Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

Ty!

Are there people still waiting to hear their decision? it seems like everyone is hearing from Penn State and my son is still waiting.

We are still waiting with you! My son applied to the digital arts and media major within the school of arts and architecture. Everything was complete by 10/10.

1 Like

Our son received his decision but most at his school are still waiting. When we spoke to an admissions counselor several weeks back she said that most decisions would come out end of Nov to mid-December. So, there will be much more to come!

3 Likes

DD got her acceptance to UP this morning!!! Eberly College of Science, Biology major.
Test optional button did not disappear last night as of 11pm

2 Likes

I know this question has been asked in the past, but the answers I’ve found have been vague so I’m going to see if anyone can weigh in. What merit scholarships/aid does PSU provide for OOS students? I understand that getting into Honors would result in a $5,000 annual scholarship, but what else is available? I’ve seen people say that the university doesn’t offer a lot for freshman and sophomores, but if anyone knows what is offered for juniors and seniors that would be helpful information. The price tag for PSU without aid is very high, so this will absolutely be something many will have to weigh.

Do not expect any merit aid unless you are in the honors college and that amount is not a lot compared to the cost. Scholarships ARE possible for upperclassmen but they better have a very high GPA and be extremely involved in the department. Merit scholarships are few and far between at Penn State.

1 Like

Thanks that’s what I’ve read from prior posts. But when you say merit scholarships are few and far between, has anyone received one outside of honors?

still anxiously waiting as well!

Yes, they do. But again, few and far between. And even those are minimal. From Penn State’s financial aid site

“Typical scholarship awards can range from $1,500 per year to $5,000 per year, however, the average value usually does not exceed $2,500”.

Some academic colleges within Penn State offer scholarships to students in their college. Some require an additional application and some do not. You can see the list here https://studentaid.psu.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships/academic-colleges
and click the links for the specific colleges which will tell you what aid they participate in, if any.

I love Penn State, but it’s one of the most expensive public universities in the country - and that’s because it’s not a state school. It’s a land grant university and gets a small percentage of it’s funding from the state. It’s also not fully private. That in-between status seems to limit it’s ability to offer large merit scholarships. They do participate in all federal and state need based programs.

1 Like

Thanks for the scholarship info. My son intends to major in journalism and history and really likes PSU. But, the price is definitely a factor. I’d be curious to hear what type of stats/circumstances had landed those scholarships in the past. As small as they are, it’s something. Thanks again.

My son is still waiting too.

Three people ik are still waiting

We are still waiting.

1 Like

We are still waiting on Nursing… I have not seen many of those. Last year they seemed to put them out in a bulk batch

1 Like

Applied 10/24 or 25.

1 Like

Still waiting here as well! Applied 10/31!

1 Like

My daughter (in her 5th year at PSU) received $4k/year for 4 years. It was part of the For The Glory scholarship, Provosts Scholarship. I think you are automatically considered for it when you are accepted.

1 Like

Thanks. Would you mind sharing her stats at acceptance? I’m trying to figure out if it’s a possibility. Thanks again.

My son received a national merit scholarship…. In September of his freshman year. Apparently, he got an email that I did not see. Looks like it is $1,631 for fall and the same for spring. Don’t know if it continues into sophomore year or not. (He is also a honors college kid, so nice to stack them).

Older sister was never awarded any merit - other than Honors scholarship. She graduated with a 3.97 (summa cum laude) with a Smeal major and 4 minors and extensive on-campus involvement. All that paid off because she landed well for internships and after graduation.

2 Likes