Penn State Class of 2027 DECISION THREAD ONLY

They won’t let you submit an application without a second campus choice - I think for this exact reason.

1 Like

This is exact story for my son. We are blown away!

Follow up- my daughter was admitted to Smeal , Altoona and is beyond disappointed.
OOS
97.2 GPA weighted
Test optional
AP, college classes, Honors
Lots of extracurricular my son is currently a junior at UP in Smeal
My daughter’s grades were higher than his

:woman_shrugging:t3:

My son accepted into UP
3.68 GPA from college prep academic high school
No APs, No Honors
Varsity Team Captain
No test scores
OOS

Also, we are from Bay Area of California, not a lot of kids apply to Penn State from here so maybe that helped him.

2 Likes

Anyone get in UP for Engineering?

Congratulations. What major did he apply to?

Congrats! What major did he apply to?

Yes, DD accepted UP Engineering
4.0UW/4.7 weighted GPA
14 AP’s/2 DE and honors.
SAT: 1310
Legacy: parents, aunts and grandparents.

1 Like

Did he put summer session? My daughter did not take SAT’s and 3.2 GPA and was accepted to UP Smeal yesterday with summer session.

Congratulations! Is she out of state? And what major?

1 Like

No, did not put summer session. Congratulations to your daughter:)

1 Like

oos 4.6 weighted 4.0 unweighted class pres, 4 year varsity athlete, rank 2 in class and did not get into UP for nursing but was accepted to second choice. Took several AP, honors and dual enrollment courses

congrats!

Do you think the Summer start is big differentiator? The variability in stats for those that are getting into UP, especially for Smeal, feels like it has to do with intangibles and nothing to do with grades? Is that just me?

2 Likes

We had a shock as well. My son has 4.46 weighted GPA, 3.97 unweighted, 8 AP, 1 DE, most other classes honors, leadership EC, varsity athlete, job … and got accepted to Smeal UP but with summer session. We are OOS (VA). He got into UGA which is in his top 3, so it’s ok. If he decides he really wants PSU, I would probably call and see if they will reconsider - he has enough AP credits that with summer session he could graduate in 3 years (including 4s on both Econ AP exams). I was thinking maybe because he specified a Finance major and did not take AP Calc? Anyway, you just never know, and in my heart I feel like my son will end up where he should be.

2 Likes

[ACT] (ACT - College Confidential): 32 (super 33)
SAT:
GPA: 3.95 UW / 4.4 W

of Honors/AP Courses: 8 AP, rest honors / IB

State Residency: MN

Applied date: 10/10
Applied Early Action: Yes
Decision date: 11/10
Major Applied to/Accepted: Econ / Econ
Decision/College: (e.g. ACCEPTED, College of Engineering) ACCEPTED, College of Liberal Arts
Campus applied to/Campus accepted to: UP / UP

1 Like

I feel like colleges are much harder to get into this year. My older son got into PSU 3 years ago with lower grades and SAT than middle son who was accepted yesterday to Smeal with summer session.

1 Like

Kind of the same boat. So frustrating- though PSU wasn’t absolutely his top…still very disappointed. Also Virginia.

What was her weighted GPA? A 3.2 getting into Smeal, even for summer, would be almost unheard of.

2 Likes

They will not reconsider for fall without a change in his major. I suggest calling and changing to DUS (Undecided) and he will almost certainly get in for fall