Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

We did the same on 12/20. Do we have any reason to think that it will be treated differently than a deferral, i.e. we won’t hear until the very end of the process?

1 Like

Same here on 12/19. The local area recruiter told my son it would take “several weeks” before hearing back.

Hi again. we made our reconsideration back in November and was told they were hoping to have all reconsiderations complete by 1/31. Fingers crossed for everyone!

2 Likes

It appears they moved your application with 12/01 Rolling admission group. Anyone requested after 12/01 will hear after 01/31. Check the Dates & Deadlines posted on their site. It appears every reconsideration resets the application date.

2 Likes

D23 submitted at the end of October for Musical Theatre and was notified non-pass for prescreen on 11/15 (Penn State MT BFA is incredibly selective/competitive, so we were not surprised). In late December, she requested a change of major to Asian Studies. But they didn’t see the request until their return from winter break, so it wasn’t officially changed until Jan 3. She received an email on Jan 20 with a waitlist for UP or immediate admission to 2+2 at an alternative campus.

1 Like

OOS S23 submitted EA to Architecture (which is UP only) at the end of October but because his SAT wasn’t delivered by 11/1 he got pushed to RD pool. Rejected for Architecture - but encouraged to pick a different program. The outcome wasn’t terribly surprising given the size of their BArch program - only 60 first years students/cycle. Since S23 already has some acceptances with merit on the table we’ll be bowing out of Penn State. Good luck to everyone!

2 Likes

I’m not at all confident that my DD will be accepted to UP with the reconsideration but I don’t think she cares that much at this point. It was originally her first choice but she now has other acceptances, one which is UMASS which is in-state and a great option for her and a lot less $$.
Good luck to everyone!

3 Likes

We are same boat. I think my son has gotten past the fact that they denied him originally for Smeal UP and offered him up Harrisburg, since then he’s had three acceptances and two that have offered him very significant merit awards. We haven’t received anything yet since we did his reconsideration on January 3 either he was dumped into the regular decision pool or will find out before the end of this month.

2 Likes

I have a junior who’s very interested in Penn State. What are the easiest majors for admission?

Smeal college of Business is very challenging to get accepted into as pre-Business. My son applied to the College of Earth and Mineral Science for the Business, Energy, Finance course - they have classes at Smeal. He had a solid story - AP Environ, AP Econ and AP Stats. He also wrote his personal statement on why Penn State and specifically this course. Applied 10/16 accepted 11/26.

1 Like

Thanks for the info and congrats! Sounds like a great fit for him

1 Like

I should have added his stats. Certainly not top of his class and with these stats unlikely to have got into Smeal pre-business.
SAT: 1330 GPA: 3.78
11 Honors/ 6 AP Courses
State Residency: VA
Campus applied to/Campus accepted to: UP/UP
Very strong Extracurriculars - leadership Varsity hockey captain/AAA Tier 1 Hockey
Summer Opt: Yes, but admitted to FALL

I think you need to be very specific in choosing which college you apply to for Penn State. I know they don’t look at the common app essay (my son submitted it anyway), but I believe they do glance at the personal statement (specific question on Penn State application - some upload their personal essay here, but a good idea to use the space to craft an essay on why PS and why a course/college of specific interest). I Hope this helps a bit.

1 Like

He sounds similar in stats to my son but more focused on his major/interests/fit

I’m not sure about easiest majors, but the less common ones are often easier admits than the more common ones. For example, I’d bet that toxicology or immunology and infectious disease (both in the college of agriculture), or biobehavioral health (in the college of health and human development) are less competitive than biology or psychology. Overall, I think agriculture, education, and health and human development are the least competitive colleges. All Smeal majors, nursing, engineering (including CS), and architecture are very competitive.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Test Optional button FINALLY just DISSAPEARED!!! Not that I’ve been stalking it or anything…fingers crossed for an answer at midnight!!

6 Likes

He got his first YES! Applied to 10 schools and had only heard his Princeton deferral up until now…Dad & I are both PSU Main grads so this one was HUGE! College of Engineering, Computer Science. In-State, SAT: 1520 (1530 super score), GPA: 4.6 something ?? (weighted), large variety of extra-curriculars, Eagle scout candidate.

18 Likes

Just got into PSU Berks!

9 Likes

Where do we find more information about the LLC’s than what is on the Penn State website?

Specifically, son admitted to College of Engineering with Computer Science intended major. At first glance. Looks like there are two options E-House and FISE, but from the limited description and floor plans FISE doesn’t seem that appealing. There is also IST but I am not sure if that is available, or even recommended, for Engineering Comp Sci students.

Engineering House (E-House)

First-Year in Science and Engineering House (FISE)

There is also IST. From the description it sounds like it might be a better fit with better dorms, etc, than FISE, but is IST open to Comp Sci students?
Information Sciences and Technology House (IST)

Mine is the same! Haven’t looked into housing at all yet…still waiting on a bunch of answers from other schools, but being a Penn Stater myself, I would much prefer to live in West over Pollock.