Parents Weekend in Sororities

<p>My daughter will be attending Bama this fall. We live out of state. I see that the university has a parent’s weekend the third week of September.</p>

<p>Do the sororities have a parent’s weekend in the fall or does everyone go to this one? It is expensive to get there and stay during a football weekend and we most likely will only be able to come to one game in the fall. Just want to make sure we aren’t the only parents not at the parent’s weekend.</p>

<p>She is rushing, not saying she’ll have a bid but would hold off buying plane tickets if the girls have a special weekend planned in the fall.</p>

<p>Posted the link in your other thread, glad you found us.</p>

<p>Welcome and Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>It all depends on the sorority as to when they have their Parents Weekend. My DD’s sorority had theirs during A Day Weekend. Most of them keep the same schedule year after year but it can change. I seem to remember seeing banners at some of the houses saying “Welcome Parents” so most likely some do hold it during that weekend…killing 2 birds with one stone. I know that a particular sorority is having their Mom’s Weekend this coming Weekend.
I will warn you that if your DD pledges a sorority and you come for UA Parents Weekend there’s a chance she will be a little busy. I know in the past some parents have expressed disappointment that they didn’t get a lot of one on one time with their DD or DS. Your DD will have a game day meal at her sorority. If she has a date then there will be a game day meal at his fraternity as well. In addition if her date is a pledge they will need to be at the stadium when the gates open (several hours before game time) to save places for the actives. You can always walk the Quad and visit the various vendors as well as go to the Elephant Stomp and the Walk of Champions. Campus will be busy and crowded.
If you haven’t already booked a hotel room chances are one might be hard to come by :confused: and the prices go up drastically for game days (some of us book a year in advance or more!).
You should also know that your DD may not choose the ticket package that has a ticket to Parents Weekend. If she does have a tix it won’t be in the same area where your ticket are. We actually bought an extra parents package so our DD could sit with us. She had a date and so she wasn’t able to the whole time but did come for a bit.
Lots to think about…</p>

<p>It seems like most sororities have their official parents weekend in the spring. Our D’s parents weekend was in early March this year. Several other sororities also had parents weekend at that same time. The weekend has varied from year to year, but always in March or early April.</p>

<p>My D’s sorority Parents Weekend is actually this weekend 4/12 - 4/14. They have lots of activities planned from drinks at a local watering hole on Friday to pottery painting and even brunch on Sunday at the house. I do know of one other house that has their Parents Weekend this weekend too. I am really looking forward to meeting the girls that my D has gotten so close to and to meeting some of the parents. I do wish that is was not so close to move out…</p>

<p>The big official campus wide Parents Weekend is in the Fall. My D actually suggested that we not come that weekend because she was really busy with her house. I was not really aware of any special activites that her house had during that time. I do know that all of the houses have lunch available during home games and that is a huge event…very social and fun. She is a freshman this year and had lost to do getting ready for Homecoming a few weeks later. We did go down for the Ole Miss home game and had a blast with her when she had time and just hanging out.</p>

<p>Next year we are definately planning on going down for Homecoming weekend. We figure that she won’t be quite so busy and even if she is there is so much going on during a home game that we can keep ourselves entertained! lol</p>

<p>Hope this helps momofonly1…I cannot believe that one year ago I am where you are now. Being at UA has been so much more for my D than I ever hoped for! Enjoy the ride.</p>

<p>I was in your same position last year… We went to the official University parents’ weekend in the fall (missed her soooo much!) and it seemed that most sorority houses welcomed the parents even though it was not “official”… enjoy’</p>

<p>We came for the fall family weekend last year. Our daughters sorority had a lunch. It was no big deal. There were not a lot of parents there. We too live very far away and it is 2 flights to get to Bana. Next year we are planning on coming a different football weekend. You will have better luck then getting a room especially with a less populat football game. Last weekend was their official parent weekends we did not go as she had just been home. Our daughter did not seem to mind as some of her other friends parents did not come as well. In addition, when we do come down we always spend time with our daughters friends too taking them out especially if their parents are not there. Her friendsvparents have done the same for her. Bottom line is don’t fret if you can’t get down there.</p>