Peace Of Mind??

<p>

Great. Why do “plenty of colleges” send out Peace Of Mind letters?

Why shouldn’t people be worried about not getting a letter offering the recipients “Peace Of Mind”? I think it would be better to have received one than not. And if you didn’t receive one maybe you should not be too confident of your admissions chances. I’m not saying that you are not going to get in but it would seem that Purdue did not think highly enough of you to give you a POM letter. Maybe you should worry…just a little.</p>

<p>Have you shared your feeling about these POM letters with anyone in administration at Purdue or with the plenty of other colleges that do this?</p>

<p>I am actually currently a sophomore at Purdue and if you’re trying to prove a point or be witty, it’s not working. So, no, I am not worried about a “piece of mind” letter. I am simply saying these letters shouldn’t automatically cause concern for people applying who didn’t receive one.</p>

<p>You’re both most likely right. Purdue, which I believe until last year was a true “rolling” school (without a rolling start date) is trying to cherry pick with these likely letters to keep their name in the forethought of their better candidates minds. It is a realtively common practice. With so many competing schools already making offers of acceptances, it’s kind of smart business to keep their names in the game, especially with a change in scheduled admission decisions. I DO believe they mean something to those who received them…and it’s good news. But I DON’T read anything into those who might not have received them either. obviously from the many posts there are tons of uber qualified candidates who did not, for whatever reason, get one. The problem is Purdue (as well as many other schools) don’t bank on forums like CC where in real time, we can share info and discrepancies and conspiracy theories (for a lot of us parents it’s fun although to our kids, the actual applicants, and to those already ATTENDING, it must seem kinda anal) Since all posts, including those who have applied in the past, are all valid, even if they express concern or worry or are meant to put minds at ease, we should try not to rush to judgment. It’s too easy to become snarky or judgmental on anonymous forums like this, but we’re all on the same team…right?</p>

<p>why is everybody getting so worked up over this letter ? if you got it, congratulations! but if you didn’t, just wait until dec 10. not getting that letter isn’t a rejection in any way.</p>

<p>i wonder if schools like harvard and mit send out such letters and how hard people would obsess over getting one lol</p>

<p>I talked to my dentist, her son got this letter last year. He was an excellent applicant and Purdue was his safety. He did not end up going to Purdue. I agree with all who said they are sort of “cherry picking” the best applicants. I did not get one, so I am keeping my fingers crossed :slight_smile: Congrats to those who got one.</p>