Parents of the HS Class of 2025

n=1, but the SD mines grad I know is making serious bank.

3 Likes

I’m toying with the idea of suggesting she just lets the high school language go and takes a few semesters at the college. This is my one kid who actually wants to be fluent in Spanish. I don’t think she’s going to learn it in her high school.

1 Like

Is that of any concern regarding college requirements?

This is both my S23 and D25’s thoughts as well. I let them drop it. People will assume my daughter speaks Spanish and she really wants to learn.

1 Like

They have been putting some nice money into updates my kids said. They went to a welcome with a football game.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the wonderful review of SDSMT! It’s great to hear about schools that don’t get 100k mentions on CC.

It would be great if you would share your review on this page, as otherwise it might get lost on this current thread: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

3 Likes

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

austennut

Nice!
(I take it you don’t own a brewery. :wink: )

1 Like

I honestly don’t know. Logically it shouldn’t but it could get her knocked out of a quick screen if no one noticed the college classes more than compensated for the deficiency.

If I do that I will run it by a private counselor I know first.

1 Like

Update: no college tours on the family trip. D25 got sick. I think it was the let down after the stress leading up to her last ballet show and then the early (up at 3:30am) flight to DC. She was better by the time we were supposed to go to VA, but she had seen almost nothing of DC, so we canceled the tours and went to the National Zoo and the Natural History museum with her. Would it have been a good choice to visit? Yes. Will we make a point of visiting various sized schools in CA later this summer? Yes. The best laid plans of mice and men…

8 Likes

I feel like my life is mostly a cobbling together of plan B’s, mixed in with a lot of C’s and D’s, with only an occasional A…

It all still works out. My D21 set foot in the state of MA for the first time in her life when we moved her into Amherst. Obviously Covid was the culprit there. But it’s always something!

4 Likes

Ah well. At least you have plenty of options in CA for her to get a feel for what kind of campus she’d like. I’m glad she got better in time to enjoy some of the trip.

1 Like

Curious, how is your D21 liking Amherst? Likes/dislikes? My niece who likely will be pre-med is looking at Amherst as a potential ED school.

1 Like

Well it’s nearly the end of the first week of summer break and my D had a mini meltdown over the assigned summer work. LA has her doing 2 assignments based off a book I’m sure she’s totally going to read cover to cover and not use the internet at all for the answers. I was poking around on her school’s website and saw a link for summer work. Math listed an assignment due first day of school but she wasn’t notified about it. She was told in May about LA work. She’s furious that summer break isn’t an actual break and there was that one time in 6th grade I made her actually read a book and write an essay just because it was listed on the school website but that was apparently old information. Sigh, I think it’s going to be a lot of strong wills. On a positive note she really likes her volunteer job at a hospital checking in visitors.

1 Like

Dunno if it would help, but you could let D know that my kid had 2 finals today, 2 finals tomorrow, and a stupid 1/2 day of school on Monday of next week before summer break even starts, and there’s 2 chapters of chemistry homework to do over summer break! (Since, y’know, we have a whole month of school after AP tests, you gotta do a month worth of school over summer to have it done by AP test time.)

Yup!

AP Bio is the most brutal I have seen in that sense. At our school the kids get tested on those summer chapters during the first week. You need to score a B or above to stay in the class.

S has 9 units of “review” problems for Physics C.

Wow your poor kids! That’s really not fair for them to have so much work like that. I took plenty science courses in college and didn’t have coursework due on the first day let alone a test on the first day. My kid asked earlier if she could drop precalculus and take life skills math instead so I don’t think telling her about the unreasonable amount of work assigned would sway her. I hope your kids find time to just have some fun!

By policy, no summer work (aside, of course, for summer school type things, but that’s different) for any of the kids here.

Which is good!! Do the schools where they require summer work both (a) never have anyone move in at the beginning of a new school year and (b) somehow not realize how astonishingly classist it is to assume that none of their students have to work for pay serious hours during the summer for their families’ survival?

4 Likes

My kids attend BS so it’s unusual anyone joins end over summer, but teachers are not unreasonable nor mean and I know they would work something out with the student. Like @nothappyabout said, it is not possible to cover all the material during the school year. Is lack of summer work why so many say “they didn’t even cover all the material” in most AP discussions?

Despite the “complaint,” it’s not that much work if you don’t leave it all for mid-august. If S works on 1 unit each week (only about 30-60 minutes of his time) he will be done by the end of school.

Likewise with Chem. Two chapters is very little if you manage the time. S also had to read one of three non-academic books, bc the teacher is a book lover. He really enjoyed the one he chose and would have never read it otherwise.

The point of the test is not to punish students, but to make sure that students don’t end up stuck in a class they are not prepared for. At out school these classes are very challenging. It is better to move out early, than drop into another class six weeks into the term.

Regardless, is it such an unusual thing? My kids have had summer work since middle school. Most often revolving around math review and reading for English. Isn’t there data that shows that it helps counter summer slump?

FWIW, my kids work. One full time, one part time but in addition to a very high-level sport commitment.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess when I was talking about working, I was thinking of the (not as uncommon as one would expect) phenomenon we have up here, where summer work can be kids living on their family’s commercial fishing boat over the summer, or helping the family bring in the summer-gathered crops and animals they have under Native subsistence rights, or the like, where these are pretty intense experiences.

And then, of course, there’s the simple fact that a whole lot of people up here go just completely off-grid over the summer, which is fine for readings (depending on how heavy you can pack) but not so much for anything involving distance delivery of content.