acceptance rate overall at CalTech (that was one of her lottery shots, acceptance rate was under 2% last year). She still tried :slightly_smiling_face:.

Only half the kids offered WL last year opted in, as I understand it - so of those that say ‘yes’ to be on the WL, 1/10 is a long shot but no worse than a lot of overall acceptance rates.

It will just come down to who says yes and what boxes being checked they are looking for….

Barnard admitted 6.5% this year from 11,803 applications. Of those, 60% were ED, leaving only <300 for RD, based on of their typical class size of around 710.

In contrast, the most recent CDS (20/21) showed a waitlist of 2,612, with 1,904 confirming their spot on the waitlist. At the end, 104 had been accepted off that waitlist that year - around 4%.

So here too, the size of the waitlist is more than 3 times the total class size, and almost 10 times the spot remaining for RD in the first place.

2 Likes

I guess though the 4% off the waitlist is not so different from the RD acceptance rate.

Super sad. Schools like this have unique character and it has to be so hard to accept for fit when you are just swamped with applicants.

2 Likes

Possibly true - but some might think that they passed the “first hurdle” and at least made it onto the waitlist; in reality the goal post was moved on them - to twice the distance.

3 Likes

This is correct.

My presumption is WL has an even worse yield - and they likely go out in clumps, give little time to decide, and move to the next.

Obviously CWRU is a fine school and you only hear good things.

Yet I always wonder then - why is the yield so small and the amount let in off WL so large - I’m sure those are correlated.

Odd to me - but no doubt a fine school nonetheless.

I grew up near Cleveland. I’ve never wondered why.

1 Like

Don’t say that - my son’s employer (come late June) is based in Cleveland and while he’ll have four rotations in four cities, at least one will be there.

And I’ll get to visit the Rock Hall :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They both have strong academics (though Hamilton has an open curriculum) and are close geographically, but the social scene and student body vibe are a bit different. My D20 is at Hamilton and loves it, but some students prefer Colgate’s larger student body, the preprofessional feel, and the social scene’s emphasis on athletics and Greek culture. Those last two aspects were a big turnoff for D, and she didn’t even want to apply to Colgate, but that’s exactly what other students love about it. The colleges have distinct cultures, and (as always) it’s about fit.

There are many CC threads that discuss the vibes at both schools, and there are even a few that make direct comparisons. They are worth searching out. If you have any questions about D20’s experience at Hamilton you can PM me. @123France and @HamilyDad have sons graduating from Hamilton this year, so those are other options for direct questions. And as you saw above, @homerdog is a great resource for all things Colgate (and Bowdoin, if any one is considering that college :blush:).

Good luck. They are both fabulous schools. Your D has great acceptances and should be proud of all her wonderful options.

9 Likes

Completely disagree with your misplan. My 4th and final kid is going through the process now, and for all of my kids, we had financial safeties and “let’s see what happens”. With my 2021, the “lets see what happens” was not affordable on paper and they came through and blew everyone away financially. For her major at the school, it has been an absolutely incredible experience for her. She landed where she was supposed to. If you have the means, I don’t see anything wrong with throwing a mix of schools into the process, including academic and financial safeties and reaches. Be honest upfront, my kids knew what their 529s held, and they are managing their own through college. It is funny how when they are in control of the money, they make wise financial decisions.

5 Likes

Ex Case waitlist, mom. At this point in the game, Case is making budget. The #1 advice to get off the waitlist at meet-need schools is to decline FA. Our COA came in at $6000/yr for Case, so we knew we were done. In 21, I swear we heard before May 1, the waitlist was closed. There is nothing to lose in following up if you can’t afford the school where it is.

I didn’t know that summer PhD internship was a possibility, or even existed, in any field when I was working on my PhD in physics. It was obviously a long time ago.

My son is now working on his PhD in AI and summer PhD internships are the norm in his discipline. In some other subfields of CS, in some engineering disciplines, and even in some areas of physics (e.g. quantum computing), summer PhD internships are also common. They aren’t being paid twice (no PhD stipend in the summer from advisor’s research grant), but they can still perform research related and beneficial to their theses, if they choose carefully what they work on in the summer.

1 Like

Appreciate the insight!

My misplan? Well it worked for our family - and as long as each works for their own family, what else matters?

With my 2021, the “lets see what happens” was not affordable on paper and they came through and blew everyone away financially. This is great for you if you either have need or the school gives merit. This was our plan, if they gave merit but for us need wouldn’t work as we don’t have it as the schools define it.

This is my plan: - Have one, without question, you can go there - i.e you’ll 100% get in and be able to afford it. My son had one. My daughter had several.

Example - my son’s favorite was Bama (a late favorite but a favorite). He also applied to home state UTK.

My daughter loved Arizona. Those are slam dunk. She also had financial slam dunks but not admission slam dunks - like FSU, UF, Miami Ohio, etc.

Any other school they applied had to give a chance to meet budget. Didn’t mean it could/would - but had to be possible.

So my son applied to WUSTL, UMD, etc. He got into UMD with enought merit to work. WUSTL he did not get into but say he did - likely with no merit and it would not have worked but it was possible. He also applied to financial safeties but not admission safeties - such as UF and Purude (in at both).

My daughter UMD, American, W&L, etc. She got into all three but with no merit (except AU) and they did not work. This was based on the rule - $50K or less.

So worst case - my son would have been at Alabama or UTK - and as it turns out, he chose Alabama over Purdue, UF and UMD based on what he decided was important to him. We would have sent him to any of those.

For my daughter it was U of Arizona - that was worst case - and it finished in a tied for 3rd (with FSU) behind Charleston (where she attends) and #2 U of South Carolina.

Where I did not let them apply was to school that give no merit - because as a full pay family, what would be the point if I set a $50K limit? So once I learned (on the tour) Gtown gave no merit - it was out. I didn’t know that b4 our tour - so that was an education to me. That night, we went through her crazy long list and eliminated like 20 schools.

Anyway, that was the plan - and they both ended up where they wanted so - for us it worked.

Good luck to you and all.

1 Like

All this talk about Case- my son is considering a school in the same area.

Its really hard to get my son to focus on strength of a program and post grad job potential over geographic area and climate.

5 Likes

We lived in the Cleveland area for 17 years and loved it! It’s a great little city and I would have zero qualms about sending a student there. Airport is easy to get in/out of, and strong food, sports, arts, and music scene. Plus great hiking and beaches nearby. (Feel free to PM me if you want more city specific info!).

8 Likes

I’ve only visited but I also think it’s a great city. The lake effect weather is no joke, though.

2 Likes

I have another child going to college in the area currently, and I have to say, for job prospects, that area has A LOT! Her school/major brings in around 100 employers, and she always ends up with numerous interviews and job offers. Cleveland’s workforce is aging, the population has declined, and Ohio has been very proactive in targeting college students.

2 Likes

I want him to go to Cleveland as its a top notch program of which very few are blessed with free tuition.

But hes on spring break with his dad and i fear sun and sand and a lower ranked program will win out.

2 Likes

I want to push back a little on the preprofessional nature of Colgate. Yes, their career center is terrific and the alums really step up to help kids find internships and jobs but D knows a ton of kids who she wouldn’t deem “preprofessional”. I don’t think it has that vibe. It’s not like any sort of business school. They don’t have a business major. Kids major in all sorts of majors - many go to grad school, law school, med school etc., many work for non-profits or go into teaching, and of course there is the crew who want to go into finance or consulting just like any LAC. D’s classes (mostly poli sci, psych, sociology) have been demanding and Colgate’s CORE classes require kids to read and analyze texts from ancient and modern times.

It is more sporty and social though!

6 Likes