Parents of the HS Class of 2025

We are planning to do a trip up there in March during D25’s spring break to check out UW, OSU, and UO. I thought Gonzaga might be worth seeing also, but D25 “noped” it completely.

1 Like

My son (23) is a current freshman at OSU, we’re from California. He is really enjoying it so far. We’ve been very impressed with the campus and resources. It’s well worth a visit.

2 Likes

D25 has her college list down to 5 for now. 2 that she can’t decide between for her number 1 and 3 others that she still wants to apply to but can’t really see herself there. Depending on NMSF/F she may add a couple that provide full tuition/full ride. She really does NOT want to go to Alabama as she hates the idea of sororities, and it is so much bigger than what she is looking for but the money is a huge draw. She may add Harding to her list. I might do some research into Oklahoma schools as several of them give full tuition/ride. Anyone know anything about Oklahoma schools? lol

This is just freshman at one of S24’s high reach schools (UGA). I find it so interesting that the number of enrolled has risen while the % has decreased. I agree it would be really nice to this all in one place instead of slogging through school by school.

1 Like

The jump over the last 4 years is not insignificant. Have you looked into the housing situation there?

Ha no because there is literally NO way he is getting in :joy:

1 Like

Housing isn’t worse than any other flagship (they all have problems). Some new dorms have gone up in this time period.

2 Likes

So C25 woke up at midnight to register for spring classes. (There was one in particular the kid really wanted to get into, and it was getting close to the enrollment cap in a department that simply does not allow capacity overrides.) Every class is dual enrollment, 1 high school credit and 3 college credits each, except calculus which is 4. So it’s a heavy schedule, but a doable one I think.

• Calculus II
  • Introduction to American Government
  • Introduction to Philosophy
  • Principles of Microeconomics
  • Writing and the Humanities (the 2nd course in the 1st-year writing sequence)

The program the kid is in prioritizes taking courses that fulfill high school graduation requirements wherever possible, and so all of these do that with the exception of calculus, and they don’t stand in the way of kids taking extra math classes if they want. This means that the only remaining high school requirement is another semester of science, and the plan is to knock that one out by taking physics in the fall. (No plan to graduate a semester early, though—the plan for senior year is to take more courses that are interesting rather than just because it’s required.)

5 Likes

RE: Oklahoma schools, Univ of Tulsa has a very generous NMSF program and the school president is active here on CC; he would probably respond to your questions personally. OU is not unlike Alabama in many ways - large flagship with heavy sports interest and strong Greek life, but also an honors program where your student would find peers. Used to have the best NMF merit program, but they’ve cut back on that in the last several years, not really on par with the Alabamas and UCFs anymore. Oklahoma State offers a suite of NMF scholarships that amount to more-or-less full tuition, but it’s another big football school with a slightly more regional student body than OU.

1 Like

Have you glanced at this thread?

Big merit NMF/NMSF schools and their specialties.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you!

I have not. Thank you.

Just got the ACT score…30. He didn’t feel good about it at all as he ran out of time. Still not bad for not prepping, but he’s hoping for a stronger score on the SAT when it comes back on Friday.

5 Likes

ACT composite 34, with all the subscores starting with a 3. So if the kid gets NMSF, that should be a suitable confirming score, I believe.

I mean, i knew that this child does well on standardized tests, but getting that score going in cold? I’m surprised, but happily so.

4 Likes

Jon Boeckenstedt has an interesting blog on higher ed data; this post may have what you’re looking for—he’s got loads of data visualization resources and I’ve found several of his posts fascinating to comb through.

5 Likes

This is amazing! And yes, it is precisely what I’m after (and more)!

Breaking News: We now have the results from all of the 1,490,000 juniors who took the October 2023 PSAT. There were 50,000 students in the 1400-1520 score band, so that means a likely Commended Student cutoff of 209. The Semifinalist estimates will be updated with the latest information before November 16th. The tables and charts below reflect preliminary estimates based on November 6th score recipients.

(Compass Prep)

2 Likes

Wait. Why do they have results before the actual students? I thought the second batch wasn’t out until tomorrow? My D’s account shows nothing.

1 Like

Yep, they gonna make me wait until 11/16 now :sob:

1 Like