Parents Weekend 2013 dates announced

<p>Just saw this on UA Parents site. Parents Weekend Sept 20-22, 2013
[Parent</a> Programs](<a href=“http://parents.ua.edu%5DParent”>http://parents.ua.edu)</p>

<p>Just looked for rooms. Many hotels in the Tuscaloosa area are already sold out, and the Super 8 is $240/night!!! Booked the Greystone Inn in Vance for $68/night (it is across from the Mercedes Plant). I know the drive will be a pain, but it is better than $240/night for the Super 8!</p>

<p>Thanks to those who correctly predicted parents weekend. Is anyone else staying at Hotel Capstone?</p>

<p>We have stayed at the Greystone Inn before…it is a little drive but really not bad and they have Bloody Mary’s and Mimosa’s on game day morning :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I just called and they told me $189/night so I booked a room over on Expedia for $68/$88 (single/double) which allows me to cancel upto 2 weeks in advance…not sure if we are going or not but went ahead and got the room!</p>

<p>We are staying at Hotel Capstone. I loved it when we came for Honors visit. The closeness to campus was great. While we were leaving for dinner one night the whole Bama football team was walking in. DS got a picture with AJ McCarron in the lobby . That in it self was a huge benefit. Rooms were nice but we were never in them except to sleep.</p>

<p>I booked the Greystone back when a wonderful CC poster predicted that weekend. YEA! I looked just to see when I saw this post pop up earlier, yes rooms already limited and pricey. </p>

<p>Last year we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Hoover and it really was not that bad of a drive, 45 minutes. The Greystone is less than 1/2 the distance. We drive longer than that to go to hockey games in Dallas with all of the traffic. It was also a lot less pricey to stay at a nice place in Hoover than somewhere like the Super 8 in T-Town.</p>

<p>Just grabbed Baymont Inn and Suites for $70 ($86 after all taxes and fees). I used hotwire. I’m not endorsing hotwire or Baymont. Just giving new friends a heads-up on options.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Bill…did you read the reviews for that motel? I wouldn’t recommend it. there’s a reason that it’s that price for a home game weekend in Ttown.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Grrr. Hotwire doesn’t really let me do that. I’m reading them now, and I’ll get there early enough to change rooms if I have to. Worst case, I’ll make round trips from Huntsville, and get my money back through the complaint system. </p>

<p>For others who may use sites that don’t reveal names without a commitment, the Baymont received several severely negative reviews, mostly related to cleanliness and odors.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Mom, thanks for posting the warning. Hotwire works 3 times out of 4 for me. I’m really not that picky, within reason. I just need a safe and reasonably comfortable place to be unconscious.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I understand that, but Ttown has a small number of places that I wouldn’t stay at because they just haven’t been well cared floor (stains, smells, etc). You can usually tell by the lower prices during game weekends. If it’s a deal, then it’s probably sketchy.</p>

<p>Out of curiousity…those who booked at Hotel Capstone, what rate did you get?</p>

<p>TripAdvisor is a great source of reviews. Of course there are some you have to read between the lines and the person knocking a great hotel is clueless. Other times it has been spot on. When we travel I constantly look at Tripadvisor and have been known to check out places I passed over due to reviews, they have not steered me wrong yet. </p>

<p>On Expedia they did not show Hotel Capstone being available that weekend.</p>

<p>I believe my rate at Hotel Capstone is $149 but I don’t recall exactly.</p>

<p>At Hotel Capstone we booked Thurs Sept 19 at $115, Fri and Sat at $135 and Sun at $125. I booked with Hotel.com. The very next day rooms were listed at $1000 a night. Don’t know why the big jump overnight. We booked early January when it appeared like it was going to be the most logical date for Parents weekend after the Football schedule first came out.</p>

<p>what goes on during Parents weekend?</p>

<p>Slim pickings now, who is familiar with the Masters? Got a room for $85 night on Expedia, one star, but honestly I don’t think we care all that much about the room. I am still not 100% sure if we will be able to go, I will feel badly if we can’t and S is disappointed, are there alot of freshmen whose parents aren’t able to come?</p>

<p>Don’t sweat it if you aren’t able to go. We ended up missing most of the scheduled activities just to hang out with our daughter and decided that we’d come on a different weekend next year. It is an experience to go to the game but even then, it was (isn’t) an SEC game. Other than the tailgate/game experience, I’d suggest visiting on a non-game weekend. Maybe that just because I don’t like paying the jacked up prices on game weekends. It’s hard to beat the atmosphere though of lots of excited people. </p>

<p>I’m typing this from a hotel in Tuscaloosa where I’ve spent the last 4 nights. For whatever reason, this weekend seemed to bring out lots of parents. A couple of D’s friends also had parents in town and we saw lots of students with parents at restaurants around town. We will probably visit again in the fall, but not on Parent Weekend. </p>

<p>On another note, last year we were booked for Parent Weekend at a Springhill Suites in Birmingham. I think it was over the summer that I noticed a room pop up in the Yellow Hammer Inn so we changed over. Point being that it pays to keep an eye on the rooms even when they have been booked up.</p>

<p>lattelady, tomorrow is a holiday and some parents may be off work so they had a 3 day weekend. Probably why so many more parents there this weekend.</p>

<p>Masters Inn is probably the worst!</p>

<p>FYI, just because you get a low rate online doesn’t mean it will hold for a game weekend. Double check before you go.</p>