Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

In previous years they have made reconsideration decisions after all decisions for that application pool had been decided (so after other EA applications for the same major have been processed), but someone posted today that their child asked for reconsideration and were told that they may not get a decision until Spring. It remains to be seen if that is accurate this year or not as the process can change yearly.

3 Likes

Wasn’t sure if anyone answered you re: premed majors. My 2nd Penn Stater is a junior on the Premed/pre-PA route so we’ve been going through this. First, you don’t have to be in the premed major to be on a premed track. Penn State offers premed advising through Eberly College of Science, but students from any major
or any college can access it. Your kid can major in any of the hard sciences out of Eberly (bio, Chem, Biochem, micro, physics, biotech, etc.) or they can pick majors that integrate many or most of the med school prereqs into that degree’s curriculum.

Here are alternative majors that are often used as premed:
Biobehavioral Health (College of HHD)
Nutritional Sciences with Physiology and Biochem Option (College of HHD)
Kinesiology with Movement Science Option (College of HHD)
Immunology and Infectious Disease (College of Ag)
Pharmacology and Toxicology (College of Ag)

Point is: there are at least a dozen choices, only half of which are in the college of science. Your kid could even major in the humanities and add the premed course work in the side.

For med school, students need to protect the GPA at all costs, so don’t pick the hardest major just cause it’s the hardest and you think it will make her look good. Have her look at the course lists and see what topics sound the most interesting to her.

(My son is in biobehavioral health and loves it
balances psychology, epidemiology, public health topics, and gives students the flexibility to integrate most of the premed required courses as electives.)

Good luck with your journey.

6 Likes

In the past, DUS and summer was your best shot at getting in
but we are hearing DUS is getting much more competitive and that a liberal arts major and summer may be the best bet this year. Things change all of the time, all anyone can do is give advice based on historical data.
It is not at all rare for Penn State to reconsider admission and the student eventually gets accepted.

2 Likes

I agree with all of this 100%. How many times have we seen borderline students get a commonwealth, ask for reconsideration, get into UP and the parent shows up on the parent facebook groups months later stating their kid is failing out. Weed out classes are HARD and many 4.0 students who never really had to study in HS find the pace and work load very challenging.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the info!!

Congratulations! Did he apply for summer start or fall start? If he applied for fall, and he was admitted for summer, he has already been denied for fall. They consider you for your first choice start time first and only offer summer if they can’t admit for fall.
The only way to change to fall would be to select a different major.

1 Like

She got in for forensics but at Altoona. She did not select summer and was not expecting another campus. We are going to see if maybe we can swing summer for UP, if she can try that route. she doesn’t want to change majors

1 Like

Omg! So my sons TO NEVER went away
checked at 11pm and was there
his acceptance letter came in at midnight and TO is still there!? So exciting!

5 Likes

omg congrats!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!

2 Likes

congrats!!! now you can have a relaxing weekend!!

1 Like

congrats!!

1 Like

congrats to you and your family!

thank you so much for this info!! My son also wants to go on the premed/pre-PA route - and chose Kinesiology. So I am glad to hear that this is also an acceptable route to take.

1 Like

congats!!

2 Likes

Does Penn State Offer merit scholarship to international students, if yes, then when and where should i check?

For reference,
i got admitted to PSU on oct-27 for CS Fall 23.
GPA: 4.0/4.0 UW
SAT: Test Optional
EC: Buch of them with high rigor

1 Like

Thank you! It seems as though they are doing the science/pre med route acceptances now. His was the forth I saw today
his acceptance is in Lion Path as well

My first post
.so proud and happy for my daughter
.has received acceptances/merit at 6 schools
.but, tonight was accepted to her top choice
.UP, summer start, Eberly College of Science/Biology!!! We are!!

6 Likes

Congrats to all who heard last night!!! Still waiting here - my daughter is College of Liberal Arts. Haven’t seen too many others (I think - honestly all running together now).

2 Likes

Congratulations! If you made TO change at some point of time, some people reported various scenarios with TO button disappearing.

4 Likes