Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

So many factors, tough to draw conclusions. My son’s Naviance is showing kids with lower scores getting into UP year in and year out.

Maybe not using the test scores will make a difference for your Son Fingers crossed. It’s hard knowing which was the right thing to go with.

I know I saw that too. I’m wondering is it his age. He’s the youngest in his class I wonder is that something they look at.
Crazy thing is he already got into Michigan State and Ohio State. One ranks about the same and the other ranks better. I really am confused.

How did he already hear from Ohio State?

4 Likes

A 3.6 and 1300 SAT are both on the low end of the middle 50%. That’s considered a borderline applicant and very well could be accepted to a commonwealth campus rather than UP. EC’s don’t matter at Penn State. Or, I should say - they barely matter. DUS has become more competitive in recent years due to Smeal and Engineering students figuring out (often through places like this site) that they can get in with borderline grades for those majors (think 3.8, 3.9) and still pursue those majors.
In years past, there would be no benefit to applying to a major in liberal arts over DUS. But perhaps that is not the case this year.

I hope he gets accepted to UP campus, but if he doesn’t, I would look into the Altoona, Erie or Harrisburg campuses rather than Berks. Those campuses are 4 year colleges in their own right and most people really love their experiences there.

TO button is gone as of 6pm. Hoping the decision comes thru at midnight!

3 Likes

a 3.6 is the lowest of the middle 50%. That is not a shoe-in for any of the majors. It’s a borderline stat. Lots of kids get in with a 3.6, but lots also get deferred to a commonwealth. A lot of it will depend on how the HS weights grades, and whether that 3.6 is weighted or not. I’ve seen 4.0 students denied because their HS weighting was so lenient. It’s happened a few times over the years on CC that I’ve seen. But it’s not the norm for sure.

Summer with DUS has always given the best chance at admission. But like we’ve said, things have changed this year so a lot of us may be surprised at the outcomes. If they are telling people that DUS isn’t the way to make an applicant the most competitive, then that’s a new development

When did you apply? Good luck!

Did he have a weighted gpa as well?

He applied Oct 3rd.

My question too

Thanks. I hope he gets in.

thank you! ill report back

Is the test optional button not on my portal a sign that I’m going to get a decision? Haven’t heard yet…just want to know when to get my hopes up

1 Like

I’m on another website and that was the only school as of a few days ago no one had heard from

1 Like

curious which school you think ranks about the same and which is better. Without being major specific Michigan State is a lot easier to get into than PSU or Ohio State. Most students who target PSU will also target Ohio State, but again it could vary based on major.

1 Like

Has anyone gotten accepted into the College of Science? Applied beginning of Sept for Forensic Science.

Based on your experience @jlhpsu do you think a 3.5 (with several APs and honors classes) with 1430 SAT would have a chance for DUS? How much have they considered SAT vs. GPA? Also parents are PSU alums if that helps!

I was wondering the same thing about hearing from Ohio State. I didn’t think they were released yet.

I had the same question. As per the Ohio State website, EA decisions will be released tentatively on Dec 9 and Jan 20.

1 Like