Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

We applied EA to Penn State within the deadline. Realized they need SRAR and SAT official while applying. SRAR and SAT were submitted @1-2 weeks later. We have still not heard. Email to the admissions office said you in RD and you will hear when you will hear :slight_smile:

OOS son submitted EA to Smeal College of Business on October 31st but his SAT wasnā€™t delivered by 11/1 so he got pushed to RD pool. He was admitted as RD on Friday (2/10) to Smeal College of Business at University Park. However he is probably going to attend Ohio State Fisher College of Business. We visited it last week and he loved it.

1 Like

Weā€™re going to visit Ohio Fisher next week. I hope my son loves it too. Far for us but could be a good fit for my son.

2 Likes

My son (OOS) was admitted for Aerospace Engineering 2+2 at Altoona. Weā€™re considering requesting reconsideration for University Park. Is there a risk or advantage if he were to change his major to Physics, Math or DUS/undecided and then plan to switch to Aerospace? Heā€™s been accepted at other universities where he could be on the same campus for all 4 years which we think puts 2+2 as unlikely choice for him.

May want to request summary start at University Park in DUS. Then if he meets the requirements for engineering major, he can transfer in.

1 Like

Your student can switch to aerospace from DUS easily as long as he meets the entrance to major requirements. (Pre)Engineering majors also have to complete the ETM requirements. From physics or math, he would need to switch to DUS first, then complete ETM requirements. If he didnā€™t originally select the summer start option, requesting that now may help with reconsideration.

1 Like

thanks I appreciate your suggestions. He did check the summer option previously. weā€™ll request reconsideration and cross our fingers!

1 Like

Hi All,
Sorry Iā€™ve been MIA - Iā€™ve been on vacation for the last 2 weeks and did not have access to the internet.

@Apaus while itā€™s true that other schools have direct entry, most GOOD business schools will have requirements to STAY in. Which, actually is no different than the requirements Penn State puts to GET in. Once you are in at Penn State, then you donā€™t have to worry as long as you complete the requirements to graduate.

@Charlie257 Your question was answered above by Lucy Van Pelt but let me know if you have more questions. Basically, if your student switches to DUS during orientation, they can work towards any major.

@gizmocat43005 Iā€™m sorry Penn State doesnā€™t give more merit. Itā€™s notoriously rare to get aid from Penn State. I suggest everyone interested in Penn State (or any college, really) run the Net Price Calculator before applying so that they can see what their end responsibility would likely be. Good luck to your daughters! Kids usually end up exactly where they are supposed to be!

1 Like

Kiddo accepted to PSU University Park Fall 2023 for Biomedical Engineering.

Applied for Schreyer Honors College ā€¦ and I understand those decisions come out March 1st ā€¦ but does anyone have insight what time of day?

Thanks for any guidance!!!

PS - I think the way it lands nowā€¦ if accepted into SHC will very likely choose PSU ā€¦ if not will likely choose Georgia Tech. Personally as parent, I would ā€œfeel betterā€ if went to an Honors College, get large school feel, be in small school setting, and have a strong support structure. Believe GT is no doubt a top five engineering school and top two in biomedical engineering, but there, youā€™re just a number, good luck, very likely everyone graduates with much lower GPA b/c thatā€™s how they run their school and it precludes or greatly hinders med school applications, etc.

1 Like

Weā€™re sort of in the same boat. Accepted fall at up for architectural engineering. We attended the open house for AE and were floored by the small school atmosphere and placement for internships and employment after graduation. Just trying to justify the cost compared to full scholarships at other schools. Acceptance to SHC will only add to value and may push us over the edge to make it worthwhile.

1 Like

My husband is an PSU AE grad and I can say with certainty that the job prospects are excellent and the program all but ensures students have summer internships and a job when they graduate. The program IS small, and youā€™re right, it made the big school seem smaller. He loved his time there and is still good friends with so many people from that program. Honestly, if you can swing it, itā€™s worth the cost.

Thank you for this note! Really appreciate all the positive things Iā€™ve heard about AE program at Penn State!!

Good to hear good things about PSU! Would anyone have insights to share about the Computer science program at PSU? Would it be better as compared to CU Boulder? Ranking wise they are the same and the tech ecosystem is picking up on Boulder as well. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is Penn State admit to General Engg. and then have to maintain GPA to get into CS?

1 Like

Any feedback on PSU Smeal/UP vs Pumplin/VT, Poole/NCSU or Lerner/UDel. My kid prefers Smeal, but it will be the most expensive option. Is there a chance that financial awards are still given to accepted students? We like Smeal very much, but price tag for OOS is very high. Still not sure what to do.

1 Like

No one is in a major at Penn State until after they complete entry to major requirements. You were accepted as a pre-major, as everyone is.

The entry to major requirements for CS at PSU are at this link under ā€œHow to Get inā€
https://bulletins.psu.edu/undergraduate/colleges/engineering/computer-science-bs/#howtogetintext

2 Likes

@TheSlash_07 The biggest thing is getting a job at the conclusion of u/g. Is their an intended major? (I know more about some Smeal majors than others).

Look closely at Career Development and placement. Penn Stateā€™s career development center is excellent and while contacts are important, frankly, so is on-campus recruiting. Other career development departments may send you to individuals, but how many come on campus to recruit? The job fairs at Penn State are BIG (sometimes too much so), but kids get jobs. I speak from experience.

here is information about the upcoming Career Fair.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, we heard good things about Smeal and Penn State Alumni network in general. Penn State Graduates have one of the highest employability index after graduation in the nation. Thanks for reconfirming that.

1 Like

Anyone know of a Schreyer Honors College thread? Curious if one knows any detailsā€¦

To me, I think its a coin flip 3 or 4 times must all come up heads so to speakā€¦ probably a lot of equally deserving students, so its just math.

I believe it was over 4,000 applicants for 300 spots last year. Extremely competitive and essays are a big driver.