Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

unfortunately, no.

You can always try and ask, but I haven’t heard success with that.

They haven’t missed their deadline - it is still 9 days away. Take a deep breath, go for a walk, stop stalking admissions websites - it is just making you crazy (I know!).

What are your stats? We can try and provide guidance…

2 Likes

she applied in Oct. I get not getting in EA, it’s so arbitrary, but to not even go into regular pool when they admitted lower stats for EA is boggling.

1 Like

That’s not quite how it works though. EA and priority decisions will be based on the same information. So Penn State doesn’t really defer to the next round of applications unless they run out of time to consider your application. It’s not more difficult to get into EA than it is for Priority.
Once you get to rolling (which is after priority) it CAN get more difficult just due to space constraints. But at this point, nothing would be different in your application for priority vs EA.

You can call and ask for a less competitive major or add summer option, or both.
It is very difficult to compare your child’s GPA vs. another person’s GPA because grading scales vary wildly. It could be that at one school a 94% is an A, and at another school a 90% is an A. a 4.0 GPA would not be equal at both schools.

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah I get it. She goes to an extremely competitive high school so I don’t think its an issue of an “overinflated gpa”. We will just have to chalk it up to they had so many applications and a way to get through them is to toss a few. Or the fact that a lot of students from our school apply there and they have a quota for our school.

2 Likes

@jlhpsu Does Penn State deny some applicants as well, or is 2+2 their version of that? Trying to both understand the CDS and manage expectations.

What were stats?

1 Like

Is this weighted or unweighted

Weighted or unweighted ….my daughters we significantly different so thinking that was taken into account

No idea I bet it depends on how many people apply. For example my daughter applied to criminology which says it is ranked 5th in the nation. Does that make it harder or is difficulty to getting in a major more about how many people want it

I thought I would make a first-time post and say thank you for all the info I have gleaned from this page. My child was accepted last night. TO disappeared at 9pm, letter posted in LionPath at 9:15pm. Psychology major, UP, Fall 2023. So, positive decisions are still coming. Also, in case you are wondering, GPA is 3.83UW, 9 AP/DE/HN.

12 Likes

Congratulations!!

2 Likes

Daughter was accepted to Smeal but with Summer session requirement.
If we were to approach PSU for a reconsideration in order to get a Fall Term start - with DUS - when would we need to do this?
What is the time window for asking for a reconsideration, and then for hearing back?

I heard that even if we ask for a reconsideration, that our daughter will not lose the current acceptance… But, if the reconsideration goes through, is it an automatic shift?

Also, I just heard earlier today, and researched it, that the Penn State tuition significantly increases after students have completed 60 credits… It looks like tuition goes up 3700 hours a year just for being an upperclassman, is this correct?

Wondering if there are any decisions today as the school is closed? I have not seen any posted today that actually came today.

My child got hers this morning.

1 Like

My Daughter 23 was accepted to Univ Park 10 days ago.
Does anyone know how/when any scholarship info for PSU is released?

Stats for those to help.
Application was submitted on Nov 1
OOS from NY
Went test optional, 3.95 u/w & 4.17 weighted
Honors curriculum in private catholic school with a few DE college classes
varsity soccer, 1/2 dozen clubs + volunteer work, job experience as a lifeguard

My daughter got her acceptance this morning. Don’t know if the TO disappeared. She also said it was right there when she went into the portal, didn’t have to click anywhere else, no confetti.
She was accepted to UP, School of Education.
Application submitted Nov 1st
Out of State, Top MA HS
No SAT submitted, 3.43 unweighted GPA
Some AP classes
A lot of related work experience, volleyball, volunteering
Others at the HS heard last week
Very excited, loves Penn State

5 Likes

Interesting day of college mail for my son. One was a big white envelope from Penn State in University Park, PA saying congrats in big letters and tons of materials with We are Penn State and stickers etc…

Last thing in that packet was a letter saying it was Smeal but for Scranton! Only checked Scranton because of The Office as we are OOS and it was Smeal-UP or bust. Would feel really bad if this was his top choice as that envelope was a gut punch.

On the bright side the other mail was scholarship offers from other places.

This process is a roller coaster. :grinning:

1 Like

if she has been offered summer start, they’ve already decided she is not a match for Fall. I would take the Smeal summer offer and be happy with it.

yes, upperclass tuition is more than other years. it is based on credit hours completed.

2 Likes

So is the cost of attendance on PSU’s website for 2022-23, an average or the cost before you reach that 60 credit threshold?

Do you happen to know if someone gets into their second choice campus for Smeal and then is now being reconsidered for DUS at University Park how long that usually takes? It was originally in early action application. Do you know if that goes to regular decision?

1 Like