Parents Orientation

<p>Has anyone attended parents orientation? Is it useful? This is my 3rd one in college (and final, yay!) so Im not a complete newbie. But, the other two attended in Texas and I can already tell there are some differences.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Are you talking about the parent orientation at Bama Bound? I attended most of those sessions. I got some useful information, but I wouldn’t say it’s essential. I already knew most of what I heard there from here or from reading the website. I also think they may have posted some/all of the parent sessions on the website afterwards.</p>

<p>Yes, at Bama Bound. My husband is actually taking our son, I just wasn’t sure if I needed to sign him up for it.</p>

<p>I would sign him up, but tell him to feel free to skip any sessions that don’t interest him or that will include info that he already knows.</p>

<p>We don’t head to BB till June but… went ro Preview weekend with DD back in January/February.
If by chance there is a session on Housing, GO! A lot of parents skipped that at Preview and that was the best information I heard and eased a lot of questions we had about move-in. That and the whole Dining/Bama Cash, whatever it is all called, best info!!!</p>

<p>Well, just started reading Bama Bound info since we are going this week, and, as I am sure is true of everyone, have been extremely busy and only just noticed the immunization form thing, just sunk in, and we have not had it completed. The only thing we are missing is the tb shot, which I don’t think we can get done before Wednesday. Are these required for registration, or just recommended? Thank you for your reply.</p>

<p>Also, does anyone know if sheets we bring should be XL?</p>

<p>all dorm beds in Ridgecrest have twin XL mattresses. I know this sounds odd, but my son brought a sleeping bag instead of sheets - this was because we have a very compact-able bag and we had heard that the sheet/blanket combo they give you is very thin. I was freezing all night. He was warm. Plus, saved the $15 or whatever it was to ‘rent’ the sheets.</p>

<p>here’s a link re immunizations: [Student</a> Health Center » Immunizations](<a href=“http://shc.ua.edu/immunizations/]Student”>http://shc.ua.edu/immunizations/)
The Health Center is open during the summer months. You can get some immunizations there. You must have proof of having the immunizations by the time you move in (not nec register). I highly recommend taking your student by the Health Center during BB so they know what to expect when they are sick and the forms you fill out when you first walk in the door. You can also drop off copies of their health care card information and Rx information…my son did not have Rx card with him when he was sick (despite telling him to bring it with), and we got a <em>rude</em> shock when the bill turned up on our student account. Once I called, UA of course re-billed insurance and bob’s-your-uncle, but if you have your info on file ahead of time, it is better, I think.</p>

<p>I am making a list of things for my husband to find out while he is there. I had not thought about sending them to the Health center…great idea.</p>

<p>Although I knew most of the information at BB, I found it interesting to find out differences between new York and Alabama and different rights of the students. It was definitely worth sitting through.</p>

<p>I agree with aeromom on going over to student health. We did this last year with our son. Didn’t take more than 10 min. We turned the health forms in at BB (there is a table set up to give out and receive forms), but at student health we had them copy his insurance card and just generally introduced him to the facility and the set-up inside. When he had to go for a visit in Feb., it was so much easier than not knowing what to expect! One other very important tip: we had our son fill out the authorization to disclose health records so that we could have access to his health info in an emergency. Such a release is required by law in order for them to give you any info. Here is the link:
[Student</a> Health Center » Blog Archive » Authorization to Disclose Health Records](<a href=“http://shc.ua.edu/authorization-to-disclose-health-records/]Student”>http://shc.ua.edu/authorization-to-disclose-health-records/)</p>

<p>You can also go to the above link, click on “immunizations” (located at the top) and download the form to have filled out by the physician giving their shots and verify any that have already been administered.</p>

<p>His BB session is near the end of June, so I have already taken care of the shots, authorizations and such. I ordered him an extra copy of his insurance card, so when they get there they can take care of that at the student center. This is my 3rd to go to school, but the first to go oos. I am trying to think as far ahead as possible. I really appreciate the advice.</p>

<p>Remember to send any needed OTC meds with your student when they move in. Kids in Alabama who are not yet 19 cannot purchase many common items.</p>

<p>Good point…he is not taking a car, so won’t have convenient transportation to go to a store anyway. I had put basic meds on a list to make sure he was stocked up when we drop him off. Probably should add mucinex to that list, just in case. We did see that the crimsonride goes to the mall/target on Sunday, so if he runs out of something it would only be a few days.</p>