Parking Permit Registration is open...

If you are an incoming Freshman and will be bringing a car to College Station you can now register for a parking permit for the 2017-2018 school year.

@TxSker Thank you for the heads up!!! How long does it stay open?

Is this something that needs to be done right away? Will we not be able to get one later if we don’t do it now?

It is open until July 5. Here is the link. http://transport.tamu.edu/parking/FAQpermit.aspx

Yes, you should do it quickly. If you/your student first choice is an LLC, you will likely get your first choice dorm.
We purchased our son’s in April of last year.Received the conformation email that he got his first choice garage space July 7. Son’s first choice dorm was Mosher LLC. The South Side Garage is the garage for all of the Commons.Second choice space was lot 40. I think third was West Side Garage but I am not sure. It was somewhere on the list.

There is not “priority date” for buying a pass (like there is for housing) but But current permit holders have priority. A lot of spaces will be given up because freshmen move off campus and will take the bus to campus and perhaps have night or weekend pass. Some off campus kids still do like to drive in daily.

Look at a campus map and see which lots/garages will best suit your needs in relation to your dorm. There are some limitations when choosing your list of preferences so make note of those when selecting.

You have until July 5 to get your lot preferences in. They do not go in order of when students apply, but rather wait until July 5, then immediately assign parking based on who currently holds a permit as well as their classification (senior, junior, sophomore, freshman). Certain lots, like Lot 30 and NSG (and others), give preference to on-campus residents. If your student is living off campus and plans to drive and park on campus daily, UCG may be the most central parking available unless they are a senior and can get into Lot 50. The TAMU Transportation Services website map also shows which lots are “any valid permit” lots, so if they are holding a permit to a central lot on campus, they can also park in an “any valid permit” lot for purposes of studying at the Med Sci Library, for example. Be sure to check out which lots are night lots only (5 p.m. - 6 a.m.) or day lots, and lots where parking is not permitted on game days. Also remember that if your student is bringing a car to campus, check with your insurance carrier to see if it is cheaper to record their car as garaged in College Station vs. your home. We live in Harris County with the highest premiums in the state. By having my son’s car parked in College Station vs. at home, we save $500 in premium each year, so that easily covers his parking expenses.

My son’s going to be in the Corps and his truck doesn’t fit in the garages, so our only reasonable lot choice is 40. How likely are freshman to get lot 40?

How do you register for a lot if you do not know your dorm? Should they wait until they know which dorm they received?

I have the same question as above. If my son doesn’t know his dorm yet should he wait to buy a parking pass? Or, get on the parking permit waitlist and randomly pick parking lots/garages?