Penn State Campus Visits: Share Your Tips & Recommendations

Did you recently visit Penn State? Share your experience with the community! Post your review in the comments below.

Some ideas for what to share:

• When did you visit?
  • Where did you stay? Would you recommend it?
  • Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties?
  • How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus?
  • What was the campus vibe?
  • What did you think of the dorms?
  • What are some must-see things in or around campus?
  • How were the school facilities?
  • Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why?
  • Did anything surprise you?

We’d love to hear any tips or recommendations you can share for people planning their visit!

• When did you visit?

2/23/23 - Blue track (full day program)

Hyatt Place State College - Would recommend as it’s a block from campus and on one of the main streets of downtown.

Margarita’s Pizzeria

• How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus?

If you stay at Hyatt Place (or others by campus) there’s no need for the tour option given to drive to the BJC just to park and shuttle to the HUB. You can just walk to the HUB from your hotel.

Positive, fun, social and very busy.

Lots of dorm options. We went into two at the ground floor commons area and then another building that had a model room with an example of an unrenovated (traditional) on one side and a renovated room on the other.

The Nittany Lion Shrine, ‘We Are’ Sculpture, Intramural (IM) building, Berkey Creamery and Old Main on campus and downtown off campus.

Lots of variety of buildings old and new. Some new facilities in construction and some old being renovated. Excellent dining facility options. Very clean.

I was impressed by the small community feel of a campus of this size. The downtown area and all it has to offer was larger and has more options than I thought before we visited. Lots of students wearing Penn State gear and very proud of their university.

As stated above, I was impressed by the small community feel of a campus of this size.

1 Like
  • When did you visit? August
  • Where did you stay? Would you recommend it? Stayed at hotel in Harrisburg because it was mid-way between University Park and Philadelphia where we toured another school the day before
  • Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties? Creamery and Panda Express. Since it was summer, most on-campus dining was not open.
  • How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus? drove from Long Island
  • What was the campus vibe? Very positive. We were there during early move-in day.
  • What did you think of the dorms? Didn’t visit. Signed up for campus tour but wound up spending the whole day at Bellisario College, touring facilities and meeting with admission counselor
  • What are some must-see things in or around campus? creamery, lion
  • How were the school facilities? New Bellisario building was very impressive
  • Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why? We liked it much more. We almost cancelled because we thought it would be too big for D23 and we didn’t want to make drive but Bellisario made Penn State feel smaller.
  • Did anything surprise you? How much we enjoyed our visit.
1 Like
  • When did you visit?
    We visited in April, my daughter was admitted as a transfer student. The campus was gorgeous! Amazingly well manicured and maintained. Lovely flowers and landscaping.
    I have stayed at the Hyatt a couple time but my favorite is The Graduate. I always stay there when they have vacancy. Short walk to campus, reasonable price, parking on site, cool/quirky vibe.
    We have struggled a bit to find a good sit down family restaurant in downtown State College. Faccia Luna is good but a short drive from campus. DP Dough is very good for take out.
    We drive from Westchester Co NY
    Very friendly students. They are proud to be students at PSU and all wearing the school gear. If you look lost on campus people stop to help you. It truly is the Happy Valley.
    My daughter’s dorm was fine. Not renovated but still very much okay. Nice view of the stadium.
    Take in a sporting event at the Bryce Jordan Center if you can. Basketball games are a lot of fun. Get ice cream at the Creamery.
    Very nice, everything I have seen.
    MORE!! Was surprised that a state school would have such a gorgeous and well kept campus. Buildings are pretty uniform architecturally. Makes for a very pretty picture.
    How much I like it. My daughter loved her time there.
1 Like
  • When did you visit? - Presidents Day Weekend

• Where did you stay? Would you recommend it? - Hyatt Place - and yes, definitely recommend. Great place!

• Where did you eat? Did you try any local specialties? The Federal Tap House, which is attached to the Hyatt (good, not great); The Creamery

• How did you get there? What’s the best transportation mean to get to-from the campus? We drove from NY

• What was the campus vibe? Just an awesome vibe. Felt small, even though its a huge campus. Kids seemed happy and friendly!

• What did you think of the dorms? Just saw the model dorm room on East but it was pretty standard. The common area of the dorm was great!

• What are some must-see things in or around campus? Just loved the whole vibe

• How were the school facilities? Seemed fine - went into a classroom and it was standard. As a former swimmer, couldn’t believe that a B1G 10 Program only has a 6 lane pool!

• Did you like it more or less than you thought you would? Why? We liked it way more than we thought we would. My daughter didn’t think she’d like it and now she loves it.

• Did anything surprise you? Just surprised at how small it felt even though its so big.

1 Like