Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

No, he’s happy with his choice at this point so he will politely decline, but this school was one of his top choices!

6 Likes

Seems sneaky.
Reminds me of a time I received an email from MIT on Thanksgiving morning, asking me to complete a survey/letter of rec for one of my students. Due the next day!!

(ps… I did it, and he did get in, and attended MIT, but I NEVER forgot that sneaky move.)

5 Likes

Phew-we dodged a bullet. My son’s gymnastics banquet was scheduled the same night as a Pops concert at his school. The banquet is a really big deal for seniors who have dedicated years to the sport. He has to prepare a speech and they have a slideshow and wonderful dinner. We planned on grandparents coming, etc. They usually have the banquet in June so we were panicking when we saw it was scheduled May 24th and saw the conflict! Luckily, he spoke to his music teacher and it’s more of an orchestra concert (he does wind ensemble but helps out with orchestra) so he just had to find a replacement drummer (he was able to) and they said it would be fine if he missed it. Thank goodness! This same thing happened with the varsity gymnastics banquet (which is a Fall sport at his school.) The banquet was scheduled the same night as a band concert and he could not get out of the concert because he had a major part. His coach let him give his speech first and do other tasks (he was co-Captain) DURING dinner (so had to eat very quickly) then change into his tux and run off to the school concert! Thank goodness he was able to work this out. It’s so hard when our kids are busy with so many activities and these conflicts come up. Anyone else have to deal with a major conflict or your kid had to miss out on something important as a senior? So tough!

8 Likes

Timely call!

Music kids like ours…lots of times! One of them was a heartbreaking call we had to make, while other times it works out fine like yours is this time. I bet it’s the same for kids in all fields of interest.

1 Like

My family may just have wonlost the major conflict lottery this round.

My C17 graduates from college this May (delayed a couple years by a leave of absence, nearly dying, you know, the normal), and C23 graduates from high school this May. Also, my C25 has their last regional youth orchestra (competitive audition to get in) concert of the year this May, and their first one after moving up to second chair, which is a big deal for a sophomore in a string section.

The problem? Not only are they all in May, they all occur within a three-day period: Friday is C23’s graduation, Saturday is C25’s concert, and Sunday is C17’s graduation.(Also, C25’s last day of school is the Tuesday after their concert. Because throwing high school final exams in the middle of this is extra pleasant.) Further, we’re in Alaska and C17’s graduation is in Pennsylvania, and C25’s concert is in the evening and C17’s graduation is in the morning, which means that it is actually legitimately physically impossible for us to attend both of those events without breaking the laws of physics.

So we’re going to attend C23’s graduation Friday afternoon, then that evening C23, my spouse, and I get on a plane out of Alaska to red-eye to Seattle and from there onward to the east coast, where we’ll arrive Saturday evening after a two-hop flight and a not insignificant drive. Also that Saturday evening, C25 will play at their concert with C19 (who is in Alaska doing an engineering internship, without which this wouldn’t be possible) attending. Sunday, those of us who flew out will attend C17’s graduation, though we’ll still be jetlagged enough that I honestly don’t know if we’ll be forming coherent long-term memories while we’re there.

So the parents get to attend both graduations, and C25 has a family member in attendance at their concert.

Oh, and did I mention that my spouse’s parents have been making noise about coming up here to visit the week of C23’s graduation? Because we didn’t have enough stress surrounding these events, you know.

13 Likes

Oh no! My head is spinning just reading your post!

4 Likes

Love the college combat link.

Syracuse won over all other schools I put into it.

2 Likes

You totally win. That is craaaazy. I’m really proud of you, if I can be so bold, that you’re managing to be there for as many kids as possible :heart_decoration:

4 Likes

As a gymnastics family, I totally understand how important that end of year banquet is - especially for a level 10 senior! We almost missed the banquet one year due to my D having surgery the day before, but she was receiving an award so she rallied and we made it there for a short time. I’m not sure how much she remembers of it since she was on pain meds - but you know how tough and determined gymnasts can be! One of her teammates from a different high school is missing her senior prom since she’ll be competing at Nationals.

@dfbdfb, you need a relaxing family vacation after all of that travel and stress! :heart:

2 Likes

Everything is happening at once here, too. D23’s school offers four overnight orientation sessions over the summer and every single one of them conflicts with school or work in a way that I can’t figure out how we will get there.

My S25 has to miss his last day of final exams to go to his sister’s HS graduation (8 hrs away) and will have to make it up the next week(week of Memorial Day) he also has finals on Tuesday in advanced pre calc and History. So yay, 16 hrs in the car and a weekend of graduation activities (BS has tons planned all weekend), and somehow study for finals at the same time. Also, his birthday is that week, which is probably one of the worst weeks to have a birthday besides Christmas week.

Standard waitlist practice.

Once they are trying to fill from the waitlist, they have to know quickly if that person has since accepted from another waitlist, or has fallen in love with one of the acceptances,…
Because then they have to keep chasing down the next person before THAT person might take an acceptance elsewhere…

Anybody on waitlist better be monitoring emails and voicemails at least daily through mid-May.

3 Likes

Absolutely makes sense!
My comment about it seeming sneaky is based on my thought: why not the call and an email? These days a simple “phone call” to a 17/18 year old is a pretty hard sell. But I do get it!

3 Likes

I bet if they snapped them they would get an instant reply :joy:

7 Likes

How tedious is the Cal State application? S24 has decided to add ONE Cal State school to his list (we are OOS) and I am annoyed that it is a whole separate application process :weary:

The Cal state application is not too bad since they do not require essays and LOR’s. Only hours of EC’s are listed so not a detailed list. Cal states basically admit based on Cal State GPA, # of a-g courses, HS course rigor, local geographic area and first generation status.

4 Likes

Thanks. I am reading the “Apply Calstate” manual online and my eyes are swimming :crazy_face:

1 Like

If your student does not attend a California HS, then the instructions can look ominous since there is no automatic a-g course matching or a list of CSU/UC approved HS courses. If you are a CA HS student, it is pretty straightforward.

4 Likes

Especially prior to the 5/1 enrollment deadline, you need to be able to get an immediate reaction - every day counts.

1 Like