Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

We visited on President Day Weekend and classes weren’t held so we didn’t see a ton of students out and about either. Not all buildings were open, but the gym was very lively.

I contrast this to Hope College in Michigan which has less than half the student body of UMaine but it seemed like more because all of them were outside socializing, probably due the unseasonably warm weather when we visited.

I wonder if we visited Hope in February and UMaine on a sunny day in April, my impression might be different. Both schools are great, though.

2 Likes

I’d like to add that the reason I followed up and sort of belabored this point:
I noticed over the past year or two, here on CC, it’s cruel to put down a college or area. It’s SO important to remember that someone out there is /will be looking for info about a school and might not have as many options as you do.
Sure, honest reviews are appreciated, but don’t dis a community or a college!

15 Likes

In case anyone is interested, on average, Syracuse (SUNY ESF) is approximately 5 degrees warmer than Orono (UMaine) but approximately $6,000 more expensive. Roughly, $1,200 per each additional degree of warmth.

5 Likes

Ha!! … I went to college about an hour north of Syracuse. My DD’s first winter in Orono was literally NOTHING in comparison to those Central NY winters I remember!

You will be happy to know Orono has fewer rainy days than Syracuse.

My dentist told my D Maine was rainy and she has had that in her head since. And my mom told her that New Orleans was so humid it was like walking in soup. Sometimes these comments stick into kids’ brains and it influences their thinking.

Holland, Michigan compares favorably in terms of temperature and precipitation. And people are super friendly like in Orono. I will provide my feedback on the Syracuse friendly factor at a later date. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Yes - hence why it was hard for me to post here that D23 is going to URI.

6 Likes

URI is wonderful.

5 Likes

EWR to LGA can easily add an hour, depending on the time of day, plus three bridge tolls (incl. the return trip), plus $14 for the Turnpike (incl. the return).
Even during off-hours I would allow for >30 mins (and that assumes you know your roads/lanes).

I’m lucky that both airports are omni-distant to me and I actually like LGA.

1 Like

Agree. Sounds like the other poster has some other circumstances impacting her situation. However, in our district and some surrounding areas I know some teachers and administrators seem to think their opinion matters as much as parents. Some try to have influence about application process or school chosen.

I am married to a wonderful teacher, but in no way should they any influence in family decisions. Many teachers need to stay in their lane.

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about URI and would not have had any reaction, good, bad or otherwise. :slight_smile: except to assume that your child loves it. And that makes me excited for her!

@OceanAir I appreciate your message. A school one kid doesn’t like is someone else’s dream school. Or it is their happiest choice among perhaps-limited options. Or they just love a school, for whatever reason, that happens to not be the highest ranked. There are students who are over the moon about getting into schools that others would not care for. You can see it on any university or college thread here. To scoff at a school can be hurtful.

12 Likes

I wish I could reach right through this laptop screen and give you a big hug :heart:

I wonder how long it will take me to stop feeling the urge to say, “But he also GOT IN to x, y, and z…”

13 Likes

It makes me so sad to read two parents whose children are going to great schools (and the parents know this!!) who are worrying about what other might think of those schools.

Your kids picked the schools they did for fantastic reasons. They were thoughtful and nuanced and full of optimism. Trust your children’s judgement and decisions more than the worry about what some other people might say.

19 Likes

Oh, my. You got me literally tearing up! Thanks for your kind, wise words.

5 Likes

It took me 9 months to break my habit of saying the name of my D21’s college immediately followed by “it’s a small liberal arts college in this midwestern state.” When your child is lucky enough to get to choose a school based on fit, what anyone else thinks about it (or if they’ve heard ever heard of it) just doesn’t matter.

21 Likes

I’ve loved reading your son pick Oregon over all the other schools he was accepted to for all the reasons you’ve shared. I am so excited he is going there, and I don’t know anything about the school except for what you’ve shared!

But it sounds incredible and the opportunities he will have, the inclusiveness of the program as you described it after visiting…if I had a child interested in the same field, I would be saying - Let’s check this school out!

9 Likes

Aw thanks can you tell today has been a rough day haha. I love this community!

6 Likes

Sorry it’s been a rough day!

I just finished a conversation with a relative who was all itchy to know what school S23 picked. Her response: (long silence)… “Well… if he’s okay with the rain, and the small town…”

1 Like

Population 60,000 is a small town? Not that there’s anything wrong with a small town, but :thinking:

6 Likes

Wow, I thought the conversation was over. Now she’s started in on a story (apparently meant to be comforting) about how he can always transfer to another school later. :confounded:

1 Like

Please don’t take that to heart! That just shows your relative’s lack of knowledge about a fabulous school. But I’m sorry and that sucks!

2 Likes