Parents of the HS Class of 2025

Honestly, even an overpriced summer camp can be worthwhile.

Our C23 expressed a desire a while back to go into an arts-adjacent field (audio tech, specifically). We paid for a program this past summer in great part to let her try it out; it cemented her desire to go into that field, but if it had gotten her to realize she didn’t want anything to do with it anymore I figure that would have made it worth it, too.

1 Like

D25 is going to apply to ESSYI at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. She is interested in environmental science and wants to see how much she likes it.

1 Like

S25 is applying to Naval Academy Summer Stem. He did it prior to 9th but it was virtual. They usually don’t take kids twice but said those who did virtual could apply again, but since it is highly selective, they may not want repeats. His dream is to go to the Naval Academy and become a Navy pilot. He’ll also try to go to their tennis camp.

I actually came on here today to look for summer programs for S25. He went to Italy last year and loved it. I was looking at some of the Oxford summer programs but they are pricey. Thinking about maybe a Johns Hopkins CTY AP course. No fun at all but maybe useful and they seem flexible. Anyone heard anything about them?

The John’s Hopkins program had a tough year last summer. Might have been media coverage. I think they pulled the plug last minute or something.

Yes, that was the onsite program I believe. S23 did an online class last year and enjoyed it but they were definitely having issues with other programs. I think they have a new president now so hopefully, things will be smoother.

Where are you looking for camps/summer programs? Googling? First kid here; I’m totally at a loss and got overwhelmed when I started looking through threads in the past. Realistically, my daughter is going to do ballet summer intensives and is unlikely to have time to do an academic camp, although if I could find a way for her to learn peer counseling or look into something more psych/neuroscience/counseling based I might be able to convince her to carve out some time. If anyone can steer me in any direction, I’m happy to take it!

Re: CTY, just be aware that some of their programs require you to show test scores to be able to attend. Back in the dark ages I was an RA for kids at Caltech/working at JPL and it was an awesome experience for them. I have no recent experience with JHU/CTY, though.

D25 did an online geometry class with UC Scout over the summer before 9th grade. They had a number of AP course that you could choose from. Just one more option if you’re looking for online APs.

It worked well for her because things were still basically shut down in CA and there weren’t a lot of fun options. The class and teachers were good, but you’re right, it wasn’t nearly as much fun as an in-person experience with other kids.

1 Like

Googling is a good way. I generally look for activities my kids are interested in and Google high school summer or precollege and then follow links.

2 Likes

My D loved her local college camp experience. It was for music and a great experience for her to play with exceptional students and instructors. At the time she was in a school with a very small music program and could only do very basic pieces. It was before hs and we signed her up to do it again last summer but got invited to the outer banks by a friend for the same week and had to cancel. She was just today asking about those dorms and reminiscing about the friends she made. She still sees some of the kids through various ensembles she’s auditioned for. One girl was a senior last year and helped her out since it was her first time auditioning. She’s too busy in the summer to try for some of the bigger named programs. They’re much more expensive and last longer so it’s not on our radar.

Googling, this site, I have a book that lists programs for certain majors… DS22 was a math kid, so Art of Problem Solving boards had info.

1 Like

Can you share the title of the book?

What High Schools Don’t Tell You (And Other Parents Don’t Want You toKnow): Create a Long-Term Plan for Your 7th to 10th Grader for Getting into the Top Colleges

1 Like

@groundhog74 , thanks!

HI everyone. I’m new here. My D25 is starting to look at colleges now. We visited one last month. Sophomore year has been blah for her so far. I hear that’s normal for sophomores. She’s in mostly honors classes and taking the 1 Ap her school offers for sophomores (AP Gov) She is planning on taking AP Calc, AP Lang, APUSH, and either honors physics or AP chem next year along with some other gen ed stuff she still has to fit in as a grad requirement (gym, a Bible class and Spanish).

She took the PSAT last month but we had no idea her school let 10th graders take it until about 3 days before the test so she wasn’t prepared at all. We’re treating it as a nice practice for next year.

4 Likes

The PSAT 10 IS a practice. I don’t see any point in prepping for it. I like for my kids to use the “Pre” tests as an un-prepped baseline. Mine also took the PSAT and Pre-Act last month. He took the PSAT 8/9 in 8th grade, was going to take it last year but was sick. It will be interesting to see how he does compared to 8th grade.

3 Likes

D25 is on her first official college tour with her big bro23 (and her dad, my ex). Its a small LAC about 6 hrs from home. I can’t wait to hear what she thinks about it. She is much more vocal and focused than my S23. She will be my easy college kid. S23, not so much.

5 Likes

Does anyone’s kid’s school limit the number of AP classes a student can take in a year? If so, how many can they take?

My kid’s school had limits -
0 Freshman year
1 Sophomore year
3 Junior year
3 Senior Year

It’s different for every school. AP classes are not available at my daughter’s large public high school until junior year.