Party Scene at VT

<p>I'm probably going to attend Virginia Tech and was wondering what the party scene at VT was like. How does it compare with other colleges like JMU and UVA? Do most of the parties happen in houses/apartments or frats? Are they mostly weekends? Any info would be appreciated.</p>

<p>Honestly, hardly anywhere compares to JMU. I think VT has a very good party scene, but JMU are professionals. I can’t imagine UVA beating out either VT or JMU (unless you like dinner parties) but I’ve never been there and that is just school pride talking.</p>

<p>Most of the parties are house parties, and yeah, they’re mostly on the weekends. There are frat parties pretty regularly if you like that scene, although if you’re a guy you’d probably get some static after the rush periods were over if you weren’t friends with people in the frat. There are some frats that are better than others in that regard.</p>

<p>House parties are the best when the weather is nice and do die down a bit during the winter, although if you make some friends that throw/go to parties a lot you’ll always be able to find somewhere to go. When it is warm out if you’re relatively personable you can walk around the larger complexes and find a big (bigger the better) party and just head in. It’s a little risky because you won’t always be welcome (bring beer and you’ll be more welcome) but it’s alright for when your contacts fall through on the odd weekend. If you’re an even moderately attractive girl you’ll have 0 problem ever getting into/invited to a party.</p>

<p>As far as how the house parties actually are, that’ll obviously depend on who is throwing it. Some are small get-togethers where people just hang out and play cornhole or whatever (don’t crash those.) Some are huge parties that usually end up getting busted because people somehow still don’t understand that a bunch of people standing on your porch will get you busted. If you’re at a party that gets busted they’ll just make you leave; I’ve never seen somebody get arrested for MIP or anything like that, and I’ve been to a lot of parties that got busted that were attended by a lot of minors, myself included for a couple years. Just leave quietly and don’t make an idiot out of yourself and you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>The bar scene is decent, although I prefer the house party scene. Champs and Hokie House are my two favorites. Sharkeys is ok but overcrowded. The Cellar is a great place to just grab a beer. If you want to dance I think Awful Arthurs is really the only place to go, although it’s not really that good. Blacksburg needs a good club.</p>

<p>Don’t party in the dorms. Pregaming is fine, but partying will get you busted.</p>

<p>Anything else, just ask.</p>

<p>Are the girls “loose” at VT as other schools? I know girls at predominantly engineering schools get a really bad reps for that arena in college life. Any input?</p>

<p>Thanks for the good answer. Would you say that there are huge parties every weekend or just when the weather is nice?</p>

<p>It’s a big school, there are all sorts of girls. I wouldn’t say they have a reputation for being one way or the other on the whole. Yeah, we’re an engineering school, but there is a lot more to VT than that.</p>

<p>There’s a huge party somewhere every weekend, but the trick would be finding it. The good thing about when the weather is good is more people have them and they’re easier to find. Like I said though, if you make some friends that go to a lot of parties you’ll be able to stay on top of things pretty easily.</p>

<p>I was just wondering what the tailgates are like at Virginia Tech. Are they usually at frat houses or huge tailgates like Indiana University or are they pretty small</p>

<p>Tailgates are huge, if you’re greek you’ll probably be at a fraternity and if you’re not you’ll be everywhere else. Pretty much the entire town stops on gamedays and you’ll find tailgates miles from the stadium. Generally alumni tailgate in the lots close to the stadium, students use the commuter lot across campus and various houses around town. Houston St, Center St, and Harell St tend to get a little wild… For the Thursday night game Redbull threw a tailgate there. No other school in the country compares to the Thursday night game in Blacksburg.</p>

<p>Tailgating is pretty big, although our AD’s hatred of people having a good time (too many games before 3pm) dampers it a bit. The frats have tailgates, the colleges have tailgates, random people have tailgates, there is a housing section near the stadium that transforms into one giant tailgate. It’s very good, but admittedly not SEC good. Some people make fried turkey legs which always seemed a bit cannabilistic to me but ah well.</p>

<p>You can always find a good tailgate at Tech. There are parties every weekend and frats throw down on Thursdays, as long as it’s not the weekend of finals. You will have fun if you come here</p>