Penn State Class of 2027 Merit - Provost Award, Schreyer and Scholarship Thread

Good morning all,

I’m starting this thread to discuss all things merit, scholarships and Schreyer. The PSU website indicates that the university will start awarding the Provost Award beginning in December on a rolling basis. To date, I haven’t seen any reports of someone receiving the award. Once you or your kiddo hears, please post the details and their stats in this thread. Same goes for departmental scholarships and then eventually Schreyer decisions. Good luck to all!

4 Likes

Anyone know if you can ask for more merit or merit in general based on merit money from other schools? Does Penn match offers?

That is unlikely to be effective with Penn State. (“Penn” is the Ivy League school based in Philadelphia, The University of Pennsylvania. ) They are notoriously lacking in merit awards, and with upwards of 100k applicants they don’t have much worry that the lack of scholarship money will drag applications down.

Agreed. PSU does very little Merit. I wonder if they are stronger on their sports scholarships than scholastic scholarships?

1 Like

We should start hearing about provost awards hopefully soon. They seem to be a little late in rolling them out this year, as we haven’t heard of any to date. If someone receives one, please post it here with your kiddo’s stats.

1 Like

According to Penn State student aid, 2023-2024 financial aid notifications … for first year students, starting fall 2023, who have submitted a FAFSA …. will receive an email Jan. 30th - Feb. 3rd. (I can’t tell if that is all or just starting that week).

They say to monitor your email and there will be a link.

https://studentaid.psu.edu/aid-notification/availability

1 Like

Thank you. Do you have any sense/info how NOT submitting a FAFSA may or may not impact chances for a Provost’s or academic-college-specific merit scholarship? I know that the FAFSA is not required and that those awards are reportedly not distributed via Student Aid, but is a FAFSA still a possible factor for awards classified as merit and to what degree?

@Commonapplicant00 I don’t know.

I do know that they always encourage you to submit a FAFSA regardless of your eligibility. For example, there might be merit awards that require a FAFSA despite the fact they don’t use the FAFSA as a criteria. Backwards, I know.

I’ve encouraged my kid to do it regardless.

1 Like

Ugh, thanks. Related to the Provost’s, I did call admissions and asked directly whether award eligibility/consideration would be impacted by enrollment prior to award distribution. The answer was, “It shouldn’t.”So still kind of wondering. I have heard of academic-college merit being offered to enrolled students practically into the fall semester. I love Penn State, but I would not mind a more cut-and-dried and transparent process

Has anyone heard back about engineering scholarships? And has anyone been awarded the provost yet? Or do you think these will all come out with the notification coming this week? Thanks!

I got the Provost award just this afternoon, so they’re definitely starting today.

How were you notified? Also what’s your major? And congratulations :tada:

1 Like

I was notified via email and my major is Forensic science. The email did say that I’d be getting more details via a mailed letter which will come soon.

Our son just got one as well!

I’m debating on whether I should go straight to UP or do Berks for the first two years. If I choose 2+2, will I still have the Provost?

1 Like

I’m not sure! I would contact admissions and ask.

1 Like

Is this award given in waves or have all recipients been notified?

I’m not sure, but several people reported receiving it on the FB parent page.

1 Like

I did see that, thanks!

Just curious if those that received provost award accepted their offer of admission? Is everyone considered?