Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

I have a question that maybe should be a new thread, but I trust this thread to lead me in the correct direction. At CSS schools, do you complete a CSS every year? Or it is one and done?

Nevermind. I see that usually the answer is yes. It was just one of our schools that only did it at application.

Nothing to see here!

1 Like

I love that this story turned out so well! Iā€™m sorry she and you had to go through that, though. And congratulations on your other kid at USC, too! We had a tough process that came down to there or Loyola. My kid will be at Loyola New Orleans this fall.

2 Likes

Hey everyone from Cali. Iā€™ve been monitoring this forum for a while regarding my D21. Like her big sibs S17 and D19, D21 decided to forgo her UCs she got into out of HS and take the Honors program at our local community college route, in the hopes of getting into Berkeley, UCLA, or UC Santa Barbara.

She just found out yesterday she was accepted to Berkeley and UC San Diego (she was admitted to UC Riverside two weeks ago, which she got into as a freshman). Next week is Santa Barbara (a guaranteed admit) and the dream - UCLA.

Iā€™ve previously posted in the HS forum for both S17 and D19 for those parents and kids who may be considering the community college route.

11 Likes

Congrats. But let me ask a question.

Assuming you made the decision for prestige chasing and not financial purposes (saving money), did skipping a four year originally have a social impact on your child as they did not experience the exciting first two years of college ? Ie living in a dorm, attending parties, attending events, joining clubs etc.

1 Like

Iā€™ll break your questions down (good questions:

Prestige - Iā€™m of the mind that the primary focus for a kidā€™s decision on where they attend school is matching re potential career path, affordability, and if the kid likes the school. The vast majority of schools will meet the vast majority of the studentā€™s career (or potential career, it can change in college) objectives.

My kids arenā€™t STEM kids (STEM kids have much broader choices re schools). And my kids - for good or ill - are focusing on the very few careers where undergrad prestige can matter (at least initially). S17 is in management consulting and thinking about law or B school. Both D19 and D21 are thinking about law school.

Affordability- My wife and I told our kiddos starting when S17 was in HS that we are paying for their college with no loans. So, that precludes private schools, unless you get a scholarship. Private school costs for 4 kids:
$75k/year x 4 years = $300k. 4 kids = $1.2m. And the Ivies and Ivy+ are more.

So, we told them if they liked the school they got into as a freshman, go. If not, then itā€™s the Honors route with agreement that they do all they can to get admitted to Cal or UCLA (to keep them focused on EVERY class. Transfer admissions to these two schools is brutal).

Social life issues - S17 got to Cal January 2020 (they put some kids in the Spring). Six weeks later Covid lockdowns hit. He stayed up there in his dorm apartment, did school online, and worked his little job with other college kids who became his friends (heā€™s very social). He graduated last May, moved to East coast and clicked in with folks from school. No different than if heā€™d gone as a freshman.

D19 is the polar opposite. Tight circle of friends. She lived in dorms when she first transferred, and is now in an apartment with two other girls. Sheā€™s part of some clubs, made friends. Sheā€™s about where sheā€™d be if sheā€™d gone as a freshman.

D21 is more social like S17 (but a little less).

4 Likes

So they made the choice. Thatā€™s fair.

I donā€™t think prestige matters for law at all. If thatā€™s the case, 174 colleges wouldnā€™t be represented at Harvard Law including Cal State LA, Northridge and more.

Appreciate your perspective and experience. It was right for your kids and you provided a very generous option for them that they didnā€™t accept. And itā€™s great they made the right decision for them. And CA is set up for this moreso than most other states.

But for others chasing prestige- donā€™t assume prestige ensures future success. It may help but it may not matter. For law school it likely doesnā€™t.

Best of luck to your kids as they continue their path.

3 Likes

ā€œBut for others chasing prestige- donā€™t assume prestige ensures future success.ā€

I couldnā€™t agree more and have conveyed the very same to the kiddos. Prestige will get you so far (and not as far as you think). Become very skillful at whatever you do, maintain a good professional reputation, and maintain solid professional contacts (who arenā€™t backstabbers).

BTW, we have a D25 whose watching everything her big sibs are going through. Very focused, wants to do film (directing and screenwriting). It is Cali after all - lol.

5 Likes

As a consideration, it lacks direct utility for people to have heard of colleges at which they or their children could not have gotten in. Therefore, less selective options often will be better recognized by people with such limited bases for their opinions.

4 Likes

though @AnonMomof2 daughterā€™s options could hardly be considered less selective.

I think thatā€™s merc81ā€™s point. The schools AnonMomof2ā€™s daughter got into are highly selective SLAC, making them less known to people who could probably never get into the school.

ETA: Not sure that theory is accurate as I know plenty of people whose kids get into selective colleges who couldnā€™t name NESCAC schools to save their lives. I think we forget how highly obscure college branding is to the average person (remember only 35% of Americanā€™s have college degrees, only 60% or so even start college at all).

7 Likes

I just wanted to come back to this to say thank you.

It is hard to let go of what seems like an amazing option, but I have to remind myself that this is Dā€™s ride and not mine. No matter how great an opportunity it seems, something like this needs to be driven by her. She is interested but doesnā€™t know enough about LSU for it to be her top pick. If it were her top pick, I would make the trip happen.

7 Likes

Yes.

Iā€™ve had a hard time with one school my kid chose not to visit after he was already accepted. Why not?! Itā€™s so cool! :slightly_smiling_face: So, I completely feel this. As a parent, I worked hard to make sure he ended up with options, so closing all the doors is scary!

8 Likes

You are clearly supporting her, and I donā€™t doubt you would make the trip happen, even though you have so many things going on. :heart:

2 Likes

23 is still deciding.

They have not said much positive about UVM. We value interacting with a wide range of people, and Vermont does not have that. The layout of the campus is not as good as UMD, and the dorms are all so far away from each other and the places one would go.

We attended an event at UMD (not related to admissions) and walked past the dorm where 23 would live. The evening vibe was nice. Thereā€™s a convenience store (snacks!!) and a ā€œbeachā€ where kids play volleyball and hang out. Around the corner, a baseball game was happening. Down the hill, a softball game and then also the show we attended.

ALL of this is walkable from the dorm as is the gym, track, concert hall, theater, and pool.

We talked about the benefits and drawbacks of their future dorm.

They keep saying they worry they will regret not taking the free tuition at SLAC 1 along with other opportunities offered.

I casually asked them if they knew UMD is a top 20 public and #55 for national universities. They did not know. Yes, I know this is not what matters but I suspect it does matter to 23.

They mentioned how really smart kids from their school are heading to UMDā€¦

6 Likes

This is the right answer IMO.

ah yes. now upon rereading it I see that.

My daughter is finished.
Applied to EA/rolling to all schools. Accepted at all
Looking for large University in a warmer/sunnier climate
She is excited.

Results:
University of South Carolina - $89,500 scholarship + Capstone Scholar (attending)
West Virginia University - $48,000 scholarship
University of Tennessee - 60k scholarship
JMU - 5,500/yr for 2 years (?) award
Pitt - $8k (2,000/yr) scholarship - in-state
FSU
University of Florida
LSU
Virginia Tech

This is our final time around. She had very realistic expectations and no visions of prestige. She is going to her first choice. It was a smooth process. I did start to panic after her initial list was created that she didnā€™t have a safety she would be happy to attend. She threw in LSU and WVU for me after she did her first round of applications.

8 Likes

Glad it worked out for her!! Itā€™s a great campus and school and I wish her well.

4 Likes

Congrats! I see nothing but great things about USC and Capstone - sheā€™ll have a wonderful time, Iā€™m sure. Ya done good for her!

2 Likes