Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

just gonna (agree) & say that here in the midwest SO MANY schools would love to increase their diversity numbers. MW state schools basically have open admissions, and mostly serve the students in their states, they are trying hard. But there’s not a lot of diversity in some of these low populations states. Trust me, they are trying.

that brings me to a question I’m always thinking about.

Whose role is it to encourage diverse applicants, or low SES applicants to go on to college?

1 Like

re: AP credits and dual enrollment and how they fit in with college flowcharts:

researching this all has been one of my favorite parts of of the college process (merit seeking family here!). Figuring out AP scores; if the AP or DE classes fit in to needed core classes for the degrees; or just fill in general credits; and if the DE from local colleges transfers to the colleges of interest. . . . etc. etc.

I have loved loved loved all these puzzles, and will miss that when our youngest graduates. I’ve met with many friends over the years to show them how to look at this all.

5 Likes

You mean PhD or even MS?

1 Like

Not excluding any. But it was a number I wanted to examine. As it turns out, Bama is not as “bad” as I thought it was, compared with Pitt.

2 Likes

I see. And diversity covers many areas. I know people think Bama is conservative (not my view- I think apolitical) and UVM very left - hence I brought that out.

It’d be interesting for many to look at their list. I imagine but don’t know that many Ca, Az, and Fl schools have large Hispanic populations, for example.

Having a different/previous graduate degree (such as a “Masters”) is not needed for a successful application for a PhD program. It won’t hurt, other than your pocketbook.

That’s something you’d have to research for each college.

Generally, public universities will be more generous with accepting AP credits, possibly graduating a semester early, while the more selective colleges might only accept AP credits if the exam scored a 5, or at least a 4 - and sometimes the credits can only be used outside your major (e.g., to satisfy general education / total credits requirements).

In the latter case, one still has to take all the college’s own prescribed courses towards the declared major, but the AP credit can help in freeing up one’s course schedule because one has to juggle less courses overall.

1 Like

Thanks!

Generally PhDs are funded. Rarely are MSs funded.

1 Like

And if you are accepted to a PhD program without funding - don’t accept, you don’t have the full support of the program. Unless you are independently wealthy.

8 Likes

And some master’s programs are funded, particularly in departments that don’t offer doctorates.

But yeah, still relatively rare.

2 Likes

PhD are nearly always funded. Some MS can be funded. My husband’s and other family members have been, but it can be more competitive to get these.

3 Likes

STEM PhDs are nearly always funded. Many other programs…not so much.

4 Likes

My Child 17 is in a funded Masters History and Philosophy of Science, which is an MA not MS.

They do exist; they are just just rare and pay far less than STEM stipends. It’s been a great deal though- OOS tuition paid plus about $10,000 a year to TA a few classes. It’s been enough for an apartment in walking distance without a roommate, food, and utilities, which is good enough for my child. Very low maintenance, that one. Most of her classmates say it isn’t enough- probably because they can actually drive and thus have cars!

8 Likes

Non-STEM PhDs are funded, too. If a PhD program, no matter the discipline, offers admission but no funding, that’s a polite way of saying that they don’t want you there—consider it the equivalent of the undergrad admissions waitlist.

(That’s a PhD specifically. Professional JD and MD and AuD and such programs, of course, are doctorates but aren’t generally funded.)

5 Likes

Agreed, and thank you for adding helpful context!

2 Likes

My husband had a funded masters degree, tuition waiver, and stipend he was a research assistant and TA($12k a year in 1995), in aquatic ecology. He went back for his PHD in 2009, funded, tuition waiver, stipend of around 25k, he also wrote an EPA grant that took over and funded his project after the first two years. In environmental science.

5 Likes

I had a funded MFA at UCLA back in the day. I TA’ed and coordinated a class and got a free ride plus a stipend.

1 Like

Except nursing PhDs.

1 Like

I have a masters degree in history and my husband has an MBA… we paid for every penny of those :joy:

Right, but that’s one of the professions (like law and dentistry and such). They play by their own, very different rules.

1 Like