Parents visiting

<p>So my parents are visiting in a week or so and since I'm new around the area, wondering if anyone can recommend me any places to go. Shops, restaurants, a must in madison or anything up till a 30 - 60 min drive which can be worth it. </p>

<p>thanks in advance</p>

<p>I'm also going to be in Madison with my parents this weekend and was wondering if anyone had been to the restaurant Sardine? Opinions? I kind of wanted to go somewhere nicer to escape dorm food.</p>

<p>Depends on the price range. I love Jonny Delmonico's on the square. If you/your parents like sushi, you MUST go Restaurant Muramoto.</p>

<p>Check out this list for the list of "Madison Originals" or the restaurants you can only find here. They're all pretty much excellent, but very different options.</p>

<p>Lombardino's out on the west side is always regarded as one of the best restaurants in the city (but pricey).</p>

<p>A great mid-range restaurant but still delicious food is Samba Brazilian Steakhouse on Gilman right off State. Great feel of being downtown, too. Which is nice for your parents.</p>

<p>Here's the website for Madison Originals: The</a> Madison Originals.</p>

<p>Alright thanks for the advice for the site MN. Me and my parents are visiting for admitted students weekend next week so this ought to help for some choices.</p>

<p>Thanks MNbadger. what about shopping? Or is hilldale and east town the known ones around here?</p>

<p>I wouldn't recommend going to Sardine unless it is in the late spring, summer, or early fall, when they open up the wall to Lake Monona.</p>

<p>We were in town last September and had a blast at The Old Fashioned. It's on the Capital Square, busy and loud. Great "regional" food. Wife is from the West Coast so this was a great experience for her. Also the Great Dane brewery on E. Wilson had some of the best fries ever (that aren't cooked in duck fat that is...).</p>

<p>Dress warm!</p>

<p>Thanks Lombardinos looks perfect!</p>

<p>Be sure to get a reservation at any of the Originals, as they're quite popular!</p>

<p>We've been to Sardine twice with our son and I highly recommend it, in all seasons. It's great if you want French bistro style food. Our son really likes it (of course, he likes any nice meal we pay for). I don't agree that it's only good when they open the wall up. It's a very pleasant restaurant that serves excellent French style food in a relaxed atmosphere. We were first taken there by friends who live near Madison.</p>

<p>There is so much to do in and around campus you can fill the weekend just by showing them around there. Even though it's winter the lakeshore path, Picnic Point and the Arboratum plus a stop on the top of Observatory Hill are good for outdoors scenery. State St has many good places to wander in and out of, even for parents, as well as many different eateries. The Capitol Building, State Historical Society and Campus museums offer indoors places. Of course you need to see the Memorial Union. Look at sites on the Madison website or locate a Madison guide- I'm sure you can find one in many hotel lobbies or possibly via the chamber of commerce or public library. Check the UW visitor's info site and physical location, too.</p>