Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

LOL, sounds like a lot of us are headed in to the same area for college tours this summer. Thanks for the heads up on Temple. I was on the fence on whether to hit it before we flew out of Philly. I think we will skip it. My S is fairly sure he will not even apply to BA safeties. If he doesn’t get in to a top choice (ultra competitive program), he will just take a gap year or not go to college.

1 Like

I don’t see my son at a totally urban non defined campus either but time will tell. Temple could be off our list.

I know LoyNO is small but would you say it’s a bit more defined?

Oh, no question, it’s a very definitely “campus” sort of well-defined campus. There are roads coming in for parking lots and such, but nothing that actually cuts through campus, except that their law school and a couple upperclass dorms are a couple blocks down St Charles Ave.

Really appreciate the reviews @dfbdfb. Sounds like an exciting time with your family as well. I really like visiting colleges. Hoping we can get back to visiting later this summer.

Our class of 23 student is enjoying the Army virtual “apprenticeship”. The Psych DE class started and a good friend from MS is also in the class so they’re excited. The SAT prep at the local cc didn’t work out but that’s ok - maybe next year. I wonder if 2023 will remain TO for many colleges. Fingers crossed as that’s one less thing to worry about.

Basically it’s been a good summer so far. Booked a beach vacay and our kid is happy and keeping busy. Still taking PT for the injury they got during Spring training; so hopeful for some part of the Fall season but it’s pretty iffy at this point according to the Orthopedist and Therapists.

3 Likes

ok, thank you

Anyone signing up for the August SAT? I see the CB opened up registration earlier this month?

1 Like

Yes, kid is already registered!

1 Like

Okay - My DS has a very busy fall schedule because of his ECs, so we are thinking August will allow him to get one under his belt before classes and EC suck up all his time.

1 Like

Our school does ACT in March. We will not be taking SAT.

2 Likes

After being surprised that SAT registration wouldn’t be available until “early July” per the College Board web site, I logged on July 1st, and the only available site for the August test was over an hour away! No thanks. Options for the October test were a bit better, but not great.

If my D23 were chomping at the bit to take the SAT, I would support her and try to make it happen, but she’s not, and she has plenty of time. I just can’t get too worked up about it at this point, particularly with the UC and CSU going test blind for the next few years at least, and so many colleges both public and private being test optional. We’ll see.

The test strategy we used for our S20 was to try to be one and done. He would not have been ready to take the exam before junior year, as his junior year math was precalculus. He tried a practice ACT, which is supposedly more prep-able, but he hated the format. He prepped for the SAT in the spring of junior year, sat for the May test, and scored a 1400, which we were thrilled with. Based on his school classes & grades, and scores on SAT practice exams, we decided there was no realistic chance of scoring higher.

My kids’ high school really discourages taking the SAT/ACT “too many” times, or “too early,” though of course every kid is different, so I offer that not as a criticism of anyone else, just as a different perspective. Interestingly, the test prep place we used was also a proponent of the “one and done” approach.

2 Likes

No plans to take the SAT, D23 decided she is going to go test-optional in applications so we didn’t think there was any need to stress out about the test.

3 Likes

Question, do you really only get one psat for national merit? My kid took it in 10th just for fun but that was before the adhd diagnosis. I assumed the 11th grade one was the one that counted but I think I read on here you only get one shot?

Also, I have college visit reports but I need to wait till I am at a real computer.

yes, 11th grade PSAT is the only one that counts for national merit consideration. One and done.
i like college reports - so looking forward to that!

2 Likes

If he took it in 10th is that just a bonus?

I agree! Our kids’ school gives specific recs when to take it, and a lot is based on math level (and scores on 10th pSAT and practice ACT). She was told to take it in August as was our D21. she also has to take ACT, while D21 did not. Some classmates have been told Spring of junior yr. We too are going with what is recommended and it is definitely different for each kid and each school. There is definitely no rush, especially with the new test-optional circumstances!

2 Likes

yes, the 10th PSAT is just practice or is used by the school to determine testing in Junior year.

fouratshore - your route is completely different than ours - but its good to know that there are many ways to get to where you want!

with our S20 (and d16) we had them specifically take the ACT during the dates ACT offered comprehensive score reports; we ordered those reports separately. Our son had said he ran out of time during 3 sections; and sure enough we could see 15 “c’s” bubbled in a row in those sections. We got a tutor who helped him with timing, not content as much.

That made all the difference - ended up with two perfect sections on his next test and a high act score. We read that trick here on CC about ordering score reports and focusing on those issues that need help. This worked for our kids, but there are many different methods.

(disclaimer: merit seeking family here! It will be really interesting to see how important scores are for class of '22. I’ll be watching that!)

1 Like

No August SAT for us, the twins have marching band commitments that Saturday. We’ll wait for Dec SAT. They did sign up this morning for the Sept 11 ACT since that’s the only free Saturday they will have until Marching Season is over. And I have a feeling ACT is going to be the better test for them anyways so we may just be concentrating on that.

In other news, both Thing 1 & Thing 2 passed their drivers road test on Friday!! Now we have to wait until July 21 for the DPS appt to officially get licensed.

31 more days until we move S21 into college!

7 Likes

@bgbg4us, Sounds good!

I forgot to mention that my S20 did take the PSAT in 10th and 11th, as required by his school, and we did have a score report for the 11th grade PSAT, which was very helpful for preparing for the SAT.

A year ago, I never would have imagined even contemplating going test option for D23, in part because based on her math level and her score on the PSAT in 10th I think she’s capable of scoring 1500+. Plus, I’m convinced S20 got into his T40 UC campus in part on the strength of his SAT score. So I am not anti standardized testing by any means. It’s just that given the current testing environment, particularly in California, it’s hard to get motivated at this point. At least for me. Maybe I just have a bad attitude. :laughing:

We’re not looking for merit; I do understand that’s a whole different ballgame.

1 Like

Note that if you get extra time for AP exams as a result of an IEP/504 then you get the same amount (usually 50% extra) for the SAT and PSAT. It take about 6-8 weeks to receive the accommodations from the College Board so you need to apply now to be in time for this fall’s PSAT.