Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

Where do you find the TO button? Is that only if you applied test optional?

Still waiting on a decision… applied before 11/1 deadline with SRAR, but official SAT score report came a few days later, which put us in rolling admission.

So frustrating to keep seeing “application under review”

Also, I saw this in the FAQ. Related to deferrals, but may still may applicable for those waiting for decisions by Jan 31.

“I received a deferral decision. What if I don’t have a decision by January 31?

You should have a decision in your MyPennState account by January 31. However, if that is not the case, give it a few more days for your account to update. It could be that we have made the decision, but it has not yet posted in your MyPennState account.”

So some of us may be waiting a bit longer? Frustrating!

The TO button is gone, able to login to lion path and there is a link under communications ‘undergraduate admit’ posted tonight and can’t open the link. Is this a Lionpath issue or the letter hasn’t posted live given they phase release over a few hours?

Try on a desktop computer. The link didn’t work on my phone but worked on the desktop

ok, thanks!

I would email admissions tomorrow and request reconsideration for a different major at UP. This is what my DD did and it worked. She requested a change to DUS and was open to summer start. Admitted to UP DUS Fall Start on Friday.

It is worth a try.

2 Likes

Nvm - got it. Needed to log in on a desktop. Never noticed a TO button and whether it disappeared, but was able to log into the lionpath portal and found the admission letter - Smeal UP!

2 Likes

Thank you so much he got into Smeal, so proud and grateful!

2 Likes

I know. Many in my family went there. Somehow I made it through paying my own way and never once received financial aid. It’s kind of surprising they don’t have more money for scholarships. This will be my first child to go. Older child went to Florida state. We are out of state so it’s a pretty hefty price tag when you have full tuition scholarships at other universities. Only reason we are still considering is her major…architectural engineering…and she’s been dancing competitively her whole life so believe it or not quality of university dance team is playing into our decision.

Hello! My son was admitted to Scranton in late December for Psych and we requested reconsideration for undecided at UP. To help his chances, he mentioned in his reconsideration request that he’d consider summer enrollment. Luckily, he was admitted this week for Summer 2023. Does anybody have some good intel on the summer enrollment? I think it would be great for him to ease the transition, but he’s hesitant about giving up his “last summer”.

Thanks!

Any thoughts about Penn State CS? Have read a lot of feedback available on other sites, was wondering if there are any Penn Alum here who can throw some light on this.

1 Like

@SeptaUnella i encourage you to read through this thread. Both @jlhpsu and I have provided lots of information and answered questions about summer.

TLDR: highly recommend summer.

1 Like

@CuriousType any specific questions?

Placement? Classes? Rigor? Accreditation?

@Floramom1 congrats. AE is a great major with 100% placement. Many kids are able to do the combined masters program in the 5 years if they plan well. Do some googling and check out the AE resources and college. Reach out if any specific questions-

1 Like

Congrats to all who got in in the last round!

A bit of each, if possible.

My son was originally accepted 2 + 2 and asked to be reconsidered which he was then accepted at UP for Summer start (which he cannot do due to a planned family trip over seas). He asked if “reconsideration” only applies to summer session or if it was even an option for fall (waiting to hear back)

My question is: If PS is accepting him at UP for summer and then he moves right into fall at UP, they obviously have room for him in the fall. I feel like this is a money grab. Am I missing the reasoning? His excitement for PS has def faded from being his first choice…He was accepted EA to Ohio State, Pitt, UDel and UMass-Amherst with merit (still waiting on Syracuse and UConn) so he is thrilled with his choices.

2 Likes

My daughter was admitted for Fall 2023 UP to Eberly (Forensic Science). She submitted her application for the 2023 Braddock Scholarship. Does anyone know when those decisions will come out?

@charlie1515 If your son asked for reconsideration, then they looked at him for fall. The decision tree goes like this:

(1) Accept for fall with major requested?
=> yes? yay!
=> no? did they opt for summer choice? if so, go to (2), if not, go to (3)
(2) accept for summer with major requested?
=> yes? yay!
=> no? go to (3)
(3) accept for campus selected with major requested?
=> yes? yay!

He went back through that decision tree again with reconsideration. When you asked for reconsideration, what did you change in the original application? Did you add summer start? Did you change major requested?

The hard reality is that kids “on the bubble” benefit from summer classes. Actually, let me re-phrase that: 99% of kids benefit from summer classes. both @jlhpsu and I have talked about summer start and LEAP and why it is a great program. My kids have done it (and did not “need” to) - I speak from experience.

The second hard reality is that Penn State - in the fall - is hard for many and a hard transition. Football weekends are time-suckers. Big classes are overwhelming. Roommate transitions can be tough. It isn’t just about getting to UP campus - now, they have to be successful there.

good luck. You can always call admissions and ask. But if you put down summer as an option and now he can’t go, then … sounds like he is souring on Penn State… don’t spend time and energy fighting it if he is thrilled with his other choices.

@CuriousType I would encourage you and your kid to dig around here:

https://bulletins.psu.edu/undergraduate/colleges/engineering/computer-science-bs/

there are specifics about academics and classes required.

If you go here:

there is information about career opportunities

rigor? it is a tough, quant major. I know kids in it and they work hard.

Accepted student day information is here (and there are some virtual days if a visit to campus is not possible… although highly recommended).

https://apply.psu.edu/portal/ASP-UP?cmd=en

good luck!

1 Like