Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

do you know if they will release out decisions today even though they are closed?

Depends on which major you’d want to change into. Your best bet would be to change from liberal arts to undecided during freshman year because you can go into any non direct entry major from there.

I have no idea, but they may be working remotely. Also, I believe decisions are scheduled as well. But it might make processing decisions a little slower.

so what major in liberal arts would give me the best chance at getting in?

1 Like

Any guess on what Stats were needed for acceptance to Smeal/UP?

For example, would criminology give me a better chance then DUS?

Unfortunately, there is not published data for acceptance rates within specific majors/departments. In the past, liberal arts and dus were equally as competitive. But DUS has gotten more competitive in recent years, so my feeling is liberal arts is still less competitive than DUS. Some majors are very popular or Penn State is known for having a good program. Psychology comes to mind. Criminology is generally not a super competitive major but whether it gives you a better shot than any other LA major - that I don’t know.

High stats. Like close to or over 4.0. Smeal is THE most competitive major at Penn State with the exception of possibly nursing. But unlike nursing where you must get in freshman year, you can still get into Smeal from undecided after completing all fo the entry to major requirements in your first two years. No one (except direct entry majors) is in their major until after they complete entry to major requirements anyway.

wondering what chances are to UP

3.9 GPA
test optional
3 APs
Dual Enrollment course
Took a Forensics course in the summer at George Mason University- got credit
Lots of EC, volunteer hours, and a bunch of work experience

applying for Forensic Science

When choosing go TO after submitting you do not delay your acceptance do you? Since that lovely TO button is there haunting us all I’m guessing it’s there to change if you want until it magically disappears?

1 Like

GPA 3.9
TO
Lots of EC’s, leadership and volunteer hours.

1 Like

Do you happen to know if someone gets into their second choice campus for Smeal and then is now being reconsidered for DUS at University Park how long that usually takes? It was originally in early action application. Do you know if that goes to regular decision?

Daughter has 3.9 UW and 4.1 W GPA, several Honors and APs. 3 season Varsity athlete (captain of 2 teams) tons of other EC and community service. Applied TO and DUS and got denied for UP and got Harrisburg. Not even thrown back into the RD pool. Extremely disappointed.

does anyone think it will help me if i email admissions and tell them I will 100% commit if i get into UP. I’m just desperate for an answer at this point. LOL

1 Like

WOW! That is very surprising!! When did she apply? I’m asking because I wonder if it’s become a space available basis for DUS applicants hoping for UP?

same for mine. GPA’s very similar to your Daughter. Weighted slightly higher. Not TO. 1470 SAT. very surprising.

1 Like

JD…that’s just horrible. I do remember when my son did a virtual session with the admissions counselor prior to applying she said that DUS is no longer the way to go as it’s become more competitive these recent years. I’m not quoting her exactly but those were pretty much her words.

Oh my, what is your daughter’s major?

1 Like

Business

:woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:now I am super pessimistic :scream:

2 Likes