Parking

<p>We are going to visit our daughter this weekend (non football weekend) Where should we park?</p>

<p>On the weekend, we’ve been able to find some spots right along the sidewalk by Riverside. If those aren’t free, we like to park in the Ferg parking lot. It’s three bucks, but at least I know where my car is and that it won’t be ticketed. However, there are often free spaces along the sidewalk between Lakeside Dining and the Ferg, so you may not have to pay to park. There is a ground level lot by the Ferg, but I’m not sure if that is restricted on the weekend. Others on the board may be able to fill you in. Enjoy your visit!</p>

<p>jkmmm5: Where does your daughter live? If you give a location, you may get a better response as to where you should park. I would hate for you to park near the Ferg and your daughter lives on the other side of the campus, especially if you are bringing items to her.</p>

<p>she lives in ridgecrest south - thanks!</p>

<p>On the weekends and after 6PM weekdays, you can park in surface lots (ie the ferg lot, street parking, but not the garages) without a fee. As long as you don’t park in handicapped spots without the appropriate permit or park in faculty-in-residence spaces, you should be fine ($250 citation for parking in those spaces), though I wouldn’t park in the state vehicle parking spots either. Restrictions such as 30 minute parking do not apply.</p>

<p>Have you spent much time in T-Town before? Do you want some recommendations as to where to eat?</p>

<p>Here’s mine…</p>

<p>DePalma’s for Italian Downtown (on University Blvd, west of Queen City Avenue, but east of Lurleen Wallace)</p>

<p>Swen’s for Chinese East of Publix</p>

<p>Full Moon for BBQ (we don’t like Dreamland at all…but that’s us) on McFarland</p>

<p>5 Guys for burgers (Midtown Village)</p>

<p>Iguana Grill for Mexian (back area of Midtown Village)</p>

<p>Longhorn for steaks (Midtown Village)</p>

<p>Mellow Mushroom for Pizza (by De Palma’s)</p>

<p>FIG for Sunday brunch (on McFarland, but north of the river)</p>

<p>Cypress Inn for beautiful view (other side of river)</p>

<p>Second the recommendation for Cypress Inn. We had a wonderful “going away” dinner there with our good friends as the boys were checking in for Alabama Action. A beautiful view of the river.</p>

<p>I’m printing out your dining suggestions! As always, thanks for the helpful info!!!</p>

<p>of those recs i second</p>

<p>depalmas & full moon</p>

<p>we didnt care for swen and five guys is ok but not a destination spot for us. but lots of people LOVE it.</p>

<p>havent been to any of the others.</p>

<p>you forgot bentos!</p>

<p>what’s FIG?</p>

<p>anyone been to or heard of nicks in the sticks?? i want to try that!!</p>

<p>OP, SEA_tide summed it up perfectly. You can park on any surface lot after 6pm on Friday, except for any spot marked specifically otherwise, such as Faculty-in-Residence parking.</p>

<p>As far as dining recommendations, I would add Sitar Indian Restaurant for (obviously) Indian food, Ruan Thai on the Strip for Thai food, and Ichiban for Japanese food (it’s in the same shopping center as Sitar).</p>

<p>Nick’s in the Sticks is quite an experience. It was just featured on Saturday night during the football game on ESPN on Todd Blackledge’s “Taste of the Town” segment. It’s kinda hard to find. First, it’s in rather remote part of town, and second, because there’s no sign for it - you just have to know where it is. But you’ll be fine, I can tell you where it is if you want to know. ;)</p>

<p>Modified list…</p>

<p>DePalma’s for Italian (Downtown on University Blvd, west of Queen City Avenue, but east of Lurleen Wallace)</p>

<p>Swen’s - for Chinese - East of Publix - in the same shopping area that Coldstone is… It’s not super Chinese food, but it’s good and it’s very reasonably priced…so if you’re paying for a group…</p>

<p>Bentos…the Bento’s Chicken is awesome. There are several chicken dishes but the one called Bento’s chicken is the best.</p>

<p>Full Moon for BBQ (we don’t like Dreamland at all…but that’s us) on McFarland</p>

<p>5 Guys for burgers (Midtown Village) </p>

<p>Iguana Grill for Mexian (back area of Midtown Village)</p>

<p>Longhorn for steaks (Midtown Village)</p>

<p>Mellow Mushroom for Pizza (by De Palma’s)</p>

<p>**FIG<a href=“Stands%20for%20Food%20is%20Good”>/B</a>…it’s a cute cafe bistro…We’ve gone there for Sunday brunch (on McFarland, but north of the river) But, also good for other meals!
[FIG</a> in Tuscaloosa - Menu](<a href=“http://www.figintuscaloosa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3]FIG”>http://www.figintuscaloosa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3) Also, has pre-made foods to go to be heated in oven/micro.</p>

<p>Nick’s in the Sticks - (205) 758-9316 Go south on Culver Rd (it’s south west of UA)
4018 Culver Rd
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401</p>

<p>Cypress Inn for beautiful view (other side of river)</p>

<p>My husband mentioned wanting to go to Nick’s in the Sticks… now I know where he heard of it. Thanks for the directions!</p>

<p>I’m thinking we’ll go there and Cypress Inn. Should I make reservations?</p>

<p>m2ck - I vaguely remember reading some time back that you said 5 Guys is better than In n Out. Do I have that right? My family loves In n Out, so we may have to check out 5 Guys also.</p>

<p>Our beloved m2ck may not like Dreamland, but we LOVE it.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>LOL…I think it’s one of those things where you either love a sweeter sauce or a more vinegary based sauce.</p>

<p>Sweet tooth here.</p>

<p>I’m with m2ck, too. We are sweet barbecue people. Love Memphis ribs. </p>

<p>We do like the atmosphere of Full Moon, though, and I could make a meal off the deserts alone. If you like Bama football, you should definitely visit Full Moon. Just love the photographs that adorn the walls. Their Full Moon cookies, chocolate chip dipped in chocolate, are a great souvenir to bring back home, if they make it that far.</p>

<p>We will have to find Nicks in the Sticks. What kind of food is there?</p>

<p>On our last visit, we did wind up at son’s favorite, good old Arby’s. He’s a chicken tenders and curly fries kind of guy. He’s deeply upset that Burger King in the Ferg does not have chicken tenders, and he’s not a fan of Chik-Fil-A. He has discovered his favorite chicken tenders at Publix and now makes them in his dorm in the microwave.</p>

<p>Son did go to Mugshots a couple of weeks ago and liked Katie’s Chicken Tenders and Junie’s Moo Moo Milkshake. He also suggested Mabel’s Mashed Potatoes. I hear Mugshot’s has good burgers, too. </p>

<p>Anyway, passing on these “fussy eaters” tips in case y’all are bringing younger siblings who may be picky eaters.</p>

<p>We are excited to hear about y’all’s visits and any new discoveries you may have made.</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>

<p>My D loves Mugshots & took family friends there last weekend. I hear that their burgers are quite good. </p>

<p>I googled Nick’s in the Sticks and I am drooling. I forwarded the link I found about it to my DH & he said “that sounds like our kind of place!” [Nick's</a> in the Sticks (Nick’s Original Filet House) | Well That’s Cool](<a href=“http://www.wellthatscool.com/drupal/node/76]Nick’s”>http://www.wellthatscool.com/drupal/node/76)</p>

<p>We have 3 Five Guys and 2 Mellow Mushrooms here so that doesn’t entice me, but I’m printing out that list for future reference. Now, I need to figure out a time when I’ll be in Tuscaloosa beyond picking up or dropping off ;)</p>

<p>Yea, RobD, that’s our problem, too. Dying to take son to Cypress Inn, he’ll love the view, but always dropping him off right before his Marathon Monday. Looks like it will be the same in the spring.</p>

<p>And don’t y’all just love the South?</p>

<p>The conversation always turns to Food!</p>

<p>Went to Full Moon once. My son isn’t into BBQ that much. He also does not do fried foods (although he has had fried pickles twice). He’s more of an Oliver Garden guy. Lots of salad and break sticks.</p>

<p>Put Yogurt Mountain on the list. Awesome place.</p>

<p>Montegut: Get two New Yorkers together. They always talk food – usually bagels, crumb cake and pizza.</p>

<p>See and I thought it was an Italian thing. My BIL sits through Thanksgiving in amazement every year (even after 22 years) that we’ll all be stuffed yet talking about meals to come :)</p>

<p>Ah, that could be why S was not overly excited about Dreamland, too vinegar-y. We will have to try Full Moon. I also want to try Nicks in the Stix.</p>