Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

I would reach out to Bellisario to ask them timing. They are a smaller college and I’ve found, very responsive. (One of my kids applied in Bellisario before changing her major to something else).

2 Likes

Yes this is my guess as well. He ended up falling into regular decision pool since his srar didn’t make it in in time. He did put down summer start. She was going to call today!

DS asked for reconsideration after offered 2+2 at Harrisburg. Changed to yes for summer start and undecided health and human development. He was accepted today to UP summer start. Thanks for all of the advice given on this page.

14 Likes

When did they ask for reconsideration? Was it sent in an email and how long did it take to get a response? Thank you for answering.

DS sent an email right before Christmas break and just heard back today. His portal changed to under review the first week of January, and then updated today with the acceptance to UP

1 Like

accepted! 31 ACT. international. major in cs, COE

3 Likes

does anyone know dates for summer start? DS has an archeology trip late June so he clicked no, but maybe it would have worked out?

@Buchholt check out this website for LEAP information. He doesn’t have to do LEAP - he can select other classes, but the dates are the same. Looks like classes begin Wednesday, June 28th (with a couple days of orientation first).

https://summersession.psu.edu/first-year-students/leap-program-university-park

thanks…right when he leaves for Rome. He’s been waiting 4 years and that his intended major…cant back out now. I guess we just hope for the best!

Did he hear yet? My son with high stats got waitlisted yesterday.

Does anyone know the chances of a student getting off the waitlist for admission to main campus?

Is anyone else having trouble logging into My PennState? I am getting an error message every time

It happens regularly and usually clears itself up within a few hours.

Thank you. I tried it in two different browsers

1 Like

Does anyone know the percentage of students that have submitted test scores (this year or last) year and what that range is/was? My daughter will be applying next fall and it is difficult to know whether a 1310 would be wise to submit.

@Calm I‘ve seen some statistics from last year - I will try to find them. Would she be stem or non-stem? (They broke them out separately).

@Lsmollin3 no clue this year.

One might think they would use the waitlist more since last year’s class was over-enrolled, but no clue.

There is a new VP of Enrollment Management, so he may be making different decisions.

1 Like

Sorry - no clear cut answer to that. The college is doing a review of everything. Most school admissions departments I’ve talked to (which does not include Penn, even though my son applied and was accepted with a 1240) pretty much said “yeah, its optional and even if its submitted it’s only one factor - and usually a small factor”. If someone has a great GPA and rank from a competitive school and a lot SAT I doubt they’re putting much weight on that. Or vice versa - if she has a 1310 but C grades, the 1310 could bolster (slightly) her resume. Layer in the qualitative essays, EC’s, etc…

Keep in mind that many schools having been test optional have boosted the stats for the middle 50%. People believing that if they’re not in the top 50%, I shouldn’t submit. Do that for a couple of years and the SAT bracket shifts higher. The college inherently is going to know that if a kid applies TO, it fell below the 50%.

1 Like

Has anyone heard about any merit awards yet? Where in the portal would you look or is it an email?
Thanks!

I don’t know if Penn awards merit outside of the normal financial aid process but it states on the portal -

We will notify you via email of your financial aid eligibility as early as February or within 7-10 business days after we receive your [FAFSA].

Sorry - not very specific but I suspect that’s intentional.

1 Like