Pay in tech and finance

Apparently not in CS.

This advisor that gave the advice is in CS. I donā€™t mean from a salary point of view, although even that is subpar vs industry. I mean from the point of view of getting hired at a respectable research university, getting tenure etc. I have so many friends that are CS academics.

Our experiences clearly differ. Iā€™ve seen quite a few getting their tenure (and even full professorship) within a surprisingly short period of time at some prestigious universities.

Actually, Iā€™d disagree. A full professor post at a major U, with published books and a sideline consulting firm could be a great and high paying life. Plus, the time commitment of being in a class can be very low.

Itā€™s the adjunct lecturers and those who canā€™t get the tenure track that are unhappyy. The only issue I see with becoming a professor is, you have to go down the path in order to see if youā€™d be on a tenure trace. For someone who loves research and their field it can be an excellent career. And in CS, someone could sit on corporate boards so another $ benefit.

1 Like

I am not sure which vintage you are talking about ā€“ I am told, that at Georgia Tech for instance, there are on average 100-150 resumes for each open slot now.

Just last week I was talking to someone who is a distinguished university professor of CS at a large state flagship, nationally top 15 program. I think he mentioned 60-70 hour workweeks ā€“ professional duties, editing journals, being on committees, doing his own research, teaching responsibilities etc. The pay may be in the low 200s. IEEE fellow, ACM fellow etc ā€“ very accomplished senior person. Thatā€™s a lot of work. Not enough money relative to industry.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™re lots of applicants for any tenure track position, but that doesnā€™t mean some highly qualified applicants arenā€™t in high demand. When universities have to compete with industry for the best talents, they have to put their best foot forward.

1 Like

And then you have Stanford CS professors teaching classes, running labs, while working in the industry and sitting on boards of directors in large tech companies (example in the news - Twitter). Wonder about that paycheckā€¦ā€¦.

3 Likes

In the world of CS academia, Stanford and MIT are in a separate bucket regarding opportunities. Everyone else is not in that financial bucket.

Well, thatā€™s a single data point so I wouldnā€™t extrapolate generalizations based on one personā€™s career. My spouse who isnā€™t a professor is a single data point. If you dug dipper, his career high points and low points canā€™t be applied to everyone in the same field and then lumped into a data set called X category. Not even close.

One way to look at professorships would be to look at specific universities. How many full professors? What are the tracks? What is salary? Which groups within the U are hiring fastest? Who are the stars? How did they get there. When I was thinking of becoming a professor, I looked at my U, there were zero full female professors in my field. That told me prospects werenā€™t good for a Phd track. Today, there are full professors (female) in my field. But there werenā€™t for a long time. In fact, my Masters was fully paid because they wanted more women in the field. Obviously, they eventually got them. But, I would have missed the professor track by about ten years had I chosen that path. I was ten years too early. I made an assessment based on data not on a single person but on the schools where I would have actually enjoyed teaching.

And many who bounc from industry into academia and back again. This seems common esp in industries like tech, bio-tech, business etc. YMMV, If you are a Medieval Literature prof. LOL.

@neela1 I donā€™t understand the observation that Stanford and MIT is a separate bucket than anyone else? Do you mean in a specific narrow field? I can imagine that many schools can compete with these graduates for tenure track (What about schools like Caltech, Harvey Mudd, CMU? + Others?)

1 Like

Separate bucket in terms of what is possible for faculty to have outside opportunities ā€“ outside of the university.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t the point that everyone wants Stanford and MIT professors on their board? Those stock options can be lucrative, potentially worth millions if you get lucky.

But Iā€™ve seen professors at many other universities make a fortune from expert witness work.

Economics professors in particular are great at maximizing their value (recent project I saw one charging $1300 per hour and they often get a kickback from the economic consulting firms on top). Iā€™ve seen engineering professors get $800+ per hour and make several hundred thousand dollars per year on top of their salary.

2 Likes

Just curious what are they charging for in terms of projects? Thatā€™s a high hourly rate.

Expert witness work. Everyone needs an economist to opine on the damages theyā€™ve suffered. What Iā€™ve seen is professors spending a day a week on this sort of thing, billing as much as 400-500 hours a year.

1 Like

Expert witness, makes perfect sense.

We call that a hobby down here on earth. If youā€™re doing something for no money, you are ā€œretiredā€ in the normal sense that term is used.

Where is this place where your son, who I assume is in his early 20s, is going to work for 10 to 15 years, working 50-60 hours a week and retire in 10 to 15? If itā€™s real, Iā€™d like to tell my kid about it. Too late for me I guess.

Am I confusing you with the poster who said mid-career range Bay Area tech average pay was over $4 million / year? Or was that somebody else?

1 Like

There are unstructured somewhat lower probability paths through tech and more structured higher probability path through quant finance. You need to figure out which kind of work you like better. As @Htas pointed out several times, the paths through IB or PE may also get you there, but those are not 50-60/wk.

1 Like

IMO, there are some paths which will get you ā€œthereā€ in 20 years with close to 100 hours work weeks, some real luck and contacts and focus. I donā€™t know of ANY 10 to 15 hour paths though we do know people whoā€™ve sold their companies before 40. Itā€™s rare though.
Saving 50K per year from 22-32 and selling a company for 10 million and investing wisely is going to get you ā€œthereā€. How many people do you know in that bucket? Even the sale of a company is often split in multiple ways and taxes are insane in these cases. And things happen. not all good esp with stock/sales, etc.

To reach this goal, I wouldnā€™t suggest IB/PE but a combined early focus in a highly skilled job reaching Senior Director (tech)/VP Finance by 30 years old, then a transition to building ones own biz/start up with a sale soon after. Iā€™ve never seen someone retire based on a corporate job after 10-15 years. Never. Even in super high paying fields. Never say never, Iā€™ve just never seen it. And Iā€™ve seen waves of great tech/financial booms.

1 Like

People may not retire because they donā€™t want to.
It also depends on what their needs are.
You need to have a clearly defined goal and manage expenses along the way.
I know several people in tech that are worth 20mm by 35, and these people are not startup people. Of course they have done well. Many/most people in tech work less than 60hrs/wk. You need to join a fast growing company in a hot area ā€“ around a $10-50bn valuation ā€“ so its not too small to blow up etc. I was just commenting to a friend yesterday that Nvidia grew 55x in the past 8 years, as an example. And then you need to stay for some time. Your wealth grows with the company. These may be less possible in the future as/if interest rates rise sharply from here and tech valuations stagnate.
Quant finance I am told is a more reliable path. The market makers (except Virtuu) are mostly organized as partnerships ā€“ I am not talking about the actual legal structure. But the capital is partner and employee capital. They start high and also have a steep comp curve. The hours are very reasonable ā€“ 50-55 when you are starting off. You get to invest in the firm yourself etc. A lot of these people are very nerdy / frugal people. They donā€™t spend too much money relative to their income, partly also because there is a lot of volatility in the comp. They also know that it is a shorter 10-20 year career rather than a 30-40 year career. So they save more. Someone who was leaving Citadel after 4-5 years I recently heard, had 2.4mm saved. And this is the early part of the career for this person. He was going back to grad school because he wants to become a professor.

2 Likes